3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Anyone else here starting to feel buyers remorse?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 04:58 PM
Angry Anyone else here starting to feel buyers remorse?

I really haven't had many problems with my 2015 FIT. I have the dashboard misalignment, and have not had anything recalled. I am waiting for the wheel well liner to start sagging, and am pretty sure once I get my first oil change the plastic underbody cover will fall off.

with all these posts about recalls and issues with how cheaply built this car is, I am starting to regret having traded my 2010 in for this one....

I only have 2K miles on it, and am seriously considering trading it in and going upside-down on my loan to get into something that I'm not just waiting to fall apart.

I really like the look of the FIT, the handling (so far), and the mileage. But with all these issues I think the resale value is going to plummet and maybe I should get out before it's too late.

Anyone else have these feelings recently?

Old 10-02-2015, 05:28 PM
5 Year Member
I was going to get a 2015 Fit. But between the the new Mexican plant, the delayed launch and the seemingly one problem being reported after another, I am still waiting. I have reserved a 2016 Japanese made Fit. How that will turn out, only time will tell. Having said all that, if you like your Fit keep it. More than likely it will serve you well and hold its value reasonably well. It's still got the Honda name backing it. It could be worse. You could have bought a VW Diesel.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by fitfuture
I was going to get a 2015 Fit. But between the the new Mexican plant, the delayed launch and the seemingly one problem being reported after another, I am still waiting. I have reserved a 2016 Japanese made Fit. How that will turn out, only time will tell. Having said all that, if you like your Fit keep it. More than likely it will serve you well and hold its value reasonably well. It's still got the Honda name backing it. It could be worse. You could have bought a VW Diesel.
Is Honda only producing 2015MY Fits in Mexico and bringing production back to Japan?

Old 10-02-2015, 09:04 PM
If enjoy the car don't worry. Forums are always full of problems cause most people post only when they have issues. Possible sagging underbody plastics isn't a reason to lose money.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member
I love the way the car drives, I love the styling, the compact size and efficient utilization of space, and the fuel economy, but I admit to being a bit disappointed with the build quality issues that the dealer can't fix and Honda won't fix. There's the dashboard alignment, and the sagging front bumper that looks like it's about to fall off. I also fear the wheel well liners may collapse this winter once they get packed solid with 10-20 pounds of frozen slush.

At least I know the engine cover shouldn't fall off because I changed the oil myself and used new plastic fasteners. And, Honda DID warranty the misaligned rear axle, so now the wheel alignment is perfect. Unfortunately it got fixed a bit to late to save the OEM tires. This is all in the first 8,000 miles.

My Japanese made '09 Fit had none of these issues. I drove it for 85,000 miles adding nothing but gas, oil and tires. I bought the '15 based on the good service I had with the '09 Fit. With rumors of future Fit production moving to Japan, I, too am afraid I may own an "orphan" car, and will take a major hit on resale, as nobody will want a Mexican made Fit if '16 and later production moves back to Japan.

I'm not a rich man, and can't really afford to trade a new car for something else, but there have been times in the past couple of months I've wished I could.

Or maybe I'm just spending too much time hanging around this forum and "borrowing trouble" (as my Mom used to say).

Old 10-02-2015, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by WindingRoad
Is Honda only producing 2015MY Fits in Mexico and bringing production back to Japan?
If I'm to believe what I read on this forum, apparently so.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:45 PM
2016 Fits will be both produced in Mexico and Japan. Mexico is primarily making HR-Vs, and 2ndary lines making the FIT. Japan will pickup the slack on inventory until Mexico catches up. I'd like to think of Celaya as a rapid deployment plant for Honda. Like Home Depot, its a distribution point where it handles surge markets for an area to meet demand. In time it may become a plant where only specific models are made.

I love my 2015. Other than the ignition coil recall, all the minor body stuff I have not experienced. I know my dealership will take car of any warranty issue I got. This is the 3rd car ive bought from them.

Last edited by Bassguitarist1985; 10-02-2015 at 10:49 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:55 PM
5 Year Member
it would make a great deal of economic sense for Honda to make Fits in North America. We have a free trade agreement, and, barring rail theft, transportation costs are far less.

