3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Anyone else get a loose engine splash shield under their car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 05:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FITEsq
It happened to me a while back.

Now the dealer changed it's policy and replaces all teh clamps and screws new on each oil change for FIT.

I pull over a few blocks away after the change and always check the work.

It's always a good policy to check the work after a dealer because there are so many techs coming and going you never know.

I also use a Sharpee to mark the filter to make sure its changed.

One time on FIT and years ago on a Nissan (at pep boys) they did not change it and I called them on it. You never know--mark your filter when the engine is cold before the change.

At the Honda Dealer they explained to me, after reviewing a video of the service bay and the tech working on my car, that he just plain forgot because he was as they told me "chasing hours," car dealer jargon. The techs need to work fast to get their hours in to make the most commission for work that day. The Dealer compensated me with $300.00 credit for future work for the mistake but cautioned that it can happen again because that is how techs are compensated and they get pulled in different directions.
So basically, the dealer apologized for the way he runs his business - pushing the guys to work fast, rather than to work right.

A few years ago, a dealer messed up a timing belt replacement and gave me a free oil change as compensation. Two days later, the oil drain plug fell out and ruined the engine. I got a rebuilt engine. : )

Old 12-22-2017, 12:35 AM
5 Year Member
I would love to go to a better dealer for service, but in the Los Angeles area, they are all mediocre. It's very expensive to live in this area and the money they pay their techs does not support any lifestyle here so techs come to the dealer, get experience and move on eventually. Same issue with my road bicycle--the experienced techs at the bike shops can't afford to stay, they keep moving on to other occupations that pay more or they move to cheaper States or communities and remain as techs. Really same in most businesses here. Hard to find quality service when you don't make a position a well paid career position where someone can afford the housing.

Old 12-22-2017, 12:37 AM
5 Year Member
Silver EX15: Why are you getting 10 MPG more than I am? Do you drive 95% highway?

Old 12-23-2017, 12:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
I would bet that Aisin makes all their CVT boxes, including Honda's. Stands to reason their fluids would be similar, but there is still specs by the purchasing company that adjust the end product.

You can tell a lot if you request the MSDS on any fluid you buy, they have to give it to you by law.
You can usually get the MSDS on-line from manufacturer's web site. However I don't think you can tell everything you need to know. The MSDS focuses on how the product can harm a person, if used unsafely, not on how it can harm a vehicle if you put it into a vehicle it is not appropriate for. They don't even seem to list all the ingredients, just the possibly harmful to human ingredients.

Old 12-24-2017, 05:59 AM
5 Year Member
Silver EX15: Why are you getting 10 MPG more than I am? Do you drive 95% highway?
I live in the country, so I seldom stop at traffic lights or get stuck in traffic. There are three lights between my house and town. Of course, once I get into town it's all lights and traffic. I avoid Interstate driving because 65 - 75 MPH kills mileage, and I don't like paying tolls. Last year, I paid $230 to drive on the NY Thruway.

If there's a long downhill, I shift into neutral a coast. My mileage has dropped dramatically since the cold weather arrived. Driving short distances gives me mileage in the mid 30s. Driving into town in warm weather will give me about 53 mpg, but coming home would be in the mid 40s - lots of hills here.

Old 12-25-2017, 12:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
I live in the country, so I seldom stop at traffic lights or get stuck in traffic. There are three lights between my house and town. Of course, once I get into town it's all lights and traffic. I avoid Interstate driving because 65 - 75 MPH kills mileage, and I don't like paying tolls. Last year, I paid $230 to drive on the NY Thruway.

If there's a long downhill, I shift into neutral a coast. My mileage has dropped dramatically since the cold weather arrived. Driving short distances gives me mileage in the mid 30s. Driving into town in warm weather will give me about 53 mpg, but coming home would be in the mid 40s - lots of hills here.
Thanks for taking the time to let me know how you achieved such great mileage.

My driving is a lot of stop and go, tons of traffics lights, stop signs, heavily congested roadways. Even on the highway--lots of breaking.

I did recently take a drive to Tucson from Los Angeles and back 95% highways using Economy mode at times and had to use the Air Conditioner for parts of it in the desert. I averaged 38 to 41 MPG. I was happy with that.

The speed limit in Arizona is 75 and traffic pushed 90 in many parts especially on I-10 from the CA border East. I dipped up to 90+ a few times keeping up. I was glad to see that the FIT was very comfortable at that speed. But for most of the ride I just put the Cruise on 80 in AZ to keep the Fuzz off my tail.

As a side note, I posted elsewhere here that when the FIT had 25K miles last spring, I changed the Firestone FR 740's out for BF Goodrich Z rated Comp All Season. Improved my ride dramatically. They are much cheaper than the Firestone's too and fit without any modifications.

Old 02-01-2018, 04:48 PM
5 Year Member
Well yesterday my son joined the loose engine splash shield club. A week ago he took his 2015 Fit EX into the local highly regarded Honda dealer for an engine & CVT oil change in preparation for a cross country drive. He hit the road yesterday.

