3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

manual or automatic

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 03:10 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ron3
i know there is a loyal following of people that buy manual transmissions, but from everything i have read they are becomeing more and more scarace.since there is no real advantage with them. it seems they get less mpg,fewer and fewer drivers can even drive them,they have less resale value and do not perform as well as modern automatics..
I like driving a manual and am not trying to start a flame, and am just curious is the manual trans. on its way out.
yes on the way out. get it while u can. lol

Old 02-17-2016, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
Besides, having to shift gears interferes with texting while driving.
Haha yeah sadly that too. I don't understand why people are in such a hurry to text that they put their lives and the lives of others at risk.

Old 02-17-2016, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
Perhaps, but the process began when these controls were automated:

Are we lazy unless we know how to control our own mixture and spark advance along with the gear ratios?
Oh, and there was that big crank that stuck out under the radiator. Real Men don't use those effeminate electric starters![/URL]
Haha never seen that before, but I'm just going to chalk that up as a win for technological advances, not laziness there.

Old 02-18-2016, 01:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL

For Kikediaz, yes, a stick shift is somewhat of a theft deterrent:

https://www.google.com/search?q=thie...utf-8&oe=utf-8
I made a little research of the vehicles more stolen in México the are around 70 thousand vehicles stolen each year in which the 10 most stolen are manual. Here is the list:
Nissan Tsuru 9 mil 680
Nissan Pick up Chasis Corto/Largo (9 mil 680),
Volkswagen Jetta Clásico (2 mil 293),
Nissan Estacas (2 mil 27),
motocicleta Yamaha 111-250 (mil 670),
Nissan Sentra ( 1 495),
Kenworth ( 1 465),
Chevrolet Aveo ( 1 176 ),
moto Honda 111-250 (993),
Nissan Versa (873)

So in mexico having a manual is the way to get your vehicle stolen. Not sure why? Maybe they have no security and are easy to steal? Maybe

Old 02-18-2016, 11:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
Besides, having to shift gears interferes with texting while driving.
Not to mention holding a coffee cup while shifting. I had to perfect holding the steering wheel with my thigh during shifts.

Old 02-20-2016, 01:48 AM
5 Year Member
Manual Trans.

If the Fit wasn't available in a Stick I would not have bought one.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:19 PM
i know there is a loyal following of people that buy manual transmissions, but from everything i have read they are becomeing more and more scarace.since there is no real advantage with them. it seems they get less mpg,fewer and fewer drivers can even drive them,they have less resale value and do not perform as well as modern automatics..
I like driving a manual and am not trying to start a flame, and am just curious is the manual trans. on its way out.
Yes they are on the way out unfortunately. To me, an automatic transmission takes away most of the fun of driving. As for the performance issue, it might be true in some instances that the newer automatics perform better, it's definitely not the case in this car. It saves gas and that's it.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:58 PM
5 Year Member
well i consider performance, mpg, drivability, resale value, this is a honda entry level commuter not a mustang GT. i enjoy driving a manual but not enough to give up the smoothness of the cvt while drinking my morning coffee in traffic, and getting near 40 mpg.As much as i like driving manual transmissions i will never own another one, to old and lazy to row through the gears from light to light.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:28 PM
well i consider performance, mpg, drivability, resale value, this is a honda entry level commuter not a mustang GT. i enjoy driving a manual but not enough to give up the smoothness of the cvt while drinking my morning coffee in traffic, and getting near 40 mpg.As much as i like driving manual transmissions i will never own another one, to old and lazy to row through the gears from light to light.
Your original post gave me the impression that you liked driving manual. By your last phrase here, you give me the opposite impression.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
I don't row through gears, I apply power. If your car is underpowered, it doesn't make sense to hide that power behind an automatic.

How's the throttle response?
Sluggish. Like a wet sponge.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:10 PM
To me manuals are a must for trucks, rear drive sports cars and of course small cars with small engines. Plus manuals make you keep your focus more on driving.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:47 AM
Really depends on the driver. How can a cvt be sporty? Paddle shifters that mimic shifting through fake gears? Naw...I didn't buy the fit for great mileage, I but it for the fun of it. For modifying the shit out if. It's all about the project and driving experience. Not A to B transportation. Just my dos centavos.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:55 AM
5 Year Member
i bought my fit for fuel economy, hauling ability, and basic transportation. and yes i do like manual shift but at my age it does not make since. the cvt is so smooth, better gas mileage and less distracting. It all about what floats your boat. thats why honda supplies both manual and cvt.

Old 02-21-2016, 04:09 PM
For all you manual peeps out there (present company included), enjoy it while you still can. The next generation might not get a stick shift at all. When I leased mine, the dealer told me they were selling 6 CVT'S for one manual. They couldn't find a blue manual LX in any of the neighboring dealers. Sad times.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:21 PM
5 Year Member
YES!

Manual Transmissions Are Dying: How We Lost Touch With the Clutch

Imminent Death To Manuals: Who's To Blame?

Stick Shift Autos On Their Way Toward Extinction - US News

Old 02-21-2016, 05:51 PM
5 Year Member
Advantage Of A Manual Trans Car.

Nobody else knows how to drive it. They won't be bugging you to borrow your car.

Old 02-21-2016, 11:39 PM
Rpm difference and stop n go traffic is why i have the cvt. I'm at about 2,600 rpm going 80mph on the freeway. A mt fit would be doing 4k rpm at that speed. Mt gets old really fast in stop n go traffic.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:31 AM
5 Year Member
I don't mind shifting and prefer it to having an automatic, however I bought the CVT which is barely audible at 80mph. Downshifting with the paddle shifters to achieve 4k to emulate the sound in the MT @ 80 is a huge difference. Road noise hardly noticeable and engine noise is now dominant. If not for that, I would have chose the MT even with the less than desirable gear ratios.

The CVT now at 14K miles has been a great transmission with very smooth transitions up and down hills with no jerkiness found in other automatics as they switch in and out of the torque converter and rev into a downshift when going up our 75-80mph hills on the SoCal interstate.

If you don't mind engine noise and prefer a more engaging drive, get the MT. If you value cabin quietness for easier conversation at highway speed, you may prefer the CVT.

If I had room for two, I would by the second as an MT and use it for lower speed drives and around town.

Old 02-22-2016, 09:40 AM
5 Year Member

es

Old 02-22-2016, 10:07 AM
5 Year Member
Why are clutches hard to understand or use? Disc brakes are simple: we use a pedal to touch a non-spinning part to a spinning part and use friction to match their speeds. If someone does't "get" disc brakes, we laugh at them and refuse to issue them a license because they can't drive. But applying the same logic to the drivetrain somehow makes you a snob.

I wouldn't want a pile of sensors, solenoids and belts to wait around and begin to decide what I really want to do before applying braking power, and I don't want them doing the same thing on acceleration: pedal down means "go," not "start downshifting until you decide we've hit the right ratio."

That said, where should things be? The throttle should be a lever on the dash with detents for "economy" and "power." The left pedal that we use now for the throttle should be controlling a good CVT. Using technology to help us do what we want is better than adding a layer of technology is what's supposed to happen, not letting it get between us and what we want to do. Until they do it right, I'll do it myself.

Quick Reply: manual or automatic