Old 10-02-2015, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member
No regrets here. I would have wanted a J VIN -- sure, who wouldn't -- but I did not have the luxury of waiting. Most of the problems here center around the parts themselves anyway, not really the way they were put together (if it's put together wrong that should be an easy fix, no?). So I don't really expect things like the underbody shield or the wheel liners to change that much just because they're assembled in Japan. Parts is parts.

Last edited by bach; 10-02-2015 at 11:58 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by carrier
I really haven't had many problems with my 2015 FIT. I have the dashboard misalignment, and have not had anything recalled. I am waiting for the wheel well liner to start sagging, and am pretty sure once I get my first oil change the plastic underbody cover will fall off.

with all these posts about recalls and issues with how cheaply built this car is, I am starting to regret having traded my 2010 in for this one....

I only have 2K miles on it, and am seriously considering trading it in and going upside-down on my loan to get into something that I'm not just waiting to fall apart.

I really like the look of the FIT, the handling (so far), and the mileage. But with all these issues I think the resale value is going to plummet and maybe I should get out before it's too late.

Anyone else have these feelings recently?
I've had no problems with my 2015 EX six speed, Mexican made in Dec. 2014. I bought it new May 2, 2015, with only test drive miles (roughly 10). My only gripe is the flimsy hatch interior.

Oh, and I know "buyer's remorse", second hand. My ex wife, every time she buys anything over $100, suffers from what I call "terminal buyers remorse". She didn't divorce me for my flaws, but for my sense of humor. She didn't appreciate the "terminal buyers remorse" remark (among others). She does have a sense of humor, but not about herself.

Old 10-02-2015, 11:28 PM
Originally Posted by KentFinn
I've had no problems with my 2015 EX six speed, Mexican made in Dec. 2014. I bought it new May 2, 2015, with only test drive miles (roughly 10). My only gripe is the flimsy hatch interior.

Oh, and I know "buyer's remorse", second hand. My ex wife, every time she buys anything over $100, suffers from what I call "terminal buyers remorse". She didn't divorce me for my flaws, but for my sense of humor. She didn't appreciate the "terminal buyers remorse" remark (among others). She does have a sense of humor, but not about herself.
This thread just got deep.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:15 AM
5 Year Member
No remorse here. It's one of the most practical and most fun to drive cars I've ever owned.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:33 AM
5 Year Member
Only time I'm really unhappy with it is long distance interstate travel.. little too buzzy.. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:30 AM
5 Year Member
Despite the car's flaws, I love the car, and really don't want to drive anything else at this point in my life. In fact, my only real fear is what I'd do if the car were stolen or totaled in an accident. With Honda unable/unwilling(?) to supply Fits to the US market, how would I replace it?

Old 10-03-2015, 09:21 AM
5 Year Member
I'm at 30% remorse and 70% satisfied. The Fit gets great gas mileage and is very practical, plus the extra electronic enhancements are nice.

I am dismayed on the quality control and my experience at the dealership correcting the faults has been hit or miss. While it's under warranty I'll keep it, but I'll look at what else is available as I get closer to out of warranty status. I hate to buy 1st year production vehicles, but was forced into it when my now wife's car started to fall apart. I was concerned of the q/c reports and it was hecho en méxico,maybe the Japanese made Fit well be of better quality.

Old 10-03-2015, 10:54 AM
I do have regrets everyday, and I don't

This has been probably the least enjoyable ownership experience I've ever had with a car, and it's been my only brand new car. The car has had so many quality issues, mostly trim pieces breaking or creaks and rattles which are all minor except for the alternator going out in the first month. The sheetmetal is paper thin, and there was that thread posted a few months ago about accidently denting the roof multiple times while waxing the car. I have been a Ford, or at least American brand, loyalist my whole life, and decided to try the Fit mainly for its large back seat (I have a mother who, even though she only rides in it twice a year, was insistent on me thinking of her suffering in a cramped back seat), and the reputation for Honda quality. I feel somewhat suckered and fooled now with how mediocre in quality this car has been.