He gets about 125 miles from here before the !@#$%* shield comes loose. He calls me & we do a bit of trouble shooting. I called the dealer who screwed up & talked to a tech. He said as long as it wasn't dragging on the ground that is was safe to continue motoring. They told me to send them a bill for the repair & they would refund any money paid. The shield is not dragging on the ground just flapping at the rear as the car gets up about 70ish mph. He soldiers on until his night time layover.

This morning he hits a Honda dealer west of Chicago & they fix those darned farkin missing widgets with new ones. No cost due to his Honda extended warranty.

Happy ending. But hey Honda why such a stupid design??

Old 02-01-2018, 06:06 PM
5 Year Member
247 replies

I turned mine into a museum piece after the first oil change.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone else get a loose engine splash shield under their car?-2ah_8847a.jpg  
Old 02-01-2018, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member
Great idea Wasserball.

That guard is a nuisance on the car. After every change I have to inspect it to make sure they put it back right.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:44 AM
5 Year Member
Great idea Wasserball.

That guard is a nuisance on the car. After every change I have to inspect it to make sure they put it back right.
If Honda went to the trouble and expense of designing it and manufacturing it, there must be a good reason.

Old 02-02-2018, 07:07 AM
5 Year Member
Not sure if it rises to the level of Ansel Adams, but hey art is subjective.

Rather than blaming the splash shield, blame the Honda dealership/technician doing the work. The only time I've had an issue was when I let the dealership do their first free oil change. Since I've done the oil changes myself and haven't had any problems.

Old 02-02-2018, 07:47 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
Not sure if it rises to the level of Ansel Adams, but hey art is subjective.

Rather than blaming the splash shield, blame the Honda dealership/technician doing the work. The only time I've had an issue was when I let the dealership do their first free oil change. Since I've done the oil changes myself and haven't had any problems.
The less the dealer touches my car, the better I like it. I've been to two dealers, and I like neither.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:55 AM
5 Year Member
The less the dealer touches my car, the better I like it. I've been to two dealers, and I like neither.
Agreed. Like I said, they didn't put my splashshield on correctly after the oil change and I felt it flapping.

When they did the rusty door handle recall, they left grease all over the doors and they also scratched up the door area. I didn't notice the scratches, bud did have them take the car back and clean up the grease. I went back and had them fix the scratches at a body shop after I noticed that night.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:50 AM
5 Year Member
Agreed. Like I said, they didn't put my splashshield on correctly after the oil change and I felt it flapping.

When they did the rusty door handle recall, they left grease all over the doors and they also scratched up the door area. I didn't notice the scratches, bud did have them take the car back and clean up the grease. I went back and had them fix the scratches at a body shop after I noticed that night.
When the dealer did the front bumper recall, that involved removing the fenders, and the guy broke a tab that hold the fender on. I found discovcered that when I had to remove the fenders to replace the horns - ridiculous requirement to work on the horns.

Old 02-02-2018, 11:02 AM
5 Year Member
Yes it is the tech's fault for not attaching that darned try correctly. But Honda also deserves credit for such a poor design. Why did they do it? Some computer told them they could save 10 cents per car. They now build cars as cheap as they can to maximize profits.

wasserball love the gallery.

Old 02-02-2018, 11:11 AM
5 Year Member
Not sure if it's that poor of a design. I've got 53k miles on mine and the only time it had the issue was when the dealership did the oil change. You would think it'd fall off with a non ASE certified non dealership trained puke doing his own oil changes

Old 02-02-2018, 12:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wasserball
247 replies

I turned mine into a museum piece after the first oil change.
I was going to make a joke about that, but I see the joke is hanging on your wall.

Old 02-09-2018, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member
Not sure if it's that poor of a design. I've got 53k miles on mine and the only time it had the issue was when the dealership did the oil change. You would think it'd fall off with a non ASE certified non dealership trained puke doing his own oil changes
I do my own oil changes, and the only time mine has come loose was when I hit a cat, which broke the under-car air dam and sheared 7 plastic fasteners.

Poor kitty.

Old 02-09-2018, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member
My DIY hasn't lost a shield, either, but removing and replacing the two plastic things in the rear is a nuisance. Now I just use the plastic push plugs - the bumper attachment plugs.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:19 PM
My DIY hasn't lost a shield, either, but removing and replacing the two plastic things in the rear is a nuisance. Now I just use the plastic push plugs - the bumper attachment plugs.
So how do you remove the two plastic things in the rear without breaking them like I did? I broke one, left the other on and just slid the shield to the side and completed the oil change. Now only one plastic thing in the rear of the shield. I'm planning on going to Honda in the morning to get a replacement, but after reading most of the this thread, it looks like I may need more than one.

I can't believe a 20min (MAX) oil change can take over an hour because of that stupid shield!!

Quick Reply: Anyone else get a loose engine splash shield under their car?