3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

manual or automatic

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 12:48 AM
5 Year Member
Honda fit manual transmission program.

Here is a program to show estimated RPM on manual transmission 2015 Honda fit in 6th gear at any speed.

The download site is HONDA FIT RPM.exe.delete -- 45k

Download program to desktop and rename file from honda fit rpm.exe.delete to honda fit rpm.exe

Click on file to run progrom

Program written in Visual Basic 6. Let me know how you like it. More to come.

Thanks

James

Old 03-25-2016, 10:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by James Butler
Honda fit manual transmission program.

Here is a program to show estimated RPM on manual transmission 2015 Honda fit in 6th gear at any speed.

The download site is HONDA FIT RPM.exe.delete -- 45k

Download program to desktop and rename file from honda fit rpm.exe.delete to honda fit rpm.exe

Click on file to run progrom

Program written in Visual Basic 6. Let me know how you like it. More to come.

Thanks

James
Wht's that? Exe sounds like a virus. Buy im in a mac so can can not open it anyways.

going back to manual vs cvt's. The claim that they get better mile milage is partially true. If you want to same money in gas not happening. The difference in mpg multiplied by miles for the car and the prices of gasoline(especially in the usa) you well never recoup the cost.

But buy cvt if you like smoothness, silence, easy to use.
Manual if you are more car oriented and frugal in the long run(easy to buy easy to fix and cheaper).

Old 03-25-2016, 11:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KikeDiaz
Wht's that? Exe sounds like a virus. Buy im in a mac so can can not open it anyways.

going back to manual vs cvt's. The claim that they get better mile milage is partially true. If you want to same money in gas not happening. The difference in mpg multiplied by miles for the car and the prices of gasoline(especially in the usa) you well never recoup the cost.

But buy cvt if you like smoothness, silence, easy to use.
Manual if you are more car oriented and frugal in the long run(easy to buy easy to fix and cheaper).

CVT aren't smooth at all. Slippinh sensation from a stop, a jerk as you dial in gas exiting corners, no way to really engine brake. They're useless.

Source: 2014 Civic that I put 2k miles on last month.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:29 AM
5 Year Member
We had a new guy pull a car in. As soon as he stopped it he jumped out and ran over to one of the transmission guys. He was really upset, said "you've got to take a look at this thing, it's slipping all over the place!"

Yeah, that's what continuously variable means.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:55 PM
5 Year Member
I even have "NO CVT equipped cars" in my
Herts Profile. Yes I hate them that bad..
I've sent 4 Nissan Altimas with the CVT
back on the hook due to failing while headed down the road..

The Nissan version induces radical electrical failures in their cars.

Old 03-30-2016, 05:02 PM
jhn
Originally Posted by mike410b
CVT aren't smooth at all. Slippinh sensation from a stop, a jerk as you dial in gas exiting corners, no way to really engine brake. They're useless.

Source: 2014 Civic that I put 2k miles on last month.
This is so uninformed I don't even know what to say. If you're comparing '15 FIt manual to '15 CVT you're unbelievably wrong.

The CVT does engine brake in sport mode. On the track/AX it is super smooth and fast. In fact, faster, more consistent than power shifting (not let off gas) a manual Fit. The "ratios" are better and work with any diameter tire.

The really cool thing is it will auto shift @ about 6800 instead of bounce. I am certain on a number of occasions I've shaved a few 10ths because of this.

Is it as cool and nastalgic as manual? No, not if you don't adapt to different things very well, or you just prefer to be engaged in your driving a bit more. Never once on the AX course or track have I thought "dang, this would be so much more fun if I were rowing the gears myself". But I would have fun doing that as well, as I have in the past. No CVT regrets here.

As a side note, last Friday I hit 107mph at VIR. No draft. Windows up. My fastest there is 110.

Old 03-30-2016, 05:14 PM
jhn
Check this - The Honda Maxxis team runs a CVT in their Fit race car. It appears they've been doing well in the B segment rally. Why would they choose to use a sloppy dummy rubber band thing?

Last edited by jhn; 03-30-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jhn
This is so uninformed I don't even know what to say. If you're comparing '15 FIt manual to '15 CVT you're unbelievably wrong.

The CVT does engine brake in sport mode. On the track/AX it is super smooth and fast. In fact, faster, more consistent than power shifting (not let off gas) a manual Fit. The "ratios" are better and work with any diameter tire.

The really cool thing is it will auto shift @ about 6800 instead of bounce. I am certain on a number of occasions I've shaved a few 10ths because of this.

Is it as cool and nastalgic as manual? No, not if you don't adapt to different things very well, or you just prefer to be engaged in your driving a bit more. Never once on the AX course or track have I thought "dang, this would be so much more fun if I were rowing the gears myself". But I would have fun doing that as well, as I have in the past. No CVT regrets here.

As a side note, last Friday I hit 107mph at VIR. No draft. Windows up. My fastest there is 110.
HUGE thanks for your comment. I actually responded similar to you but deleted it all. I figured I'd be in the minority about the CVT. I have no problems racing mine as well. Naturally aspirated with no tuning and minor modifications (that wasn't supposed to work some said), my CVT is running faster than the turbocharged manual HKS Fit and just as quick as some turbocharged cars stock....as I've posted. It even runs neck and neck with the late model 2015 turbocharged Honda Civic in the 1/4 mile.

Kudos for your post. Looking forward to seeing more from you. I'll be posting more as I get more.

Oh yeah, no slippin' here and can engine brake with 'S' and engine brake more with 'L'. I'm not knocking the manual but I STILL have not seen any 1/4 mile times from any. I've been posting up for over a year now.

I have much love for the manual. I still think the CVT is gold for racing a low horsepowered car. I mean...u can keep the powerband at peak power all the time. Not so in a manual or automatic.

