3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

6mt or cvt decision

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 10:49 PM
6mt or cvt decision

Hey guys,

Well, the 2015 manual ex fit I wanted sold out from under me awhile back. Now I'm seeing that 2016 models with manual will be limited.
Wanted a purple manual and it appears purple has only been on ex-l fits in 2016 so far.
So should I get a cvt to get the color I want or a manual in a color I don't want?

I checked with my local dealer about ordering and its been a few weeks with no response.

Maybe I should just get the new 2016 miata sport with manual despite the higher payment and less practical at this point.

Didn't know a fit would be such a rough purchase attempt. At least my wife has the civic.

Old 10-16-2015, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member
It's completely your decision. You can order a 6MT and wait for it to come in. Some people need to wait for the 2016 CVT as well, so it might be the same as the 6MT.

Personally I could never buy a CVT, this is just my opinion. I enjoy having full control of all the gears and speed of the engine. The Miata is a much nicer driving car with a much higher price tag, and, for me, not practical. I need a hatch.

Go back to your Honda dealer and do a test drive of the Fit. Ask again. it varies with location. You have your location set to "USA". That's a lot of geography. Be more specific and someone in your locale might help you.

Old 10-16-2015, 11:42 PM
My concern is that the 2016 ex purple won't be offered in a manual. Hondageek mentioned only limited trims and colors will be made in manual this year. Seeing how the only manuals showing are LX models in silver and red, not looking good for a passion berry manual that is an ex only color.
Plus I have a trade, so longer the wait, the more my fiat depreciates.

Old 10-17-2015, 05:05 AM
I regret not getting the 6mt and having my wife learn how to drive it, but in 7k miles I have no issues with my cvt and its pretty quick when you floor it.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:17 AM
5 Year Member
In my view, the first choice should be the transmission, second priority the color.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:45 AM
At this point I'm just going to tell people, if you have to ask the question, then you should just get the CVT

Old 10-17-2015, 12:56 PM
I bought the 2015 6MT in a colour I wasn't crazy about (white in my case), but it has grown on me quite a bit and I'm very happy with the 6MT. In twenty years of driving and buying cars, I've only owned one automatic car (which my wife drives, our family SUV).

The dealer only had white manuals, and they searched the neighbouring two provinces for a blue - my first choice - with no luck. I would have driven to pick it up if necessary. There were few blues available at all, and they were all the CVT (and most the top-level trim). I bought the third trim level (in Canada), the LX.

I was annoyed about not being able to pick the colour I want, but the enjoyment and practicality from the vehicle itself makes up for it. This is the second time we've run into this situation - the above-mentioned SUV is grey, another colour we would never choose, but we are happy with both cars so I guess it isn't overly important. White and grey are VERY common car colours, though! Reminds me of that car ad a few years ago where all the cars were the same, except for the car in the ad which was a bold colour and, of course, a lot funner than the rest of the bland cars around it! (Can't remember what car or brand the ad was for...)

I will say, I would like to figure out a way to customize my Fit a bit. I'm not the type to go get custom wheels or stuff like that, but I may try plasti-dipping the front emblem in a different colour if I ever get brave enough to try it!

Last edited by macdon9876; 10-17-2015 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-17-2015, 05:23 PM
5 Year Member
In my case, I wanted a manual, but hesitated for a long time as NONE of the '15 colors did a thing for me. I finally decided on white, being the color I disliked the least. My dealer had to find one for me at another dealer 200 miles away. As it turned out, the white has really grown on me. Clean, crisp and easy to take care of. Given the difficulty of actually GETTING a Fit, I'm glad I didn't wait any longer.

Old 10-17-2015, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member
Do you prefer driving or passenging? The question is literally a no-brainer:

Originally Posted by Redd
At this point I'm just going to tell people, if you have to ask the question, then you should just get the CVT
And along the lines of what tbFit said, you drive the powertrain, not the paint. I'd rather drive something fuchsia with sparkly green polka dots than be a helpless bystander with a steering wheel in my hands in something that looks cool. But if it were a question I actually had to ask... I'd be safer with an auto, no matter how sparkly its polka dots are.

Old 10-17-2015, 07:53 PM
If your getting the paddles go for the cvt transmission. The sports mode with the paddles is similar to the control you get in a manual and worthwhile because you can choose control or just drive if you get bored of the control. Helps if you encounter traffic on your commute or drive so your not always on the clutch.

