3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

I can't believe I dented my Fit

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by festiboi
This is totally embarrassing! It all started with good intentions to wax and detail the car, and before I know it, I ended up with body damage!

While waxing the roof, I was resting the elbow that was not doing the swiping and whipping, and once I stepped back, there were three dents on the roof above the passenger door where I was resting it. Gasp!!!!

I can't believe that it dented that easily. I used to wash cars for Enterprise in college, and have waxed my cars, and many friends and family's, for years without this ever happening. The roof panel caved in easier than Poland and must be paper thin.

This just happened an hour ago, so now making calls to the dent repair shops for estimates. Grrrr!!! Can't believe what a twit I was! Anyone else have experiences with the roof panels being easily dented?

Bionic Strength???

Old 08-26-2015, 02:09 PM
5 Year Member
How did she do that without leaving dents?
2015 Honda Fit - The Morning Fresh

Last edited by Press Fit; 08-26-2015 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:21 PM
Lol. Looks like she only weighs 80 lbs, but you can see the roof giving way a bit. Since it's not her car, I doubt she's too concerned.

Last edited by GoBucky; 08-26-2015 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Press Fit
How did she do that without leaving dents?
2015 Honda Fit - The Morning Fresh

How do you know she didn't?

Old 08-26-2015, 04:54 PM
5 Year Member
Pressure = force / unit surface area

This is certainly disconcerting. Is there any way to reinforce the roof so that you can't inadvertently cause damage? I wonder if you could remove the headliner and fix the dents from inside?

Anyway, 2 girls, 2 Fit roofs...
<geek>
pressure = force / surface area

An elbow is a relatively sharp object, which has a tip and then a smooth concave shape. Assuming that during the wax job Festiboi was leaning over but standing on the door lip, the weight on her elbow would only be a max of half of her body weight. Assuming a weight of 120 lb (sorry, we've not met and I'm getting personal), that would be ~60lb leaning on a very small 1 sq inch of surface area. P = F / Sa, P = 60/1 in sq, P = 60 lb/in sq

Morning Fresh KatieB, the cute thing she is, might weigh ~100lb (over GoBucky's estimate), with an estimated shoe size of 6. I'd calculate that each foot would be 9 x 2" = ~18 in sq. Using 2 feet that would be ~32 in sq. P = F/Sa, P = 100lb / 32 in sq, P = 3.125 lb/in sq

Conclusion: FestiBoi would dent the roof because of the much higher pressure than KatieB. The Fit roof can withstand low pressure.

Festiboi is one sharp elbowed gal with elbows at 60lb/in sq, while KatieB is flat footed and even pressured at 3.125 lb/in sq, a fraction of Festiboi.
</geek>

Old 08-26-2015, 05:25 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i suppose you could, but for the hail damage repair i did via PDR, i used a glue puller.

i too had dents on the rails from hail that i had to fix. that area has no give and easy to dent. in total my wife's GK had over 20 dents, a lot of them were deeper than the dents found on my GE's roof. the GK's roof with moon roof has less give so the impact energy does not seem to have a place to go but straight down into the metal.

the GE without moon roof, the panel has more give and thus the hail appeared to have bounced off more leaving shallower dents. overall the GE had less dents and much shallower vs GK. They were parked 4-5ft away from one another when the hail storm hit.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:15 AM
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
<geek>
pressure = force / surface area

An elbow is a relatively sharp object, which has a tip and then a smooth concave shape. Assuming that during the wax job Festiboi was leaning over but standing on the door lip, the weight on her elbow would only be a max of half of her body weight. Assuming a weight of 120 lb (sorry, we've not met and I'm getting personal), that would be ~60lb leaning on a very small 1 sq inch of surface area. P = F / Sa, P = 60/1 in sq, P = 60 lb/in sq

Morning Fresh KatieB, the cute thing she is, might weigh ~100lb (over GoBucky's estimate), with an estimated shoe size of 6. I'd calculate that each foot would be 9 x 2" = ~18 in sq. Using 2 feet that would be ~32 in sq. P = F/Sa, P = 100lb / 32 in sq, P = 3.125 lb/in sq

Conclusion: FestiBoi would dent the roof because of the much higher pressure than KatieB. The Fit roof can withstand low pressure.

