3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Anyone else get a loose engine splash shield under their car?

Old 05-24-2019, 05:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Spyke
I just used nutserts (and the matching bolts with added washers) that I had as extras from doing my e36 x-brace.

Sheet ain't going NOWHERE.
Good idea, but you need that expensive, tool, right? Mine is fastened securely, and I remove that cover no more than about twice a year.

Old 05-28-2019, 10:26 AM
5 Year Member
No special tools. A dab of loctite, one reusable nut and two wrenches. Anyone can look up the pelican parts DIY:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tec...66-X-Brace.htm

Old 05-28-2019, 11:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Spyke
No special tools. A dab of loctite, one reusable nut and two wrenches. Anyone can look up the pelican parts DIY:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tec...66-X-Brace.htm
Thanks for that.

Old 05-17-2022, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member
What Can I Do?

I lightly touched a concrete bumper in a parking lot and my right front splash guard became loose. My friend got under the car and removed it so that it wouldn’t rub on anything and I took it to the dealer today to have them reattach it. Service tech came out and said they couldn’t reattach it because the engine cover was missing. I was pretty shocked and said I think I would notice if I lost the engine cover while driving. The service tech said that it didn’t look like it was ripped off. It was just missing. I brought the car back home and my friend got back under the car and said that the engine cover was there when he took the right front flash guard off.
Is this a common scam? My friend is positive that the engine cover was on the car before I took it to the dealer. What should I do?

Old 05-17-2022, 10:49 PM
5 Year Member
I reinforce the shield on my 16 with a few strips of Gorilla Duct Tape.

Old 05-18-2022, 12:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Pro Fit
I lightly touched a concrete bumper in a parking lot and my right front splash guard became loose. My friend got under the car and removed it so that it wouldn’t rub on anything and I took it to the dealer today to have them reattach it. Service tech came out and said they couldn’t reattach it because the engine cover was missing. I was pretty shocked and said I think I would notice if I lost the engine cover while driving. The service tech said that it didn’t look like it was ripped off. It was just missing. I brought the car back home and my friend got back under the car and said that the engine cover was there when he took the right front flash guard off.
Is this a common scam? My friend is positive that the engine cover was on the car before I took it to the dealer. What should I do?
You can buy an aftermarket one new--the entire assembly for $60.00 from this place in California:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324740911797

Old 05-18-2022, 08:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Pro Fit
Funny! Awful, but funny. Dealers have to make money, and they will do whatever it takes. Missing engine shields was a popular topic a year or more ago. They come off easily, and they cost over $100 to replace. That's a reasonable price because it's a piece of composite material with a complex shape. It takes skilled craftsmen hours to make each one.

Honda really messed up with the design of the two rear attaching points. I don't know why they thought plastic-into-plastic was the best design. I use the standard plastic push fasteners (like the use elsewhere on the car) to hold that in place. That's on my son's car. On my car - done first - I used steel pins with clips though them. Similar to below.

Old 05-18-2022, 11:40 AM
5 Year Member
@SilverEX15 How come you are getting 10 MPG! better than me on my meticulously maintained 2015 FIT?

Do you drive highways 90%+?

Old 05-22-2022, 11:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FITEsq
@SilverEX15 How come you are getting 10 MPG! better than me on my meticulously maintained 2015 FIT?

MPG? Good question. Mostly steady highway driving at 55 and 45. Lots of downhills going into town, but they're uphills coming home. I take my foot off the gas on downhills. I know a couple of long red lights, and I shut off the engine. I've seen tests that show that after 30 seconds with the engine shut off, you come out ahead. I just do that with long lights, freight trains, highway work, etc.

Probably 98% of the time.

Old 05-23-2022, 08:11 AM
5 Year Member

A lot of it is, just the roads you're driving. When I lived further away from work and was mostly doing highway miles, I would be in the mid 40's mpg consistently. Even got almost 48 MPG on one tank. Now that I live in town and18 miles from work, MPG is consistently low to mid 30s.

Old 05-23-2022, 08:23 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
A lot of it is, just the roads you're driving. When I lived further away from work and was mostly doing highway miles, I would be in the mid 40's mpg consistently. Even got almost 48 MPG on one tank. Now that I live in town and18 miles from work, MPG is consistently low to mid 30s.
Mileage is tremendously dependent on the ambient temperature. As soon as it gets warm, my MPG goes way up. Driving into town (about 20 miles), 50+ MPG is typical. Three days in a row, I got 51, 50, 49 MPG. Coming home (uphill), it's in the 40s.