3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

6mt or cvt decision

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 12:36 PM
Is the highway buzz of the 6mt really that bad? I'm considering a 6mt 2018 fit but am worried I'll regret it...

Old 10-06-2017, 12:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mtoboggan
Is the highway buzz of the 6mt really that bad? I'm considering a 6mt 2018 fit but am worried I'll regret it...
It's all relative to what you are used to. For example, our Fit turns higher rpm than a new one on the highway and it doesn't bother my wife at all. A neighbor has a Civic Si and it turns even more rpm.

Test drive one and then you'll know.

Factor in your primary use for the vehicle. If you're driving is 90% Interstate with speeds of 75+, there are better choices than a manual Fit. Better choices than the auto Fit for that matter.

The Fit is not what I consider an Interstate car. It can do it and you'll be fine, but it's a better city/mountain/suburb car than it is an Interstate cruiser.

Old 10-06-2017, 01:43 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
agreed, the Fit is a great surface road car.. especially the MT. cvt is okay for surface A to B car

Old 10-06-2017, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
I think that would be money well spent!

What I don't understand about CVT's is why they get replaced instead of repaired when they fail. I would think that failure is almost always due to belt slippage and a new belt would fix the problem.

What I know about CVT's could be written in crayon on a matchbook though.
I don't know why they fail, but the belt is steel and probably does not stretch. So I if there is slippage I would guess that that it is either due to wear on the specially laser-etched pulley surface, or wear on the belt segments that contact the pulley surface and push the pulley around. I suppose they could fail if the seals that help keep the hydraulic fluid flowing in the right places, become deteriorated and let fluid escape, with the result that the pulleys don't widen or narrow as they are told to, by the computer.

Old 10-06-2017, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
What I don't understand about CVT's is why they get replaced instead of repaired when they fail. I would think that failure is almost always due to belt slippage and a new belt would fix the problem.

Because most "technicians" only remove and replace. The day of actually repairing anything at the dealership or the local independent auto repair facility has been over for a long time. Those failed transmissions then get sent to OEM certified rebuilders with equipment to properly dismantle, clean, check and rebuild in clean rooms before testing. Then that trans is sold a s remanufactured transmission from the OEM with a warranty. Basically they R&R the trans to save you money, time and give you something with a warranty.

For sake of discussion; they remove your transmission and replace the belt. Now 5K miles later you have more transmission issues and have to go back to the dealer. Now you're not going to be happy that you had spent money for a repair and have more issues. You're not going to be happy that the dealership technician didn't properly identify all the issues originally. Maybe the technician did identify all the issues, but with some new parts and the others used it put additional strain on those parts causing the new failure? Pretty sure most people aren't going to be very satisfied and will leave bad Yelp reviews, leave bad customer satisfaction surveys and maybe complain to cooperate? Now they remove your transmission and replace it with a remanufactured. If it fails and it's still under warranty you go back and they replace it for free. You're then happy customer. Which would you do if you were in their position?

Last edited by Rob H; 10-06-2017 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:52 PM
5 Year Member
I'm not in their position. I'm in the position that I don't like the idea of a $2,500 repair bill to replace a $100 belt.

All boils down to why I'm a DIY'er. I appreciate their position (and I'm sure would do the same in their shoes), but I also have my position where some things just seem silly.

Old 10-06-2017, 06:11 PM
5 Year Member
I'm not in their position. I'm in the position that I don't like the idea of a $2,500 repair bill to replace a $100 belt.

All boils down to why I'm a DIY'er. I appreciate their position (and I'm sure would do the same in their shoes), but I also have my position where some things just seem silly.

Well it wouldn't be a $100 repair bill anyway. More like $1200 at minimum to replace the $100 belt.

My MT 2017 Fit just literally came back from the dealer today because of shifting issues. Honda America wasn't going to cover under warranty until they knew it wasn't my fault. Dealership wanted $550 to remove and open up for inspection. Of course if it wan't my fault then Honda would cover everything. Now for sake of discussion something was my fault then I would be stuck with the $550 to remove and open up, probably the same amount for reinstallation and whatever repair or whatever the cost of a remanufactured unit? End result for me was zero $. It could easily have been well over $1000

So if you're a DIYer I guess you can just buy the part and R&R the trans yourself?

Old 10-06-2017, 07:41 PM
5 Year Member
All of that it true.

Just bought a Quaife for the Fit today so I'll be taking the trans apart. Will inspect everything once in, but ours still shifts great so it will probably just be new differential bearings and back together, but I'll know more when I dig in.

