3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Anyone else get a loose engine splash shield under their car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 01:36 PM
Those clips come in a bag of 100 for $5 on amazon and ebay. Just seen them last night

Old 05-24-2017, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
Has anybody gone naked? No engine shield?

Old 05-24-2017, 04:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Colonel Panik
Has anybody gone naked? No engine shield?
Mine came that way....'15 LX bought CPO last June....guess it's the front part that's missing, I don't miss it, never knew it should've been there until I came here....LOL. I don't buy the "splash guard" speil, I'm convinced it's just an underbody aero bit to slightly help with mpg - cars have just fine run without them for well over 100 years, don't think that all of a sudden, the engine bay needs "splash" protection. Dealer tried to talk me into getting one when I had the oil changed....no thank you, very much

Old 05-25-2017, 09:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fuelish
Mine came that way....'15 LX bought CPO last June....guess it's the front part that's missing, I don't miss it, never knew it should've been there until I came here....LOL. I don't buy the "splash guard" speil, I'm convinced it's just an underbody aero bit to slightly help with mpg - cars have just fine run without them for well over 100 years, don't think that all of a sudden, the engine bay needs "splash" protection. Dealer tried to talk me into getting one when I had the oil changed....no thank you, very much
Honda spent a lot of money researching, designing, and making those shields. I doubt they did it without a good reason. I have some stainless steel, and the next time I remove that shield, I'm going to trace it onto the steel for future use. The two fasteners on the rear of that shield are ridiculous.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
Honda spent a lot of money researching, designing, and making those shields. I doubt they did it without a good reason.
I'm sure they did .... and I'm convinced it's solely for undercar aerodynamics/gas mileage....engines have been getting "splashed" for over a century, now, I can't be bothered.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:34 AM
Just to confirm, is this still an issue with the 2017 Honda Fit Ex?

Also, is this the correct item to purchase?
100 Pcs Bumper Hood Fender Splash Guard Retainer Clips Fasteners for Honda Acura | eBay

Old 06-04-2017, 12:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by RavenManiac
Just to confirm, is this still an issue with the 2017 Honda Fit Ex?

Also, is this the correct item to purchase?
100 Pcs Bumper Hood Fender Splash Guard Retainer Clips Fasteners for Honda Acura | eBay
Definitely not! If I can find the part number, I'll post it.

91514-TG1-T01 screws for rear of splash pan. I got six for about $6.00 from my dealer. Bernardi charges $0.36! Shipping costs almost $20, though. : )

http://www.bernardiparts.com/Honda-C...4-TG1-T01.aspx

Last edited by SilverEX15; 06-04-2017 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:47 PM
Wow! That's pricey shipping. I guess I'll get them from the dealer.

How many do you need per oil change?

Old 06-05-2017, 01:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
My GD you don't have to take the shield off to change the oil.
I bought a shield off amazon for like 30 bucks. its trimmed a little different than the stock one.
Here it is,,

Amazon Amazon

Old 06-05-2017, 02:19 AM
Looks good, but I need one for a 2017 Fit EX.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
Thanks. I thought I'd make one out of stainless steel I have, but the shape is way too complicated. I'll just have to avoid losing it. At my next oil change, I'm going to find a better way to attach it at the rear.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:11 PM
5 Year Member
I had my first oil/filter change and tire rotation at the dealer today, free. The SA was stunned when I told him not to reinstall the under cover. Does anyone know why Honda uses 2 plastic screws while the other six look like sheet metal screws? Honda calls them bolts, and the plastic screws, clips. See page 366 of the user manual.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone else get a loose engine splash shield under their car?-under-cover-6-screws-bolts-2-expansion-plastic-screws-clips-pg-366.jpg  
Old 06-20-2017, 12:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fuelish
Its the lowest thing on the car besides the oil pan and if you look right after driving on a wet road the unit is covered with road spooge, It sits right where the spray from the passenger wheel hits. Mine was crazy noisy so I used a hose to flush the compressor and a fair amount of sand and crud came out. Of course in Oregon we use sand on the roads so most of the winter so ther is a lot of debris to spray up,, but I cant believe bathing the AC clutch in salt is a good thing.

As a owner of a model T I can assure you protection from the weather is critical, the ignition is all exposed and is not insulated.. And don't get your hands in there in the rain.. LOL

I also kinda wonder how the under tray affects the air flow over the back of the motor,, Over heated coils anyone?

Old 06-20-2017, 06:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wasserball
I had my first oil/filter change and tire rotation at the dealer today, free. The SA was stunned when I told him not to reinstall the under cover. Does anyone know why Honda uses 2 plastic screws while the other six look like sheet metal screws? Honda calls them bolts, and the plastic screws, clips. See page 366 of the user manual.
Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

I break them almost every time I change the oil in my two Fits. New ones cost about $1.00 each. Immediately after installing one, I was unable to remove the screw. The next time I change the oil, I'm going to figure out a better way to attach the rear of the shield.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:23 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks to Wasserball for a nice photo of the underside of the splash shield. Using zip ties the splash shield does not fall off, and are easily replaceable for oil changes. Here are the zip tie locations I used:

2015-2017 Honda Fit splash shield, underside, zip tie locations.

2015-2017 Honda Fit splash shield, zip tie locations.

If you have the splash shield, then use it. If you don't use the splash shield, what will you do with it? Hang it on your wall as a reminder of inferior Honda engineering? The addition of two zip ties is easy, cheap, effective, and will not slow down your oil change much. You can even pre-thread the zip ties through the splash shield holes before you go under your car.

Last edited by TorontoBoy; 06-20-2017 at 07:42 AM.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
Thanks to Wasserball for a nice photo of the underside of the splash shield. Using zip ties the splash shield does not fall off, and are easily replaceable for oil changes. Here are the zip tie locations I used:

2015-2017 Honda Fit splash shield, underside, zip tie locations.

2015-2017 Honda Fit splash shield, zip tie locations.

If you have the splash shield, then use it. If you don't use the splash shield, what will you do with it? Hang it on your wall as a reminder of inferior Honda engineering? The addition of two zip ties is easy, cheap, effective, and will not slow down your oil change much.
Thanks for that.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy;
[/I
If you have the splash shield, then use it. If you don't use the splash shield, what will you do with it? Hang it on your wall as a reminder of inferior Honda engineering?
That's exactly what I did. I took your advice

Attached Thumbnails Anyone else get a loose engine splash shield under their car?-2ag_9094.jpg  
Old 06-20-2017, 08:21 AM
5 Year Member
Oh...my...I jest. Surely the splash shield is more useful attached to the underneath your car rather than protecting the inside wall of your garage?

Honda needs no more trophies for bad engineering. We also have the rear hatch cover, which, after it cracks, you can hang it on your wall. Thankfully I cannot hang up the 6th gear of my 6MT.

Last edited by TorontoBoy; 06-20-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
If you have the splash shield, then use it. If you don't use the splash shield, what will you do with it? Hang it on your wall as a reminder of inferior Honda engineering?
LOL reminds of the scene from World's Fastest Indian, if you haven't seen it then it's worth a viewing.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone else get a loose engine splash shield under their car?-1r720p.jpg  
Old 06-20-2017, 08:51 AM
5 Year Member
That is the tidiest garage I've ever seen. I keep my splash shield on my car because there is no where to hang it!

Quick Reply: Anyone else get a loose engine splash shield under their car?