Old 10-17-2015, 07:58 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jtpc2007
Hey guys,

Well, the 2015 manual ex fit I wanted sold out from under me awhile back. Now I'm seeing that 2016 models with manual will be limited.
Wanted a purple manual and it appears purple has only been on ex-l fits in 2016 so far.
So should I get a cvt to get the color I want or a manual in a color I don't want?

I checked with my local dealer about ordering and its been a few weeks with no response.

Maybe I should just get the new 2016 miata sport with manual despite the higher payment and less practical at this point.

Didn't know a fit would be such a rough purchase attempt. At least my wife has the civic.
if you want the MT, definitely get the MT Fit even if it's not your first color choice. these cars are NIGHT/DAY different between MT and AT.

Old 10-18-2015, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
In my case, I wanted a manual, but hesitated for a long time as NONE of the '15 colors did a thing for me. I finally decided on white, being the color I disliked the least. My dealer had to find one for me at another dealer 200 miles away. As it turned out, the white has really grown on me. Clean, crisp and easy to take care of. Given the difficulty of actually GETTING a Fit, I'm glad I didn't wait any longer.

Funny how the colour demand seems different in various regions. All my dealer had on his lot were white and black, and one single blue in CVT top trim (sitting on the showroom floor). Other lots within 600-800 km also had a bunch of white and black, a couple more CVT blues as mentioned, and one or two silver. Nothing else.

My salesman blamed the wind-down of the 2015 model year, and told me that if I wanted to wait, it would likely be January before the 2016s arrived in Nova Scotia. I don't know how true this was, but waiting wasn't an option for me regardless.

I agree, though: the white really has grown on me too. I just dislike how common the colour is around here.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
if you want the MT, definitely get the MT Fit even if it's not your first color choice. these cars are NIGHT/DAY different between MT and AT.
Yeah, the less power you have to work with, the more important it is to be able to work with the power.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit Charlie
Yeah, the less power you have to work with, the more important it is to be able to work with the power.
I do agree that the smaller the engine horsepower the better you need to utilize it. There is a HP-fuel economy-performance triangle I always keep in mind. Choose two of the three, and the third will suffer. an MT allows me to choose the mix of the three each time I drive, hypermiler or mad hatter. The CVT has the eco button, which reduces performance and increases gas economy. The CVT biases fuel economy on the driver more than the MT.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:36 AM
5 Year Member
CVT also has a sport mode if you want to get mad hatter as you say...

Old 10-19-2015, 10:34 AM
Elected to get a CVT after only driving manuals for the last 15 years. No complaints so far, and it drives nice on the interstate. It is nice for it not be at 3,500 RPM at highway speeds. Even in ECON mode it feels like it has more power than the anemic 2008 Sport MT.

Old 10-19-2015, 12:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
CVT also has a sport mode if you want to get mad hatter as you say...

Sport mode's great. Except no matter how much you dress it up, you're still stuck in a wheelchair.

Old 10-19-2015, 12:39 PM
5 Year Member
I really don't understand the hate for the CVT and look at me, "I'm so cool 'cause I drive a stick shift." Driving a stick shift really isn't that special.

Old 10-19-2015, 03:28 PM
I want to see Fit Charlie in a fuchsia 2016 Fit with sparkly green polka dots!

As for your question Jtpc2007, it really is a matter of choice. Do you want to sit in the car and drink your coffee while you enjoy a relaxing drive to work. Or would you prefer to have a more engaging drive where you are constantly analyzing your predicted path to ensure you have selected the right gear for either power or mpg.

Many people get the automatic so they can more easily do other things while driving. Such as drinking coffee, eat a bagel and most likely play with their phone. However considering the leading cause of crashes is driver distraction, yes phone use is the leading cause within this category, I prefer to keep my self engaged so I am less likely to want to be distracted.

As for 2Rismo2, I cannot speak for everyone, but I didn't get a manual because "I am so cool". I drive a gosh darn Honda Fit. If I really cared about imaginary cool points wouldn't I have gotten a Mustang, Corvette, or anything that pushes more than 130 horse power and 114 lbs. of torque to the tires?

The long and skinny, choose what you want. Both are great options and smoke the competition unless you are willing to spend the cash to get out of the $20,000 range.

Old 10-19-2015, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member
It's like I've always said, it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slow. I'm having a ball driving my MT Fit EX. Don't care whether I look "cool" or not. I love driving this car.

Quick Reply: 6mt or cvt decision