3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Pros and Cons of Passion Berry Pearl

Old 08-31-2015, 06:39 PM
JLM

I am in the process of placing an order for a 2016 EX Fit. My wife really likes the PBP color. We keep cars a long time so it is good to get a color she likes. Personally, I have always been a neutral color guy (Silver, Gray, White, etc...). Since we live in Florida, I have always shied away from dark colors. I may be over thinking this but I am concerned this color will have all the negative traits of black (hot, shows flaws, shows dirt, fades, etc...). I am also worried that her love of the color is an impulse and would wear off over time?

I know color is a personal choice but I would welcome advice and opinions.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by JLM
I am in the process of placing an order for a 2016 EX Fit. My wife really likes the PBP color. We keep cars a long time so it is good to get a color she likes. Personally, I have always been a neutral color guy (Silver, Gray, White, etc...). Since we live in Florida, I have always shied away from dark colors. I may be over thinking this but I am concerned this color will have all the negative traits of black (hot, shows flaws, shows dirt, fades, etc...). I am also worried that her love of the color is an impulse and would wear off over time?

I'm fine with my choice of Modern Steel Metallic. That being said, I found a Tomika 2015 Honda Fit miniature on the internet, in Mystic Yellow Pearl. While looking like a patrol car (including moon roof visor) has come in handy on several occasions, I have sent to Hong Kong for my alter ego, in Mystic Yellow Pearl, that will bedeck the center of my instrument cluster to remind me of "what could have been". I'm willing to assume that a long-term car owner is also a long-term spouse, so what the heck, splash the desired color into the mix and drive joyously!

Old 08-31-2015, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
Hot cars

Hi. I live in a very hot area of Southern Calif.. Very much the same weather as Florida. I got the Alabaster Silver Metallic (the light one). Personally, I think you would be sorry if you got a dark car. It does make a difference. I also believe in a hot area you would have a lot more trouble with the paint durability if it is dark or red etc. Alabaster Silver Metallic does well not to mention dirt doesn't show.

Good luck. Show your wife this answer. She will be reasonable

Old 09-01-2015, 03:38 PM
5 Year Member
I would vote against a dark color too. For all the reasons you mentioned and the fact that I find the A/C in the Fit to be a bit anemic. Even in upstate New York the interior of my Silver EX gets to the mid 120's after a couple of hours in the summer sun. I kept a thermometer inside to check for a couple of weeks. Using the sunroof to vent out hot air and the A/C on it's coldest setting and fan speed of 2 or 3 will get it down to the mid 80's eventually. But I prefer it cooler.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:47 PM
Yes it's going to be a tad harder to maintain it due to the dark color and the love bugs will piss you off even more so than with a light car. But, the purple is such a cool color, it's rare, and you only live once so my vote is to make the wife happy and get her the color she wants.

You can always decide to get a clear bra right when you buy it to reduce the wear and tear on the darker color. Also it would be good to buy a quality windshield screen to reduce the heat in the car while it's parked in the sun. I have only seen one purple in person and it's a great looking color on the Fit.

Last edited by Wallygator; 09-01-2015 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:50 PM
The main problems with dark colors in warm climates are:

The car will be 15-20F hotter after sitting in the sun, and the air conditioner will work longer to cool it off every time you get in.

The hotter surface temperature will cause the clearcoat to deteriorate quicker. Not a problem if you plan to trade in a couple of years, but bad clearcoat on dark paint looks horrible fast.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JLM
My wife really likes the PBP color . . . it is good to get a color she likes.
I get to pick the car, she gets to pick the color and we live happily ever after.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:24 AM
5 Year Member
I live in Southern California as well- a few blocks from the beach.

I've had a dark green Toyota (tinted all windows)- a charcoal Nissan 300ZX Turbo- a Lexus Black/Black leather (tinted all windows)

Granted the dark colors will be hotter in the warmer climates and will show- DIRT much quicker- hell if you wash 'em yourself- just when you finish washing and waxing them- you say- damn- look at the freakin' dirt!

They look the best- and since PBP- is your wife's first color choice- I would lean that way- and just make sure- that you immediately- get your windows tinted (at least 40 shade of lower- probably 35 or so) by a reputable tinting shop- 3M or similar!

Old 09-04-2015, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by JLM

Impossible to keep clean or free of scratches

Old 09-05-2015, 06:23 AM
5 Year Member
I too bought the PBP (and upgraded to an EX to get it) to please Mrs. Loves Purple, who was wearing a purple sweater when we bought it.

It's like black... it shows dirt and paint swirls. It's hot and the Fit AC is anemic... even with 70% front door/20% elsewhere tint... but that's okay with her since she's still pre-menopausal and cold all the time.

She loves it and comments about that all the time. I have to admit it looks great for about an hour after washing it. When I'm wishing the interior was a bit cooler, I have to remind myself, "Happy Wife = Happy Life."

Old 09-05-2015, 12:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KenBT
I live in Southern California as well- a few blocks from the beach.
!
A "few blocks from the beach" is not the same as living in the valleys or Florida.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:57 PM
5 Year Member

The study reveals that silver and white cars are cooler and could raise fuel economy by 0.44 mpg when using A/C.

My neighbor's yellow Cooper Mini has a white roof. Perhaps all cars should have a white roof then, the rest of the car's color would have little or no affect on cabin temperature, fuel consumption and climate change.

Last edited by Press Fit; 09-06-2015 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:49 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by FitFrack
A "few blocks from the beach" is not the same as living in the valleys or Florida.

Yes- you have a valid point there as well- without "TINT" it is normally 25-30+ cooler- not including ocean breeze than the "valley" of LA....:-)

Old 09-06-2015, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KenBT
Yes- you have a valid point there as well- without "TINT" it is normally 25-30+ cooler- not including ocean breeze than the "valley" of LA....:-)
Tint is not going to solve the problem. It may help but....You couldn't pay me to put a dark color over my head where I live.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:31 PM
5 Year Member
After over 20 years of silver/grey I went to PBP and love it! It's a great color and really pops when polished. It was my only choice and after 2k and over 2 months I would pick it again. I have not yet got mine tinted but can say that a good sunshield makes a big difference. A clear bra or a sealent like ReJex will make it a whole lot easier to keep nice. I have yet to see another PBP on the road. It's a EX only color and I think the rarest color period. ..I like the fact that I have a distinctive rare color and even though it is a little more trouble to keep nice with the bug problem here in Central Florida it's worth it to me. Just get the paint sealed when you first get it and do NOT leave bug guts to rot into the paint. Any color will be damaged if you don't clean it up. It only takes a week or so to start discoloration.