Festiboi is one sharp elbowed gal with elbows at 60lb/in sq, while KatieB is flat footed and even pressured at 3.125 lb/in sq, a fraction of Festiboi.
</geek>
TorontoBoy, you really need to get out more.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:48 PM
I've got some micro dents up there too. mustve been the previous owner.. or maybe hail. no sign anywhere else tho

Old 11-24-2015, 07:53 PM
dents

Originally Posted by DannyJ7
Upside down can of compressed air for about 15 seconds (should be a visible spray), then run a heat gun over it very gingerly...should pop right back out.

Paintless Dent Repair Using a Heat Gun and a Can of Compressed Gas Duster - YouTube
NEVER DO THIS! this is the worse thing you can do to repair a dent. You will destroy the metal's memory causing even more damage. in the video, you can see the panel is wavy at the end. This ends up causing a "oil can" effect will even be difficult to repair using traditional body repair. It stretches the metal and will sound like a Snapple bottle lid.

also the Ding King repair kit you find in stores will move the metal, but without proper training, you will not get very good results. It is a waste of money and a poorly designed tool. The idea is correct but the actual tool causes more damage then what you started with.

I am a professional Hail and Dent tech. I work on nothing but dents about 50+ hrs a week. I am contracted out to Bentley, Rolls Royce, Audi, BMW, Maserati, Lamborghini, and Ferrari dealerships.

For your own sake, NEVER attempt to fix a dent yourself, you'll just end up making it worse, and more costly and more difficult to repair in the long run.

If you have dents similar to what the OP had, understand this, PDR techs are NEVER supposed to drill a roof rail. There are times when you need to drill on a car, but you never drill a roof rail. There is no access behind the dents to push them out properly. The only other ways to repair the damage is to use a glue pull system or induction method. (induction is very new an not used much yet, due to cost and training)

OP, the pricing is about right for your area, but he shouldn't have drilled anywhere on your car for these particular type of dents. Make sure there is touch up paint and a properly sized plug to prevent future corrosion.

@UglyEd on instagram if you want to see some of my previous repairs.

here is a GE fit that I repaired for a buddy from a Thule roof rack tower, they overloaded the weight capacity.
Name:  20141107_184329.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  93.8 KB
Name:  20141107_193101.jpg
Views: 1030
Size:  96.0 KB

here was a GMC Envoy I did as well. Even worse than the OP's dings. Roof rail damage, no drilling, glue pulling only.

Name:  20141126_092845.jpg
Views: 950
Size:  82.1 KB
Name:  20141126_150922.jpg
Views: 918
Size:  83.3 KB

Old 11-28-2015, 02:35 PM
Someone took the opportunity of denting my Fit on Black Friday. Oh well, crap happens.

Old 11-28-2015, 02:52 PM
After re-reading the Fit brochure, it states that there are pedestrian "crashzones" (?) in the frontal area of the car. Thinner, deformable sheetmetal?

Old 11-09-2016, 12:53 PM
I spent a long time talking with a Honda North America low-level service rep, over the course of two phone calls. His job was to tell me over and over that Honda does not consider this a defect, and that all cars are just the same. Obviously I said, no, I've never seen a car that dented this easily, and I think Honda needs to take responsibility. Their answer: nope.

So the bottom line is this is going to require a long-term battle, and car owners are going to have to push this until they finally admit it's real. Probably not until after a class action lawsuit, or the threat of one.

Old 11-12-2016, 08:11 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah good luck with dat. You shouldn't be pushing down on dat area anyway. It's a simple PDR fix. Don't waste ur time. Just get it pulled.