3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2015 MT6 Rev Hang issue

Old 02-26-2016, 06:02 PM
Question 2015 MT6 Rev Hang issue

So I've owned the car now for a little over a month and have been getting used to driving a manual again since it's been probably 5 years since my last manual. Anyway, I assumed it was just me getting used to the car, but I'm really starting to notice it seems like there's a significant amount of rev hang on my car. It even seems like I'll come fully off the throttle, and once I depress the clutch, I think the revs actually go slightly UP for a split second. A little googling and I can't find anything on this, it actually seems like most people experience the complete opposite (very little rev hang). Any ideas why I might be experiencing this?

Old 02-26-2016, 08:06 PM
5 Year Member
Fly by wire throttle lag.. There are wide tolerances in the quality and tuning of the electronic throttle and ECU..

Old 02-26-2016, 08:26 PM
There is some rev hang, especially when compared to cars with cable-operated throttles. This is said to be for emissions control reasons, to prevent unburnt gas from going through the engine when the throttle is closed quickly.

You'll find a similar thing on pretty much any modern car. You'll probably also find the rev hang is much less noticeable when the air conditioner compressor is operating.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:11 AM
potentially dumb question. So is the throttle not directly connected to the throttle body? is there any way to fix the associated 'delay'?

Old 02-27-2016, 12:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Honzo
So I've owned the car now for a little over a month and have been getting used to driving a manual again since it's been probably 5 years since my last manual. Anyway, I assumed it was just me getting used to the car, but I'm really starting to notice it seems like there's a significant amount of rev hang on my car. It even seems like I'll come fully off the throttle, and once I depress the clutch, I think the revs actually go slightly UP for a split second. A little googling and I can't find anything on this, it actually seems like most people experience the complete opposite (very little rev hang). Any ideas why I might be experiencing this?
There is another post about it:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...k-thereof.html

Last edited by KikeDiaz; 02-27-2016 at 12:59 AM.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by Honzo
potentially dumb question. So is the throttle not directly connected to the throttle body? is there any way to fix the associated 'delay'?
This is correct. The fits are drive by wire, so the throttle plate is electronically controlled without the use of a throttle cable.

The Rev hang issue, like noted above, is something done to improve emissions by Honda. This exact phenomenon was 'problem' for 8th Gen Si owners.

The best way to cure it will be to see if Hondata comes out with flashpro for the fits so people can change the throttle plate maps.

Old 03-01-2016, 10:04 PM
5 Year Member
Think it's more related to the variable valve timing... and fuel economy / emissions..

I had a 06 Mustang GT that did the exact same thing.. Push in the clutch and revs go up even when off the throttle...

It's slightly annoying. but you get used to it..

Old 03-02-2016, 11:57 AM
Both my 2013 Accord 6-MT6 and my 2013 Fit MT5 do this. All about emissions I've been told.

Mike

Old 03-02-2016, 01:45 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by awhit17
This is correct. The fits are drive by wire, so the throttle plate is electronically controlled without the use of a throttle cable.

The Rev hang issue, like noted above, is something done to improve emissions by Honda. This exact phenomenon was 'problem' for 8th Gen Si owners.

The best way to cure it will be to see if Hondata comes out with flashpro for the fits so people can change the throttle plate maps.

right, it's not the drive by wire causing it, it's the ecu's throttle map to burn off the last of the fuel for emissions as awhit mentioned on his post. my other car has drive by wire but no such hang.

Old 03-02-2016, 02:07 PM
If you don't want to wait for Hondata, I've seen positive reviews on the Sprint Booster. It's a lot of money for something that doesn't do much, but it should help. People mainly use it to fix DBW lag, although I'm sure it would help with the artificial rev hang too.

Old 03-02-2016, 02:45 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lunch box
If you don't want to wait for Hondata, I've seen positive reviews on the Sprint Booster. It's a lot of money for something that doesn't do much, but it should help. People mainly use it to fix DBW lag, although I'm sure it would help with the artificial rev hang too.
i tried spring booster on my GE and it did not work. i had them send me 2 software versions and both did not work at all.. like go right into limp mode wasted like $20-30 on freight alone.

and i run sprint booster on my other car and it's just a throttle voltage multiplier to ramp up the throttle angle earlier than stock.. has nothing to do with the hang (releasing the throttle) from wat i felt.

Old 03-04-2016, 02:16 PM
This is a normal thing (at least to Honda, can't speak to other brands)

My 08 EX did it
Both of my 8th Gen SI's did it
My buddy's 9th Gen SI does it

Only "cure" is Hondata from my experience.

Admittedly it annoyed me for a while, but you get used to it.

Old 03-04-2016, 02:21 PM
5 Year Member
BMW's had this same issue on the E46/3 series. It was found that there was actually a wire that you could cut on the clutch switch and tie it to another ground that fooled the ecu so it didn't notice the throttle going to 0. The side effect was you could start the car without the clutch in.

Old 03-05-2016, 03:40 PM
5 Year Member
Can someone upload a video. I don't know what you are talking about. It might be just a software update just for the usa(maybe to meet cafe standards).

Old 03-05-2016, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by KikeDiaz
Can someone upload a video. I don't know what you are talking about. It might be just a software update just for the usa(maybe to meet cafe standards).