3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Towing hitch

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 08:30 AM
5 Year Member
Towing hitch

I just got a 2016 Fit and so far I love it. I plan to add a towing hitch to use with a hitch-mounted bike rack. I may eventually tow a very light trailer - just a couple hundred pounds total. Anyone added a hitch to their Fit? Any experience with this?

Old 12-29-2015, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by max503
I just got a 2016 Fit and so far I love it. I plan to add a towing hitch to use with a hitch-mounted bike rack. I may eventually tow a very light trailer - just a couple hundred pounds total. Anyone added a hitch to their Fit? Any experience with this?
My main mods thread has everything you need including wiring for lights and brakes. I went with the curt hitch, but there is a tork lift hitch that is a 2 inch receiver but still a class 1. If you stay under a few hundred pounds of cargo weight you will be just fine. Tow smart. I would highly suggest the rear air shock mod too so your back end doesnt squat too much. I have videos on how to do this as well.

Cheers.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:31 AM
5 Year Member
I had a class 1 hitch on my old car, specifically for carrying bikes, so planned on doing the same with the Fit. What is different with the Fit is that with the seats down I can get 2 bicycles into the hatch with little difficulty. I am now questioning if I really need a hitch.

No hitch means less weight to the car, which means better gas mileage. There is also better clearance to the bottom of the car. You also save the cost of the hitch.

If you want to haul a trailer, then you need a hitch. If, like me you occasionally haul 2 bikes, then can the Fit's hatch, as is, do the job? There are lots of bike mods people have made to make hauling bikes easier in their Fits. One owner, I recall, was able to get 3 bikes into his Fit.

Maybe owners buy Fits to....get fit?

Old 12-29-2015, 09:37 AM
5 Year Member
Being able to easily carry a bike is the reason I bought a Fit and not a Civic.

Old 12-29-2015, 12:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Press Fit
Being able to easily carry a bike is the reason I bought a Fit and not a Civic.
2 bikes with seat up works too. Link:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ml#post1290132

Old 12-29-2015, 12:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tbFit
2 bikes with seat up works too. Link:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ml#post1290132
Skinny street tires and no mud anywhere? What's with that?

The next time I transport road bikes I'll try your way. Right now I only have done large potted trees in tall mode.

Old 12-31-2015, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
I had a class 1 hitch on my old car, specifically for carrying bikes, so planned on doing the same with the Fit. What is different with the Fit is that with the seats down I can get 2 bicycles into the hatch with little difficulty. I am now questioning if I really need a hitch.

No hitch means less weight to the car, which means better gas mileage. There is also better clearance to the bottom of the car. You also save the cost of the hitch.

If you want to haul a trailer, then you need a hitch. If, like me you occasionally haul 2 bikes, then can the Fit's hatch, as is, do the job? There are lots of bike mods people have made to make hauling bikes easier in their Fits. One owner, I recall, was able to get 3 bikes into his Fit.

Maybe owners buy Fits to....get fit?
If I put even one bike inside the Fit, there is not enough room for luggage on a 1 week trip. With 2 bikes ---zilch room left. Gotta have outside hauling for the bikes

Old 01-05-2016, 07:55 AM
Originally Posted by Stingray
If I put even one bike inside the Fit, there is not enough room for luggage on a 1 week trip. With 2 bikes ---zilch room left. Gotta have outside hauling for the bikes
I mount two bikes upright in the back with plenty of room for luggage between them. Capacity is amazing.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
UPDATE
Since putting on the hitch I've hauled the bike several times. It's handy but, 1) a bike on back really cuts down gas mileage. It took 6mpg off my Corolla on long hauls. I haven't check mileage yet on the Fit. 2) The bike rack rattles and that's annoying.
I'll use the rack but I think I'm going to find a tarp or something to put in back so I can put bikes inside, too. A good thing about putting them inside is you can leave them there. I'm afraid to leave a bike on the rack over night in case it gets stolen.

Old 01-10-2016, 11:47 AM
5 Year Member
We fit 2 folding bikes and a week of camping gear in our Fit a few months ago... I still need to post those pictures.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:12 PM
5 Year Member
can you fit two bigger mountain bikes in there? I mean even with a tarp I'm so afraid of dirt, scuff, messing up floor, leather, etc.

I'm not worried about mileage. Not like the bikes are on there all the time.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by bigbacon
can you fit two bigger mountain bikes in there? I mean even with a tarp I'm so afraid of dirt, scuff, messing up floor, leather, etc.

I'm not worried about mileage. Not like the bikes are on there all the time.
I have carried 2 mtn bikes in the back. One a full suspension 27.5 medium frame and one 29er full suspension large frame with no problems. Both standing up. It does drag crap into the back so I got a 4x8 carpet and cut it to fit the rear cargo area.
Eventually I got tired of taking off the front wheel and cleaning the crap out of the car. I had a Curt hitch installed, put on a Kuat rack and couldn't be happier.
Now that it's winter, the trails are clean, and my buddies don't ride, I keep the bike in the back of the car.
Come spring the bike goes back outside.

Old 06-04-2016, 03:43 AM
5 Year Member
Just FYI

Torklift Central | Find an EcoHitch® Installer

These folks make a custom hitch for FIT. It's called EcoHitch.

It is hidden except the receiver part 2 inch or 1.25 inch--your choice.

It's probably the most solid fitment--it mounts in back of the crash bar.

They have certified installers in many places.

Body shops can also install it probably.

They have a video of the FIT installation and will PDF one if you email them.

Old 07-30-2016, 03:24 PM
5 Year Member
anyone use the curt hitch and have a problem with the muffler rattling off the passenger side bolt?

Just got one and it rattles REALLY badly off the bolt. No clue how to fit it other than maybe bend the hangers or cut a piece of urethane to cup the end of the bolt and mash it in between the bolt and muffler.

Pretty pissed off all around with this hitch. Shoddy installation shims and this rattle which I have no idea how that could have been overlooked by the manufacturer.

Old 07-31-2016, 02:18 AM
Originally Posted by bigbacon
anyone use the curt hitch and have a problem with the muffler rattling off the passenger side bolt?

Just got one and it rattles REALLY badly off the bolt. No clue how to fit it other than maybe bend the hangers or cut a piece of urethane to cup the end of the bolt and mash it in between the bolt and muffler.

Pretty pissed off all around with this hitch. Shoddy installation shims and this rattle which I have no idea how that could have been overlooked by the manufacturer.

Yes i have this hitch and yes you need to bend the hear shield slightly so it does not rattle. Haven't had an issue for over 2 years.

Old 07-31-2016, 12:41 PM
5 Year Member
I ended up grinding off the end of the bolt. problem solved.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985
Curt . . . Yes i have this hitch
After installation, Is the Curt hitch the lowest part of the car?

Old 07-14-2017, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by Press Fit
After installation, Is the Curt hitch the lowest part of the car?
Yes, it will be 10 inches from the top of the tube opening to the ground. If you want the Torklift Hidden Hitch, in either a 1-3/4" or 2" the height from the ground is more like 12 inches...but the cost is double that of the Curt hitch.

Torklift

Torklift Hitch

Curt Hitch

Last edited by Bassguitarist1985; 07-14-2017 at 04:55 PM.