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 03-30-2016 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:39 PM
5 Year Member
I suspect you don't see any 1/4 times because ,,,, why ,, best case a stock NA motor is going to be in the 14's.. I get bored in that amount of time.. I had a 69 VW baja bug that would wheelie..... Way more fun.. A fit is just not a car I'd pick to race.. Its interesting to fiddle with I guess just to see what one will do..

Please report back when they have 200K on them..

Honestly thats the iffy part to me, the tech changes around enough and I've driven enough CVT vehicles to know that I am not a huge fan, its a lack of feedback thing.

My quad has a CVT which makes it easy to drive around, but the maintenance gets old..
but its how shall we put it,, less refined? LOL Hate belt changes.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:40 PM
jhn
I don't think it has a faster launch than a manual. I wish it had launch control but then I remember it is a Fit. I wish it had a lot of things.

I've been brake torque starting and it might help a little. Hold the bakes, give it gas, release the brake. Not sure if it's faster yet.

It's fun. I can hit up the local AX, rip around the race track, get groceries, drive to work and still pull 40+ miles to the gallon.

It's a good beginner car because it's a momentum car that makes for better driving. Nothing worse than the guy that runs out of talent in the first five minutes with the 400+Hp decepticon retro mustang/vette/charger/Camaro/whatever talking ish go out on cold all seasons and blow out a $40,000+ car.

Fit's a good teaching tool. And fun too.

Last edited by jhn; 03-30-2016 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:43 PM
5 Year Member
Someone needs to hack the trans controller to allow you to slam more pressure on the belt shivs at launch, warning likely can break stuff.

ON a quad you change th weights and springs to control launch, the fit cvt uses hydraulics in stead.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jhn

I found the 'engine braking' on the CVT in S mode.

Still hated it.

Different strokes, I wouldn't take a car with a CVT for free (unless I was allowed to IMMEDIATELY sell it)

Old 03-30-2016, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
FWIW my 07 Auto has engine braking on Sport mode and regular mode, sport mode is more aggressive.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:01 PM
jhn
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
I suspect you don't see any 1/4 times because ,,,, why ,, best case a stock NA motor is going to be in the 14's.. I get bored in that amount of time.. I had a 69 VW baja bug that would wheelie..... Way more fun.. A fit is just not a car I'd pick to race.. Its interesting to fiddle with I guess just to see what one will do..

Please report back when they have 200K on them..

Honestly thats the iffy part to me, the tech changes around enough and I've driven enough CVT vehicles to know that I am not a huge fan, its a lack of feedback thing.

My quad has a CVT which makes it easy to drive around, but the maintenance gets old..
but its how shall we put it,, less refined? LOL Hate belt changes.
Cool, and report back on your '15 6mt @ clutch time.

I've never ridden a quad or driven a '14 Civic CVT, so I can't respond, but I've ridden plenty of snowmobiles. The comparison between a snowmobile and the '15 Fit's CVT in sport mode are apples and oranges. They perform nothing alike.

Last edited by jhn; 03-30-2016 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:08 PM
jhn
Originally Posted by mike410b
i found the 'engine braking' on the cvt in s mode.

Still hated it.

Different strokes, i wouldn't take a car with a cvt for free (unless i was allowed to immediately sell it)
get off my lawn

Old 03-30-2016, 08:36 PM
5 Year Member

2014 Civic 174hp CVT vs 204hp manual Civic Si

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 03-30-2016 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
That's too bad! I love racing this Fit, if only mainly to test changes and learn from modifications. I only raced it twice last year at events and actually won at a Honda Day event drag racing a trailered Civic with slicks. A trophy, $$$ and all. Drag racing a CVT! And had fun doing it.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/car-...4-12-15-a.html **Pics down due to Imageshack**

Oh well........

Anyhow....yeah....buy a manual.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:02 PM
Cvt if u wanna drive fast. I have the manual but the clutch delay has ruin it for me.

Old 03-31-2016, 03:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
HUGE thanks for your comment. I actually responded similar to you but deleted it all. I figured I'd be in the minority about the CVT. I have no problems racing mine as well. Naturally aspirated with no tuning and minor modifications (that wasn't supposed to work some said), my CVT is running faster than the turbocharged manual HKS Fit and just as quick as some turbocharged cars stock....as I've posted. It even runs neck and neck with the late model 2015 turbocharged Honda Civic in the 1/4 mile.

Kudos for your post. Looking forward to seeing more from you. I'll be posting more as I get more.

Oh yeah, no slippin' here and can engine brake with 'S' and engine brake more with 'L'. I'm not knocking the manual but I STILL have not seen any 1/4 mile times from any. I've been posting up for over a year now.

I have much love for the manual. I still think the CVT is gold for racing a low horsepowered car. I mean...u can keep the powerband at peak power all the time. Not so in a manual or automatic.
You mean the 2016 turbocharged Honda Civic ?? or 2015?? So confused here.

Also what modification did you do? I am so interested.

If both have the same price I would go for the cvt. But the price is an issue so manual it was. Also I find it better due to the last car I crashed it because I felt asleep. I can not to this in the manual so that's a plus. But other than that if I had the money I would go for the cvt.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:57 AM
5 Year Member
It's beginning to look like this entire discussion is moot, as I don't think Honda is currently importing ANY manual transmission Fits to the U.S. anymore. My local dealer has 12 Fits on the lot currently, and not ONE manual. The only manuals I see being purchased by forum members seem to be leftover '15s.

I suspect the only reason the website still lists the manual transmission at all is to tease potential customers with a lower advertised price. After all the CVT is an $800 upcharge, and all the dealer need say is "sorry, no manuals are available." Voila! Instant upsell!

Yes, I am a cynical old man.

Quick Reply: manual or automatic