I don't find the car to be particularly enjoyable to drive. It's loud and unrefined, and a drain to drive long distance. The gearing on the manual is baffling and badly sorted. The front seats feel cramped. The sole perks are the big back seat, decent handling, and fuel economy. Granted, I have had fun tossing the Fit on a windy, mountain road. It may not be a pleasant car on the freeway, but it does shine on those types of roads.

That being said, I don't have much emotional attachment to the car, which is a first for me. However, there is something liberating about that. I just recently bought my older Ford Explorer (JP replica) and am keeping that in the garage and for special trips. The Fit has now become my "beater" that I take solely to work and leave outside at home. It doesn't bother me like it would've if I had a car I really, really liked. Not to say that I abuse the Fit, which isn't the case at all, but it isn't pampered and protected as much as all my other cars ever have been. For that reason, I don't mind keeping the car in its current role until either our car situation changes or until the warranty ends in two years, then I'll consider what's the best move for us

Old 10-03-2015, 12:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by carrier

I'm in the same boat. My 2010 Sport was one of my most favorite cars that I have owned. My 2015 is an EX and it is one of my least favorite. I have tried to trade it for a bit but am so upside down in my loan, no one will touch me.

It's superior in every way- but it's just cold and soulless. I can't put my finger on it, but it's just meh....

Old 10-03-2015, 12:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ex-MA Hole
... My 2010 Sport was one of my most favorite cars that I have owned. My 2015 is an EX and it is one of my least favorite...
I call attention to this thread: Am I insane for considering this?

Originally Posted by Olyar15
Right now I'm looking at getting the EX-L with Nav, with the CVT instead of the Mt, in Aegean Blue. So I'm wondering, has anyone gone from the 2nd to 3rd generation? Any regrets? (As I said, I love my current Fit.). Also, anyone go from stick to CVT? Opinions? where the authors and posters ponder moving from his '09 to a '16.
We are, as a forum, "conflicted". I know that group therapy seems to take on its own personality, and forums certainly do this. Is the '15 really that bad for you? I do hope that Honda takes care of the obvious defects, such as lower engine covers falling off after a certified Honda oil change.

Last edited by TorontoBoy; 10-03-2015 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-03-2015, 01:02 PM
5 Year Member
Every car is a pile of compromises. My 13 is the best damn $15k new car there was. Google says the 16 base still stickers for under $16k and the EX is under $18k. I'll bet it's at least a good contender with other sub-$16k and -$18k offerings.

Remorse? As KentFinn pointed out, that's not even about the car; it's all about the buyer. Understanding and owning your decisions is a good thing. More people should do it.

Old 10-03-2015, 01:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
I call attention to this thread: Am I insane for considering this?

We are, as a forum, "conflicted". I know that group therapy seems to take on its own personality, and forums certainly do this. Is the '15 really that bad for you? I do hope that Honda takes care of the obvious defects, such as lower engine covers falling off after a certified Honda oil change.
The lower engine covers falling off sound more like a dealer/mechanic problem than a factory defect. My Dec. 2014 production Fit EX 6 speed hasn't shown any defects per se, just the damn flimsy hatch interior. The rear bumper has taken two separate thumps with no apparent damage. The driver's door was wind driven into an old Pontiac parked next to me. That put a dent in the edge of the door that was repaired by Dent Repair for 43.70.

Forums such as this attract two types ... fan boys/girls and malcontents. I try to be neither. I'm a pragmatist, a realist. A Fit is not going to provide Rolls Royce luxury and Porsche handling/performance for under $20k. It is an inexpensive, versatile, toss-able small car. It has its flaws, most of which are livable. The dealership can make or break the relationship between the car and the owner.

Oh, there is the rare third type of participates like Bassguitaris1985 who's wisdom, experience, and talent make the site a pleasure and a source of knowledge. (No, never met the man and there is no man-crush).

Last edited by KentFinn; 10-03-2015 at 01:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone else here starting to feel buyers remorse?