2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Rear View Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 10:00 AM
Rear View Mirror

[B][/B]
Every car I have ever owned will have a blind spot in it, and the Fit is no exception. My last car I put those small stick on blind spot mirrors on my outside mirrors.

Now I'm thinking about trying one of those Broadway type of mirrors that fit over your interior rear-view mirror.

Does anyone here have anything like this on their fit? If so, what is your opinion on them? Also, what size did you get and did you get the one that is flat or curved?

Any info or pics would be appreciated.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:48 AM
My opinion would just be to continue to check your blind spot. The fit has great visibility but even then you can never be too careful. I do want those little stick on mirrors for the sides though.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:13 PM
I do have a Broadway convex mirror that I have transferred to every car I've owned. Best $20 I've ever spent. I have it just because I'm used to it, it doesn't actually increase visibility to blinds spots outside.

Anyway, I would recommend adjusting your side mirrors correctly. You should not see the side of your car when looking at them (after all, why do you need to see the side of your car?). They should be adjusted outward. Many people don't do this. The blind spot after that should disappear or be VERY minimal.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:15 PM
BHP
I agree with shamoo. Whenever other family members drive my vehicles (NO ONE drives my Fit but ME), they always mess with the mirrors and adjust them so they can see the side of the car. This makes the side mirrors into rear view mirrors.

That's not why they are THERE. You should be able to adjust your mirrors so that, when a car is overtaking you, as soon as an object leaves the rear view mirror, you can see it in one of the side view mirrors, and as soon as you can't see it in the side view mirror, you should be able to see it beside you. When you are overtaking the reverse should be true.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:21 PM
I also have a Broadway that's been transferred through 4 cars over the last 10 years It is an old-school standard one, not convex, one of the smaller sizes they make but not the smallest, I forgot the actual number.

I eliminate my passenger side blind spot by adjusting the mirror so I can see out the rear passenger window. In my view from the mirror the far left side of the mirror cuts off right where my head is and right where the back window stops on the drivers side, so it's no use for driver's side blind spot, but I can use my side mirror for that very easily by just leaning forward a bit. I still use both side mirrors, but I don't have to move my head around as much and can keep my eyes on the road more and check the blind with a glance.

I'm pretty sure i'm going to buy a huge convex pretty soon for shits and giggles since the mirror placement doesn't interfere with the sun visors like all my other cars.

Also what Shamoo said, adjust your sides out until you can't see the side of your car. Helps a ton.

Last edited by Wanderer.; 08-01-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by BHP
I agree with shamoo. Whenever other family members drive my vehicles (NO ONE drives my Fit but ME), they always mess with the mirrors and adjust them so they can see the side of the car. This makes the side mirrors into rear view mirrors.

That's not why they are THERE. You should be able to adjust your mirrors so that, when a car is overtaking you, as soon as an object leaves the rear view mirror, you can see it in one of the side view mirrors, and as soon as you can't see it in the side view mirror, you should be able to see it beside you. When you are overtaking the reverse should be true.
You know it was just as you said. My mirrors were adjusted so I can see the sides of the car. I'm taking your and shamoo's advice and moving them out. I never really thought about this until now. Even old dogs can learn new tricks

Old 08-01-2013, 03:55 PM
5 Year Member
well you can def do what is stated above and get the broadway view mirror. I got the the 15" convex mirror as well and I love it. it totally shows you almost 180 deg .. takes a little bit to get used to but anything extra helps. thats my .02$

Old 08-01-2013, 04:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shamoo
I do have a Broadway convex mirror that I have transferred to every car I've owned. Best $20 I've ever spent. I have it just because I'm used to it, it doesn't actually increase visibility to blinds spots outside.

Anyway, I would recommend adjusting your side mirrors correctly. You should not see the side of your car when looking at them (after all, why do you need to see the side of your car?). They should be adjusted outward. Many people don't do this. The blind spot after that should disappear or be VERY minimal.

Agreed, very well spent $20 IMO. I bought
this. this.

Three things:
1) It sort of takes up more windshield space than you might expect. Rolling down hill to a T intersection might make you wish it were smaller/higher up. I found that rotating the actual mirror (this is a clip-on) 180 degrees vertically effectively moves the mirror up a few mm, which is helpful.

2) You want it adjusted so that you can see out both of the rear passenger windows. This sounds obvious, but it does take a bit of trial and error, and this way you will truly see the full benefit of this product. As soon as I can no longer see the car passing me in the convex mirror, they have just entered my peripheral vision.

3) It is odd to see your own face in the mirror, but you get used to it.

The mirror is helpful everywhere from the driveway to the highway. I still do a head check with every lane change, but I can always clearly see exactly what is going on around me. While it is not strictly necessary, I find it helps me out when I know I have to merge. At a glance I can see exactly where I want to be, and what speed I need to be going. I can track the spot easily, if someone starts braking or accelerating I know I will be right on top of it. If I see potential trouble up ahead, again, at a glance, I can start planning my escape. That has come in handy a few times.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:59 PM
5 Year Member
Old 08-02-2013, 01:49 AM
Banned
I like the old "look over your shoulder before moving over" trick. Eliminates the need for extraneous mirrors. Or use your main mirror to keep better track of vehicles coming up behind you before they get to your blind spot.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by loudbang
I like the old "look over your shoulder before moving over" trick. Eliminates the need for extraneous mirrors. Or use your main mirror to keep better track of vehicles coming up behind you before they get to your blind spot.
Exactly, this mirror is totally extraneous. Since I always thoroughly shoulder check before moving over, all this mirror provides is additional information. But for those of us that like to quickly check up on other drivers, it is very nice to have. I feel safer having the mirror installed.

If I didn't have a traffic heaving commute filled with lead footers, I might not miss this mirror.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:38 PM
I'm just like several of the other commenters, in that I'm very careful to double check before changing lanes, but I've also used a wide angle convex clip-on mirror for greatly increased "situational awareness". It's pretty much 180 degree view, except where your head is blocking the sight-line and you will have to get used to everything being smaller. I find myself using the side mirrors to confirm that the car several car-lengths behind me isn't a cop...

Old 08-12-2013, 04:00 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
the convex rear view mirrors are nice, but just becareful you familarize yourself with the distance... because the objects in your mirror are a lot closer.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member
I think I'll stick to the tried and true method of shoulder checking.

Despite what the guy in the video was saying... it's STILL a message that popped up in the video.

Shoulder check, signal, don't wait till the last second. Save what little bit of common sense there is.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:08 PM
5 Year Member
I haven't had an opportunity to try out a Broadway mirror, but I have been enjoying the benefits of using a "Wink" mirror. I've had one on each of my cars for the past 40 years.
True, they do take up a lot of the windshield "real estate," but I have never had a problem using one.
I am used to the flat mirrors on the Wink, but I am sure that I could get used to the curved Broadway mirrors over time. Also, I am guessing the Broadway mirrors are much easier to mount than a Wink. For some, the Wink install might be too much of a chore. If you are interested, here is a post that I did at another site: Wink Mirror Install... - Honda Fit Forums
In addition to using a Broadway or Wink mirror, I agree that correct setting of the side mirrors is a must (as shared by the previous posters).

Old 08-12-2013, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member
If I put a mirror larger than stock on my Fit I would have problems with forward visibility. As is I have to sink my head lower to look around my mirror for some turns. It doesn't help I'm 6'1".....

Old 08-15-2013, 11:30 AM
I'd suggest getting very accustomed to the convex or broadway mirrors. You've been checking your blind spots one way for your entire driving life, it's a hard habit to get used to once you change.