3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Anyone else get a loose engine splash shield under their car?

Old 07-05-2015, 09:33 AM
Anyone else get a loose engine splash shield under their car?

Mine was just half falling off. It was flapping on the ground under my car.

I'm not talking about wheel splash guards, but the thin plastic under the cars engine.

Apparently like half the plastic tabs fell out and it was hanging down and hitting the road.

I did get an oil change at my dealership a couple weeks ago. Would it be from that? Or did half the tabs just fall out on their own?

We zip tied it back on and used a couple screws too. My dealership can't get me in til later this week...will I be ok to wait?

And anyone else have this problem?

I've only had the car 8 months!

Old 07-05-2015, 10:01 AM
5 Year Member
Yes, happened to me about 6 weeks after purchase before any oil change. Dealer took care of it and been fine since.

Link with pic: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ml#post1292444

Old 07-05-2015, 10:01 AM
5 Year Member
I would think if your oil change was done by the dealership, they are familiar with it and should have replaced the push-pin fasteners securely. Could you have run over any road debris? Unlikely it would get dislodged though. Sometimes pulling up to a parking space the front lower lip scrapes on the concrete bumper. But that's much further forward than the splash shield.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:24 PM
5 Year Member
Mine is hanging down at the rear - the two plastic screws/inserts were gone. Several of the other screws were missing, too, but those were standard screws and easy to replace. I had nothing in my shop that would work for the two rear holes, though, and our Honda dealer does not stock replacements.

es

Old 07-06-2015, 03:12 PM
I just changed my oil and yes, they likely didn't get all the screws back in securely. There are 6 screws and then the push pin type screws. Takes longer than changing the oil.....

Old 07-10-2015, 02:43 PM
Same Here

Yes,after having first oil change at a Honda Dealer ( to make sure the job was done correctly ) one day later heard what sounded like grinding gear,only to realize that the plastic oil panel was hanging off from the front end of it,scraping the road. could not believe this was happening one day after paying top dollar for a Honda certified oil change. Had to cancel days plans and return to Honda dealer. they took me in and said they fixed it. Now my fear is they simply used a skrew gun and skrewed it in. I don't know coz I cant get under car to look. what is going to happen next oil change, will I be told I have to buy a new plastic appartice for big money $$$ oh and btw when dealer fixed this problem they said no paperwork needed,its fixed. so I guess my problem was not properly documented,leaving me scared about next oil change.., Gee Thanks Honda

Old 07-10-2015, 05:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by twinriver3
...so I guess my problem was not properly documented,leaving me scared about next oil change.., Gee Thanks Honda
Sorta like getting gristle in your meat at a white tablecloth restaurant. If it bothers you I would get it documented because it's gonna be a while (hopefully) before you see the reminder wrench. I just got a B1 service at Honda for the same reason. Time will tell.

Old 07-12-2015, 02:01 PM
Screwed it

Rolled onto a parking bumper and it loosed the engine protective tray. The front lip/edge of the tray rests on the bumper- unless I push the tray back by hitting something. Then it flaps under the car.
I screwed the tray to the bumper.
I'd like to raise my Fit a bit.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:35 PM
5 Year Member
Sucky Push-Pins

Had my FIT at the dealer for the bumper recall which requires dropping the engine splash guard. That same evening I performed my first oil change and those clips fell right out ... dealer didn't bother to replace with new clips! They appear to be single-use clips: drop the pan and heave the clips.

Those clips are a cheap/cheesy/stupid design flaw. BUT - they are also very inexpensive:
Part Number: 91514-TG1-T01 $0.50 a piece.
I ordered 6 of them, replaced the two the dealer broke and have two sets for future oil changes.

By the way same dealer had to order the clips for me as they had none in stock ... probably why they didn't replace them when they should have.

Last edited by cheesewhiz; 07-17-2015 at 10:12 PM. Reason: correction
Old 07-17-2015, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member
YMMV, but in my experience, the odds of a dealer, Honda or otherwise, replacing trim clips they break during repairs are well below 50-50. And these clips are all designed to be cheap and assemble quickly. A side effect is that they are quite likely to break when they have to come out.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:32 PM
5 Year Member
Zip ties for peace of mind

