3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Where to place blindspot mirrors?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 05:20 PM
Question Where to place blindspot mirrors?

I am thinking of getting some of those round blindspot mirrors for the drivers side rear view mirror. On the 2015 Fit, where is the best place to place it on the mirror? I have seen some on the top right, some on the top left...I guess it depends on the car. What do you guys recommend?

Old 07-19-2015, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
I recommend that you learn how to adjust your driver's side mirror so you don't NEED a "blind spot" mirror.

The trick is to set your driver's side mirror "out" far enough that you can't see the side of the car in the mirror until your head is almost resting on the window glass. If you do this, by the time an overtaking car "disappears" from your center rear view mirror, it will show up in the side mirror. No blind spot mirror needed.

Old 07-19-2015, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator
or just look over at ur blind spot?

Old 07-20-2015, 02:32 AM
I just recently drove a Ford Fusion on a road trip (yes I know much bigger car) but it has those blind spot mirrors built into the side view mirrors. I personally found it much easier to see cars on the drivers side of the car when changing lanes and such.

Last edited by ncoflin; 07-20-2015 at 04:21 AM.
Old 07-20-2015, 03:17 AM
5 Year Member
There are techniques on Youtube to get an idea on how to adjust the side view mirrors.
The technique I use is to adjust your rear view mirror so it frames your rear window. Notice the objects on both right and left edge of rear window. Now adjust each side view mirror so that each object slightly overlaps in each side view mirror.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:06 AM
Originally Posted by xxryu139xx
or just look over at ur blind spot?

I can see those things on say a bus or a four door f350 with a long bed, but, this car?

Old 07-21-2015, 07:31 AM
I've put blind spot mirrors on several of my vehicles over the years, I find the most optimum location is the lower outside corner. They are also helpful when parallel parking or reverse parking (allows you to see the parking space lines, curb, etc).

Old 07-21-2015, 11:56 PM
Originally Posted by GoBucky
I've put blind spot mirrors on several of my vehicles over the years, I find the most optimum location is the lower outside corner. They are also helpful when parallel parking or reverse parking (allows you to see the parking space lines, curb, etc).
Thanks for the advice. I know I got a lot of hate here for wanting one. However I like them in the past even on smaller cars for all the reasons you mentioned.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:08 AM
Originally Posted by ncoflin
Thanks for the advice. I know I got a lot of hate here for wanting one. However I like them in the past even on smaller cars for all the reasons you mentioned.
Yeah, you will always get a lot of varied advice and opinions, bottom line is if you like them and they help you drive more safely, put 'em on.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:22 AM
5 Year Member
I've tried all those suggested adjustments for the driver's side mirror and how you have to have your head positioned and such, and I don't want to be turning my head if I don't have to. I got the round 360 degree adjustable mirrors and put them at the bottom left side of the driver's mirror and the passenger's. I only really use the passenger's for seeing a parking line or curb because while driving I use the camera for right lane looks, but for the driver's side, that curved big round mirror makes it so EASY to see several lanes and quickly lets me know where the traffic is to my left. They are great tools and your eyes will quickly learn to go to that spot where the blind spot mirrors are at.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:45 PM
5 Year Member
I use one like this in the lower inside corner. I've had them on several cars and find it very useful.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:58 AM
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
The trick is to set your driver's side mirror "out" far enough that you can't see the side of the car in the mirror until your head is almost resting on the window glass. If you do this, by the time an overtaking car "disappears" from your center rear view mirror, it will show up in the side mirror. No blind spot mirror needed.
I'm amazed at how well this works. Thank you!

Old 07-24-2015, 08:05 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by alphabitter
I'm amazed at how well this works. Thank you!
Truth be told, I can't take credit for this. I learned it from "Click and Clack" on "Car Talk" on NPR many years ago. My Dad and I were habitual listeners.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:39 PM
5 Year Member
I just can't get used to that built in "expanded view driver's mirror" (to me, it distorts the image and makes things worse), so I installed a couple of dedicated tiny blind spot mirrors, and now .... much better.

Old 07-24-2015, 03:02 PM
Truth be told, I can't take credit for this. I learned it from "Click and Clack" on "Car Talk" on NPR many years ago. My Dad and I were habitual listeners.
Learned this one from my Dad + Car Talk as well .
Here's the famous advice with explanation + graphic: How To: Adjust Your Mirrors to Avoid Blind Spots - Feature - Car and Driver

Old 07-24-2015, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by boatnik
Learned this one from my Dad + Car Talk as well .
Here's the famous advice with explanation + graphic: How To: Adjust Your Mirrors to Avoid Blind Spots - Feature - Car and Driver
When I first started driving, there was no one around to teach me any of these things. I had a car, but no idea how to set the mirrors, how to drive stick, how to check the oil. I learned it all through googling and trial and error. This article from car and driver is how I learned the correct way to set my mirrors and it's served me well ever since! I did have the little blind spot mirrors on my beetle though and they were a big help when parking.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:23 AM
Great show.
Either way, I got the information from you, so thank you.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:34 AM
I have nothing to add, but want to voice my appreciation for this thread. I had the same question as the op.