3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Where are all the Fits???

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 11:17 PM
5 Year Member
Guaranteed in neither country are Honda production line workers making just the local minimum wage. Beyond that, your post is spot on.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:59 AM
5 Year Member
They wouldn't make the Fit if they didn't make money on it..

It's the 3rd best selling car in Japan.. 77k units in the first quarter of this year alone..

2015 (Q1) Japan: Best-Selling Car Makes, Brands and Models

Honda has sold 900k vehicles this year to date, with only 4300 being imported..

Auto Sales - Markets Data Center - WSJ.com

Old 08-24-2015, 08:53 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by robs
They wouldn't make the Fit if they didn't make money on it..

It's the 3rd best selling car in Japan.. 77k units in the first quarter of this year alone..

2015 (Q1) Japan: Best-Selling Car Makes, Brands and Models

Honda has sold 900k vehicles this year to date, with only 4300 being imported..

Auto Sales - Markets Data Center - WSJ.com
Honda is a global company, and the Fit is a very important part of their model lineup in the rest of the world, particularly Europe and Asia.

Here in America, it's kind of a loss leader, and I'm surprised they even bother bringing it into the US, where SUV's and pickup trucks rule the "car" market.

Old 08-24-2015, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by Vanguard
Have you looked at the HRV (they are also hard to find right now)? I see it as a Fit on steroids. In some ways, I prefer the HRV, because it sits higher off the ground, so your not falling into and climbing out as much. It also gives you a higher viewpoint, which improves your ability to see whats around you. It still has the "Magic Seat" in the rear, and the trim levels closely mirror the Fit (LX, EX, EX-L). Of course, the EX also still has the LaneWatch that so many people like about Honda's, along with the moonroof and push button start.

While I don't agree that Honda is intentionally limiting supply of the Fits to push people into cars like the HRV (I think it has much more to do with the desire to build them in Japan for currency conversion reasons, and the production surplus for the Fit currently available in Japan). I do think the HRV is a nice alternative to other small cars from other manufacturers.

I would pass on either another Fit or HRV personally, and take a look at what Subaru offers, if for no other reason I am not a fan of the solid steel rear axle both the Fit and HRV use in the rear of the car. The Subaru has a 4-wheel independent suspension and comes with what many consider to be the best AWD on the market. Price may prevent you from going that direction however, which is why I asked you about the HRV (which runs just a little higher than the Fit).

If I was in the market for a Fit, and wanted nothing else, I would rent and wait for the new 2016 model and find one that was in fact built in Japan. That could be October however.
You read my mind. Yes, the HRV is now on my list. You're right, I look at it like like a Fit with 4in heels LOL.
Subaru is also on my list. Heck even the Mazda CX-3 as well.
Cost and gas mileage are my main factors.
My accident came at a really bad time as it was a switch over time to the new model year.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike_c70
You read my mind. Yes, the HRV is now on my list. You're right, I look at it like like a Fit with 4in heels LOL.
My accident came at a really bad time as it was a switch over time to the new model year.
On the Subaru forum, someone just posted a comparison in the October issue of Consumer Reports, that listed the Subaru XV Crosstrek as number one and I think the HRV came in #3 or 4, in this particular class of car. I have not read the article myself yet, but if sales are any indicator, that sounds about right.

I never realized just how much I disliked the rear suspension of the Fit until three weeks ago when I was sitting in the back of my Daughters 2015, when we hit a pot hole. It sounded and felt like we had been hit by another car, it was so jarring. Since the HRV shares that same rear suspension, I started looking at the Subaru (four wheel independent suspension). The problem is when most people test drive a car, they are sitting in the front seat, hanging onto the steering wheel. Most cars are designed to have a nice ride for the front passengers, but the Fit and HRV lack in comfort for the rear passengers. Now that we are older, we have more adult rear passengers and need something that will ride well for everyone.

Even then, we may need something a little larger for our Honda Odyssey replacement when it comes time to trade.

Last edited by Vanguard; 08-25-2015 at 06:51 AM.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:17 AM
Originally Posted by Dick W
Guaranteed in neither country are Honda production line workers making just the local minimum wage. Beyond that, your post is spot on.
Oh, I agree, but the prevailing wage will very likely be proportional to the minimum wage in each country.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:34 AM
5 Year Member
Not sure what it would cost to rent a car for a few months, but I'm betting it's considerable. You might be better off buying a used car and driving it for a few months. You could probably resell it without losing very much. Might be cheaper than renting.

That's if you still have your heart set on another Fit.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
Oh, I agree, but the prevailing wage will very likely be proportional to the minimum wage in each country.
Can't say about Mexico, but I'd be very surprised if Honda assembly line workers in Japan are making less in terms of local buying power than the workers in Marysville. Can't say how that works out for proportionality to minimum wage, but I suspect Japan is higher proportionally than the US.