I have changed my oil three times now, and each time I carefully tightened all the fasteners, paying special attention to the two weak expansion fasteners in the back. But even with my careful work, one fell out and let the plastic droop. I pondered putting in new expansion fasteners in the back, but I didn't feel comfortable, given what had happened. So I zip-tied the two rear connection points. Zip ties are very strong, and cheap. I will cut them off and put on new ones at every oil change. My mind is at peace now because I know the zip ties will hold. I used 3/16" wide, black zip ties, but I think 1/8" wide ones would also hold well. There are two holes sufficiently close together in the metal underbody where the expansion fastener is located. Thread the zip tie up through one, reach around the top side and thread it down through the other hole (not easy, but entirely possible with a modicum of patience). Then thread the zip tie through the plastic panel and zip it closed. Drive with confidence; sleep easy.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:41 AM
this just happened to me this week. not sure when the issue started happening, but the night after I get an oil change from the dealer I started hearing noise below the vehicle. check the next morning and the splash guard is dangling on one end. took it to the dealer this morning and was quoted 400$ for the replacement. Passed on that and they zip tied the shield in place.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:39 AM
Originally Posted by kmdkmd
this just happened to me this week. not sure when the issue started happening, but the night after I get an oil change from the dealer I started hearing noise below the vehicle. check the next morning and the splash guard is dangling on one end. took it to the dealer this morning and was quoted 400$ for the replacement. Passed on that and they zip tied the shield in place.
Really? Was the panel damaged? If so, This sounds like it's the dealers fault and should be replaced on their dime. I would call corporate over that one.

Old 07-23-2015, 02:32 AM
5 Year Member
I haven't had trouble with it yet. But can these be replaced with metal screws, if so I would like to know the size, etc.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:52 PM
7100 miles on 2015 Fit en route back from Orlando, Florida splash shield comes loose on US I-4. Got it off, and drove remainder of the way home. Getting replacement at helpful dealer on Friday. Kind of stunning on a new car, but these are the times we live in. Oil changed at dealer previous week.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fibrepunk
I haven't had trouble with it yet. But can these be replaced with metal screws, if so I would like to know the size, etc.
The two plastic "screws" at the rear are more like large expanding inserts. I have a pretty well-stocked shop here on my farm, and didn't have anything on hand I could use to replace mine. I've ordered several new sets from Honda (that are actually sitting in the shop right now waiting to be installed), and will look into whether I can replace them with dzus fasteners or something sturdier now that I have an extra set for comparison. Normal screws and bolts won't work, as there are no threads in the frame to accept them and the hole is pretty large.

es

Old 07-31-2015, 06:17 PM
So, we took the Fit to the dealer today who replaced the splash shield, and proceeded to tell us that the shield is prone to falling off easily when jolted or bumped. Of course, the Fit is pretty low to the ground, and some roads and terrain can be rough normally, so this is not the best news. An unhappy design flaw. A dissatisfied customer. The car itself is great. The splash shield, nada.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by Silkenfit
Mine was just half falling off. It was flapping on the ground under my car.

I'm not talking about wheel splash guards, but the thin plastic under the cars engine.

Apparently like half the plastic tabs fell out and it was hanging down and hitting the road.

I did get an oil change at my dealership a couple weeks ago. Would it be from that? Or did half the tabs just fall out on their own?

We zip tied it back on and used a couple screws too. My dealership can't get me in til later this week...will I be ok to wait?

And anyone else have this problem?

I've only had the car 8 months!

The shield is put on partially with cheap ass plastic screws. Must have turned that design over to a high school class.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:17 PM
And I thought I was the only one who this happened to driving last week didn't notice anything until someone pulled up next to me and said hey there is something hanging from underneath the rear of the car long and be hold the splash guard in the rear was falling off thank god it was early enough and the dealer was still open. to my surprise as well they tried to tell me that i hit something I'm standing there asking them what could i have hit with the rear of the car if i hit something wouldn't the front be the first to fall off they basically thought they were speaking to an idiot and told me the same thing that this is not a warranty issue that i would have to pay for repairs i told them the car is only 3 months old and i shouldn't have to pay. so i basically told them to take it off i don't need it. they were quick to say oh no that protects vital components I'm like really this tiny plastic is gonna stop a sharp object from going right through nice try so all of a sudden the manager comes out and says we will fix it for free this time I'm like thanks all it took was a couple of clips and it was fixed I'm happy with the car but not with how i was treated i have a feeling this isn't the first time its going to happen.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:11 PM
5 Year Member
This happened to me today. I changed the oil about two months ago and the clips just didn't feel secure when they went in. Today I heard a flapping underneath the car, immediately suspected it was the cover, looked, and lo and behold, it was.

I was about to buy 20 of the clips or so for future use, using the part number earlier in the thread, but man, shipping is expensive. Guess zip ties are the way to go. Gotta pick some up though.

EDIT: I picked up some crappy dollar-store zipties (the nice, thick kind being inconveniently located) and put'em on. I had to ziptie it to the other shield behind it, so it's not quite as flush as it was with the fastener, but it's a lot better. I couldn't see a way to ziptie to the metal without really tiny fingers.

EDIT2: I just saw Brian Jones' advice again - I'll pick up some "real" zip ties (the thicker black kind) and try to do that. I'm not very patient though.

Last edited by Sham24; 08-05-2015 at 07:07 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone else get a loose engine splash shield under their car?