3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Anyone else get a loose engine splash shield under their car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 11:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
Very funny! And sad, if it fell off and is laying on the side of some unknown road.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
sad, if it fell off and is laying on the side of some unknown road.
Maybe we should all write our phone numbers on our splash shields so they can find their way home if (when) they fall off.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:48 AM
5 Year Member
Yes, 2015 EX Manual. Happened almost immediately.

Old 07-07-2017, 06:34 PM
5 Year Member
I've been watching mine carefully for the 16 months I've had my car and have had no problems. I did my first oil and filter in the driveway about 6 months ago and had no problem re-attaching the shield. It's been fine.
Today I took my car to the dealership for the first time for oil and filter. When I arrived home, 3 or 4 minute drive, I looked under the car. The splash shield is hanging. The rear right fastener is not even there. AM I ANNOYED!!!!

Old 07-07-2017, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Press Fit
That is the tidiest garage I've ever seen. I keep my splash shield on my car because there is no where to hang it!

Notice Honda provided the "Depend" pad to absorb the oil in the event of a leak. So, instead of getting washed out, it stays with the undercover forever. Great idea, Honda. It is not something you can go to the parts and say, I need some of them Honda Depend Pads

Last edited by wasserball; 07-07-2017 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:41 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MelR
I've been watching mine carefully for the 16 months I've had my car and have had no problems. I did my first oil and filter in the driveway about 6 months ago and had no problem re-attaching the shield. It's been fine.
Today I took my car to the dealership for the first time for oil and filter. When I arrived home, 3 or 4 minute drive, I looked under the car. The splash shield is hanging. The rear right fastener is not even there. AM I ANNOYED!!!!
yep, dealers suck. my cars never see the dealer once driven off the lot unless for warranty repair. my last car was 8yrs old before i sold her and she never visited the dealer after i bought her.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
yep, dealers suck. my cars never see the dealer once driven off the lot unless for warranty repair. my last car was 8yrs old before i sold her and she never visited the dealer after i bought her.
It's a shame that dealers can't be good. All they have to do is be honest.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:33 AM
2016 LX, <10K: Scraped a parking bumper ever-so-slightly (seemed like). Two days later, heard flapping on the highway and then discovered the plate was sagging on one side.

Thank goodness it's not a major issue, and for all the info. here.

Old 09-22-2017, 03:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
Those plastic "screws" aren't really screws. They are expansion fasteners where you push the "screw" straight into the expanding part to spread the end out. The "threads" are just there to make it easier to remove. If you do the normal thing and push inward while unscrewing it will just stay in place, feeling like the thread is stripped. If you push inward with a very light touch it will come right out. Not a fastener for a ham-handed mechanic.

To reinstall, you don't have to screw it in. Just push the "screw" straight in and you are done. You can't get it tight since it isn't made to tighten.

Yes, Honda could have done it better, but it is really just made to facilitate assembly. the push fasteners do the initial positioning for the insertion of the metal screws.
OK! You Da Man!

Old 09-22-2017, 04:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
Those plastic "screws" aren't really screws. They are expansion fasteners where you push the "screw" straight into the expanding part to spread the end out. The "threads" are just there to make it easier to remove. If you do the normal thing and push inward while unscrewing it will just stay in place, feeling like the thread is stripped. If you push inward with a very light touch it will come right out. Not a fastener for a ham-handed mechanic.

To reinstall, you don't have to screw it in. Just push the "screw" straight in and you are done. You can't get it tight since it isn't made to tighten.

Yes, Honda could have done it better, but it is really just made to facilitate assembly. the push fasteners do the initial positioning for the insertion of the metal screws.
If you're talking about the two rear fasteners on the splash shield, mine are actually little plastic screws with tiny Philips head slots cut into the head. I bought a bunch from my dealer (about $1.00 each) for our two Fits. As soon as I screwed one in, I tried to remove it - no luck. The head just stripped out.