My take has always been that for the cost of a single repair, you can buy all of the tools to do the job and then be able to do things cheaply in the future.

Definitely not the approach that makes sense for everyone. Nothing wrong with having others do the work, especially if you know someone good that you trust.

I have to add - You can literally buy an entire totaled '07-08 Fit for around $500. I would not pay $1,000 to replace any factory part with another factory part in an old Honda. All of the stuff is available super cheap if you are willing to do the work, have the tools, and most importantly have another car to drive.

Last edited by GAFIT; 10-06-2017 at 07:47 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:26 PM
5 Year Member
All of that it true.

Definitely not the approach that makes sense for everyone. Nothing wrong with having others do the work, especially if you know someone good that you trust.
Catch 22. Even though I was capable, didn't think I should have to take a car that is less than a year old and under warranty apart myself? That being said, my risk for warranty work was a potential higher bill than if I never took my car to the dealership

Old 10-06-2017, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member
im a DIY'er and if my wife's GK had such issue, id use that as a great excuse to shop for a new car.

Old 10-07-2017, 03:24 AM
5 Year Member
I don't really believe even a really talented home mechanic, is gogin to be able to service the CVT, honda is the only source of the belt and shivs and since they own the fancy lazer etched patent,,, nobody else can make them to the same spec.

Adjusting the CVT system on my quad is crazy enough.. and its only got like 10 moving parts..

Old 10-07-2017, 09:58 AM
5 Year Member
You know.
I owned a 2010 Honda Fit Sport...automatic transmission.
I recently bought a 2016 with a CVT transmission.

And both times now, months after purchase I start to regret that I didn't look into getting a manual transmission.

We've reached an age, where some younger drivers have never even used a manual. Some people don't want to learn.
But I'd say, if you like a manual transmission....stick with it. Figuratively and literally.

In both of my cases....I like my Fit. BUT...I think it would be even more fun to drive as a manual. I've just gotten old and lazy.

Old 10-07-2017, 02:21 PM
5 Year Member
I think that would be money well spent!

What I know about CVT's could be written in crayon on a matchbook though.
Pretty sure I'd want a transmission from a certified rebuilder. I don't believe the expertise exists to do he job correctly in the shop environment. Most likely Honda does not sell the parts just the rebuilt trans. I'd guess the same would be true for the manual trans too.

From what I gather when the CVT goes it's because the metal belt fails & falls into what looks like a thousand pieces. I'm sure there are other failures, but it seems to be the belt failing.

Looking at youtube videos of DIY CVT fluid changes the fluid coming out looks pretty dark & used up while the new stuff is clear.

Last edited by ashchuckton; 10-07-2017 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:12 PM
5 Year Member
I completely see your point. I'm betting it's a pretty good mess when that breaks.

You just gave a whole bunch more reasons to not own the CVT past warranty.

FWIW, all of the internal parts are available for our manual transmission Fit. Blow third gear and you can buy the third gear set with associated parts new from Honda for $180. All other gears sets and parts are available as well.

The CVT becomes a ticking time bomb with age that you have to account for if owning long term.

Old 10-07-2017, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member
historically even with the planetary gear AT's, people preferred MT when it comes to very long term ownership as it is much easier to repair.

but then again, most people including me will trade in their cvt cars 4-5yrs into ownership (or shorter if on a lease) so it's really not an issue for most of us.

Old 10-13-2017, 03:34 PM
Is there a noise difference between the CVT and 6MT? Does the drone of the CVT make it noticeably louder than the manual?

Old 10-14-2017, 09:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mtoboggan
Is there a noise difference between the CVT and 6MT? Does the drone of the CVT make it noticeably louder than the manual?
honestly there is so much road noise it does not seem to be a noticeable factor.
i'd choose watever tranny u want.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
honestly there is so much road noise it does not seem to be a noticeable factor.
i'd choose watever tranny u want.
This makes it sound bad, but kenchan is correct. The vast majority of the noise in a Fit comes from road noise and, at high speeds, wind noise. I don't find that the noise from the drivetrain, even with louder exhaust, overcomes the other noises.

Old 10-14-2017, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
Tire selection makes a huge difference in road noise too, but if you're looking at a new car with new tires, it will be a lot of miles before they need replacement. I don't know how good or bad the OEMs are, but when I got mine the tires the last owner chose were so bad for traction I just threw them out. Road noise was cut in half, but it's not luxury silent.

Old 10-14-2017, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
it does.

but knowing it is a cheap economy car my wife (no interest in cars) uses, the stock tires are fine.