3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Transmission failed; transmission replaced; happy camper

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 04:14 PM
Transmission failed; transmission replaced; happy camper

I have a 2015 ex with 11,000 miles driven since March. While there have been a couple of minor issues, there bad been no biggies and I really like the car. I view it as a keeper, and I've owned or leased almost 30 cars in my life.
Last week I noticed a strange noise from what seemed to be the front end when accelerating. I thought maybe it was tire noise, or badwheel bearing, or road trash underneath, and on down the list of usual suspects. The driving seemed unaffected but the noise didn't go away. So I made an appointment with my service rep at the dealership where I purchased the car. My rep said she would have the technician ride with me to make sure he heard the suspect noise. After about 60 minutes my rep came and politely told me she had ordered a complimentary rental for me. Since I hadn't yet gone for a ride with the tech I was surprised. I was informed that the tech had driven the car briefly and quickly deduced the problem was with the transmission. He got on the phone with the service center and they concluded I needed a new transmission.
What a surprise. I was a bit shocked but also relieved that the problem had been quickly diagnosed and a satisfactory solution undertaken. The diagnosis was on Tuesday and I received a call Thursday afternoon that the replacement had been installed. I picked the car up this morning (Friday) and all seems to be fine. The car drives in the efficient manner I've become accustomed to. Cost to me was $0. I am very satisfied. In fact, this service process exceeded my expectations.
I only found a couple of other posts online about failures so I suspect this was a one-off occurrence. I wonder if the old transmission will be analyzed to determine the cause of the failure.
I'd be happy to privately pass on the contact info to anyone looking for an excellent service rep in the west Atlanta area. I didn't want this to seem like a promo so I decided not to post it here.
I'm still a happy camper and still plan to keep this Fit around for a longtime. Plus, I have a brand new transmission and hopefully the law of averages has had its turn with me.

Old 12-11-2015, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member
I'm glad you had no drama and the replacement is working well. I assume you have a CVT? Consumer's Reports have said there were some issues with Honda transmissions, but I have not seen too many reports on this forum, and certainly not full replacements.

Old 12-11-2015, 04:44 PM
Who was the dealer? Getting warranty service so easily should be applauded!

Old 12-11-2015, 05:05 PM
Yes, it's a cvt. I edited the post to include that info.
The dealer is Autonation Honda on Thornton Rd. in west Atlanta. They've done right by me on every visit.

Old 12-17-2015, 05:11 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
good to hear about ur positive experience khalilj.

i had warranty repair i needed done on my wife's GK door. first time around the dealer did a bandaid fix and broke only 2 months afterwards. 2nd time in, i made sure the service advisor clearly understood that i was NOT happy with how they treated the problem the first time. they ended up replacing the entire unit and so far so good.

hopefully the problem is gone for good.