Old 09-22-2017, 04:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nomenclator
OK! You Da Man!
In the next few days, I'm going to try a new way to attach the rear of the shield with nuts and bolts. If I'm satisfied with it, I'll post pictures.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:34 AM
5 Year Member
Someone in this thread suggested that the ability of the engine cover to easily fall off is an intentional design element. Perhaps the idea is, that if you hit it, instead of bending and breaking and perhaps moving upwards and damaging the engine in the process, it just falls downward and off. Perhaps the little clips that the screws go into, will just slide away from their location. The plastic clips will easily shear or pull apart. Only problem is, as GeorgeL's comment has hinted, people, including "Honda technicians" have been using the plastic clips incorrectly – and damaging them by putting too much down-force on them when they try to remove them with a screwdriver.

By the way, it is a simple matter to replace the screwoid clips, part number number 91514-TG1-T01 with the more straightforward and less screwy bumper clips, part number – for which it is obvious that they are need to be pried apart rather than unscrewed, and pushed in rather than screwed in. They are both for fastening two sheets of material each having a 10 mm hole.

Last edited by nomenclator; 09-22-2017 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-30-2017, 11:38 PM
5 Year Member
Had my third oil change at the dealer yesterday. Today, just driving down the freeway, and a horrible flapping noise came from the front, felt through the steering column. Pulled over on the freeway....you guessed it. Splash shield had come off completely in back, still secured in front, looked torn. Somehow I managed to stuff it back in enough to get home. Sent the dealer an email explaining the situation, wondering if they had not secured the clips after draining the oil, and to please advise. Once they get back to me, I'll post here.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bargainguy
Had my third oil change at the dealer yesterday. Today, just driving down the freeway, and a horrible flapping noise came from the front, felt through the steering column. Pulled over on the freeway....you guessed it. Splash shield had come off completely in back, still secured in front, looked torn. Somehow I managed to stuff it back in enough to get home. Sent the dealer an email explaining the situation, wondering if they had not secured the clips after draining the oil, and to please advise. Once they get back to me, I'll post here.
Another reason I avoid the dealer.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
Another reason I avoid the dealer.
There are too many documented cases where after a dealer oil change the splash shield has come off, causing issues with who is at fault. Dealers may or may not admit and fix their error. I don't want to take a chance. Honda should clarify this uncertainty.

Old 10-01-2017, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, I know that getting oil changes at the dealership is perhaps not the best idea, but they have the cheapest rates around for synthetic. $21.95 for Mobil 1 with a coupon, came to just under $26 with tax/disposal fee etc. The cheapest synthetic change I can get anywhere else locally is at least $20 more. I know the dealer uses the oil change as a loss leader just to get you in, and that's OK, but when the splash shield comes apart as you're driving, no fun.

Old 10-01-2017, 01:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Press Fit
Maybe we should all write our phone numbers on our splash shields so they can find their way home if (when) they fall off.
And offer a reward. : )

Old 10-01-2017, 01:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bargainguy
Yeah, I know that getting oil changes at the dealership is perhaps not the best idea, but they have the cheapest rates around for synthetic. $21.95 for Mobil 1 with a coupon, came to just under $26 with tax/disposal fee etc. The cheapest synthetic change I can get anywhere else locally is at least $20 more. I know the dealer uses the oil change as a loss leader just to get you in, and that's OK, but when the splash shield comes apart as you're driving, no fun.
That's cheaper than I can do it myself, but Milwaukee is a long drive. : )

Old 10-01-2017, 01:45 PM
5 Year Member
Interesting, I was under the impression Honda insisted it had to be Honda Oil, my dealer only uses their oil and wont put anything else in the car..

Old 10-01-2017, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member
Apparently not with this dealer! Here's Honda's official position:

Oil & Filter FAQ for Honda Vehicles | Honda Maintenance

This is the first oil change coupon from this dealer that I've seen with Mobil 1. Previous coupons were for synthetic oil (unspecified brand), and they'd advertise a low price, but with a gotcha - that price was for a non-Honda filter. They'd ask at the service desk, do you want a Honda filter for an additional fee?

Quick Reply: Anyone else get a loose engine splash shield under their car?