Japan is an expensive place to live by any measure. The Sayama plant is in near suburban Tokyo. (Google Maps says Sayama is less than 60 km from the Imperial Palace.) Doesn't get much more expensive to live than that. They probably have people with one to two hour train commutes just so they can find affordable places to live. (Among the Japanese engineers I used to work with, this was quite common.) Even though they are reported to have very high productivity on the assembly line, their labor cost in Japan is still very high. Add in exchange rate issues and it's little wonder we get Fits from Mexico.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:48 PM
5 Year Member
Just picked up my 2015 fit ex (6MT) last Friday and love it! Like OP it is pretty ridiculous how hard it is to find. Galpin Honda had a blue and white one when I picked mine up (both 6MT). And I know Gardena has a couple. Other than that cvt is hard to come by but I seems like no one wants a 6MT here in LA hahaha

Old 08-27-2015, 01:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Dick W
Can't say about Mexico, but I'd be very surprised if Honda assembly line workers in Japan are making less in terms of local buying power than the workers in Marysville. Can't say how that works out for proportionality to minimum wage, but I suspect Japan is higher proportionally than the US.

Japan is an expensive place to live by any measure. The Sayama plant is in near suburban Tokyo. (Google Maps says Sayama is less than 60 km from the Imperial Palace.) Doesn't get much more expensive to live than that. They probably have people with one to two hour train commutes just so they can find affordable places to live. (Among the Japanese engineers I used to work with, this was quite common.) Even though they are reported to have very high productivity on the assembly line, their labor cost in Japan is still very high. Add in exchange rate issues and it's little wonder we get Fits from Mexico.
I recently read it was those exchange rate issues that is prompting Japan to take over the export of the Fit, that and current production surplus capability in Japanese FIT factories.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vanguard
I recently read it was those exchange rate issues that is prompting Japan to take over the export of the Fit
It's more favorable--USD buys more JPY--than it's been in a while. I'm sure this is making it possible to add Japan production Fits to the US market. But that can change in a hurry.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:49 AM
End of the model year. The sales direction this time of year for all cars is to get rid of the 2015's before the 2016's hit the supply line. Even if there are no changes, such as the FIT. (except for maybe Android Auto)

My local dealer had ONE FIT, black with a CVT. I finally found one I wanted 120 miles away...red with a 6 speed. That very large dealer had 2 Fit's on the lot.

Old 08-28-2015, 12:06 PM
They all went to WI

I know the following is not useful to someone in LA, but the two dealers near me (Madison, WI) have a surprising number of 2015 fits stock (15 in total). I asked a sales guy why, and he let slip that their dealership heard that supply was going to be tight, so they "bought the living snot out of them". I'm guessing the other dealership did likewise. I'm not sure it was a wise move since the 2016 models will be showing up soon. However, I've been watching their inventory, and sales have been steady because the Fit is a popular car around here. However, they seem to have trouble selling the yellow ones. I helped them a little with that.

Short version: You can't find Fits in LA because some punks in WI bought them all ;)

Old 08-28-2015, 12:21 PM
5 Year Member
i too have looked at the hrv, cx3 and crosstrek. out of curiosity and anticipating a good laugh i asked my honda dealer what they would give me for my fit, while waiting on that, sales guy was clearly dejected about lack of hrv's coming in. no front wheel drives yet, one on the lot, and only one coming in. he said plenty of people had came in for the front drive, only to leave with no idea when they would get one on the lot. said i could order an hrv awd, but had no idea when that would come in either.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:03 PM
5 Year Member
Some Toronto dealerships are advertising 2016 Fits on their web sites, with prices, but no model numbers, car details. No mention of 6MT or CVT. Maybe premarketing?

Old 08-28-2015, 03:53 PM
The ~20 dealers within 50 miles in my region only have a few 2015 MT Fits left. I asked one dealer about the price for a 2016 LX CVT he's going to get in October, and got a quote of MSRP plus $2000 for dealer-installed stuff such as splash guards and paint protection. The dealers are definitely taking advantage of the high demand. Even though I really like to get a Fit, the situation makes me feel that it's not worth waiting anymore: a similarly-equipped 2015 Civic (or even Accord) seems much cheaper now.

Last edited by mj56gt; 08-28-2015 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:52 PM
Smile Love my yellow Fit

We had a 2010 Fit and loved it. When they started advertising the new 2015 yellow Fit we decided we needed to have one of those. It took 6 months of waiting and calling the dealership every week to get our Fit. It was well worth the wait. Love the color as it is so easy to pick out in a parking lot. We live in FL. They had Fits scattered throughout the state, not many. Our dealership was selling them as fast as they could get them. We just had a hard time finding a yellow XL model with nav. They said it was due to issues with the plant in Mexico. It's a perfect "run around town" car!!

Old 08-29-2015, 11:50 AM
Picked up my HR-V EX this morning, so I guess I don't have to worry about Fit stock any more

Old 08-29-2015, 01:21 PM
Picked up my HR-V EX this morning, so I guess I don't have to worry about Fit stock any more
How much did you pay for the HR-V EX (CVT?) before the added fees?

Old 08-29-2015, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
Good for you! What color?

Quick Reply: Where are all the Fits???