3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Excessive Wind Noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 03:44 AM
Excessive Wind Noise

Hi All.

I just picked up my 2015 Fit today at the dealership. I took it for a drive before buying it and didn't notice any wind noise. Now driving it there seems to be excessive wind noise coming from the pillar/windshield area. It is only coming from the driver side and happen at speeds about 35 mph and above. I had read about the complaints about wind noise in the Fit some, but this seems a little much, and it is only coming from the driver side. Does anyone else have issues with this? I tried to record audio of it. In the audio I am driving approximately 50mph.

Audio Recording

Old 07-13-2014, 03:52 AM
I forgot to add that the A/C was off and all the windows were closed.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:54 AM
5 Year Member
I can't say that I notice any wind noise. Just road noise.

Maybe there's a defect in your vehicle, and you should get it examined by the dealer?

Old 07-13-2014, 09:15 AM
None here...

Old 07-14-2014, 08:48 PM
I took it in to the dealer today. The tech confirmed it shouldn't be making that noise. Now they are just going through the process of trying to find out why and how to fix it.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the post, I'm experiencing the same thing. I'm hearing the wind noise from that same area, from the front windshield/pillars. Let me know how you exactly described it to the dealer. Last time I showed him something under the car for example, they brushed it off as being normal. I showed them under the exhaust and asked why is there a yellowish/dark brown burnt color where the tail pipe begins, the guy was like this is due to manufacturing welding process. I have no way of knowing if this is true or not. Maybe you can check if your car have that same discoloring under your exhaust.

Last edited by MyFit15; 07-14-2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:14 PM
Well on mine it is only happening on the driver side. I explained to the service advisor that it sounded like wind was actually blowing up into the pillar and that I had listened on the passenger side and it wasn't there. I told him I had felt all around and couldn't feel the air blowing inside the cabin from the outside. He had one of the service techs drive the car and the tech confirmed it. I would say have the advisor drive with you so you can point it out to him when you hear it.

As far as the coloring on the exhaust goes, I'll take a picture of mine for you once I get it back from the dealership. They said they hope to have it pinned down tomorrow. I'll also ask them what exactly the cause was and let you know.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:53 PM
Turn the blower to max on fresh air. Close all windows and shut doors. From the OUTSIDE. Take a stethascope and take the end off so the hose is open going to your ear. Go along every seam very slowly. You should be able to hear and sometimes feel the air from inside the car blasting out.

Sounds like the window was not sealed 100%

Last edited by mecevans; 07-14-2014 at 09:56 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by pipcorona
Well on mine it is only happening on the driver side. I explained to the service advisor that it sounded like wind was actually blowing up into the pillar and that I had listened on the passenger side and it wasn't there. I told him I had felt all around and couldn't feel the air blowing inside the cabin from the outside. He had one of the service techs drive the car and the tech confirmed it. I would say have the advisor drive with you so you can point it out to him when you hear it.

As far as the coloring on the exhaust goes, I'll take a picture of mine for you once I get it back from the dealership. They said they hope to have it pinned down tomorrow. I'll also ask them what exactly the cause was and let you know.
Thanks for that advise, I'll be looking forward to your update.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:26 PM
The wind noise in your audio file sounds weird to me. When I drive on the highway I just hear normal dull road noise, not wind flapping like in your audio file.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:10 PM
Uh oh... Looks like that mexican build quality is showing its ugly head after all. My '13 isnt that loud at 70mph. A newer model should be quieter than the model preceding it and not the opposite. Hmm. I wish you all the best eliminating this.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:16 PM
My road wind noise is about what I expected. Not very loud and about on par as my old 2011 model Fit. Maybe you need to take it in and compare if possible with another Fit older and the new one.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:52 PM
Well I got my Fit back today. After the tech there couldn't figure out what it was, he called in to their tech support line and spoke to an engineer there. After describing everything, the engineer said that it was the seal on the little corner window by the door. They took the window off and re-sealed it and like magic, the noise was gone. With as quickly as they (the Honda engineers) were to determine exactly what the issue was, I wonder if it is something they'd seen before already in this model year Fit. My service advisor said after their engineers suggested that, they looked closely at the seal and compared to the other door, they could see where air was probably getting in.

Anyway, I included a pic of the window. MyFit15, hopefully this helps you with your dealership to get the issue fixed.

Last edited by pipcorona; 07-15-2014 at 09:55 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:03 PM
Also, MyFit15, I snapped a picture of the exhaust pipe on mine for you.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:03 AM
Thanks a lot for the pictures, I'll have to visit my dealer soon about the wind noise as well and see if they have a fix for it. At first I thought it can be the antana on top of the car. Out of curiosity I wiggled it & the base of the antana is loose. I don't know if this is with every fit or just mine. So, I figured the wind could be coming from there as well. Also, when it rains or take it for washes, the water can make its way under the antana. I have to ask about that too.

As for under the exhaust, mine is that same discoloring, but it's from the back end tail pipe, not all the way in like that of the picture. Did your dealer say the same thing, that it is due to welding?

Last edited by MyFit15; 07-16-2014 at 03:06 AM.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:10 AM
Glad the tech fixed it! No one expects to have these issues with a new vehicle, but they are built by people and robots and things still come up. I am sure it will happen again in the thousands of cars that are produced.
Now go enjoy your FIT!