3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Window tint questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 11:41 AM
Window tint questions

I'm looking into window tint and have a few questions for those of you who have already done it:

1. I'm debating between 35% all around or 35% rear/50% front (legal limit here). I'm wondering what the reduced visibility is at night with 35% in front. Can anyone share their experience?

2. Additionally, has anyone had issues with peeling, bubbling, color fade, scratches (e.g. from seatbelts banging into them), etc? I've seen some pretty bad looking tint jobs which really detract from the overall look of a car.

3. Any opinions on getting the 5" tint line at the top of the windshield?

4. Any opinions on getting the sunroof tinted?

I received one quote so far for $255 for the 3M Color Stable film. I was told by the manager that they would probably be more expensive than anyone else, but they also had better reviews than all others.

I would greatly appreciate any insight and/or pictures.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:57 AM
1 - I'm in California and have 35% all around. Visibility at night is a little different at first - esp out the rear glass - but I got used to it quickly enough.
2 - No issues quality issues so far. Shouldn't be any with quality film and a good installer.
3 - n/a
4 - n/a

3M CS is what I have, and it has a lifetime warranty for just about all of the possible issues you mentioned in #2. And not sure what the cost differences may be from CA to WI, but I paid just a tad bit more than you from a well reviewed installer here in LA.

Last edited by dukers; 07-29-2015 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member
I have the Oregon limit of 35% and am pleased with it. I wouldn't want to go any darker. I've had no issue with night time driving but that might change when the winter rain returns (that's only a guess). Now that I think about it, it will probably cut the glare of lights on a rainy road.

My installer at Window Tinting / Paint Protection in Beaverton / Portland OR said that people unfastening their their seat belt and flinging the buckle over their shoulder is by far the biggest reason tinting gets dinged up. It's not covered by the warranty. I have retrained myself when I release my seat belt and I tell everyone that is riding with me to be aware of this issue. If bubble appear, I have a lifetime warranty with the manufacturer for replacement. Unfortunately, I have a tiny, tiny bubble that is "out of the way" and I have alerted the tech and he said just wait a couple more weeks to see if goes away. If not, I can return for a replacement.

My installer said he can't install a five inch strip across the top of the windshield because of the perforation. I didn't question him.

Someday I might get the sunroof tinted but I don't use it that much.

I paid $245 for 9 windows.

Last edited by Peterjens; 07-29-2015 at 08:02 PM. Reason: second thought
Old 07-29-2015, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
I have 20% all around. It does today a little bit to adjust to night driving but you will adjust quickly, and at 35%, you should have no issues.

I think tinting the roof is silly, but its your car so do as you wish. You have the shade if you don't want light coming in.

With the dot matrix on the upper band of the windshield, tinting it will be difficult. Bubbles or cloudiness will likely form. I'd say skip it because you'll probably be disappointed with the outcome.

With a quality product, it should stand up to scratches and stuff. And a good installer shouldn't leave you with bubbles/fading/cloudiness. If they do, make them redo it. Only use an installer that offers a lifetime warranty.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:43 AM
I didn't realize we had the dot matrix above the rear view mirror, I guess I just never noticed it before. Thanks for pointing that out, I agree, tinting over that would not turn out very well. Fortunately, that's the only place where there's dot matrix on the windows.

How does the tint look on top of the rear defroster heat lines? Are there any white lines or cloudiness caused by air gaps?

Old 07-30-2015, 08:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GoBucky
I'm looking into window tint and have a few questions for those of you who have already done it:

1. I'm debating between 35% all around or 35% rear/50% front (legal limit here). I'm wondering what the reduced visibility is at night with 35% in front. Can anyone share their experience?

2. Additionally, has anyone had issues with peeling, bubbling, color fade, scratches (e.g. from seatbelts banging into them), etc? I've seen some pretty bad looking tint jobs which really detract from the overall look of a car.

3. Any opinions on getting the 5" tint line at the top of the windshield?

4. Any opinions on getting the sunroof tinted?

I received one quote so far for $255 for the 3M Color Stable film. I was told by the manager that they would probably be more expensive than anyone else, but they also had better reviews than all others.

I would greatly appreciate any insight and/or pictures.
We did the tint when the car was new (1 year ago). My daughter did not want a dark tint job, so she opted for the 55% on the back and sides. She did however tint both the sunroof and front windshield (5 " strip), with 18%. No problems with the 5" strip so far. Tint really helps with the heat issue. She also likes the windshield strip for driving into the sun. As I recall the whole job was right around $325.00.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:27 PM
5 Year Member
No issues on the rear window with the defroster lines.