3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

JDM headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 11:48 PM
5 Year Member
JDM headlights

I wanted to know if the JDM Headlights would be plug n play as far as the wiring goes for the U.S. Model. Thanks!

Old 02-29-2016, 03:07 PM
JDM headlights are made for RHD, so the cutoff will be on the wrong side. You'll be throwing glare at oncoming traffic.

Now, if you could find some European spec headlights you might have something.

In my book, the stock headlights are very good. No hot spots in their light distribution and a nice cutoff on the left. Some people seem to think that a big hotspot right ahead of the car means that the lights are better. The fact that they cannot see beyond the hotspot escapes them.

Old 02-29-2016, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by Anthony_gk5
I wanted to know if the JDM Headlights would be plug n play as far as the wiring goes for the U.S. Model. Thanks!
JDM LED Projector headlights have different wiring. So it will not be just plug and play.
Here is a photo of my AUDM LED Projector headlight wiring for comparison.
Black plug is for LED Projector light (Low beam)
and blue plug is for Halogen light (High beam)

Name:  IMG_20141105_104606.jpg
Views: 3373
Size:  56.0 KB

Old 12-02-2016, 10:38 AM
Where did you get those AUDM headlights? This is my first post!

Old 12-02-2016, 10:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
JDM headlights are made for RHD, so the cutoff will be on the wrong side. You'll be throwing glare at oncoming traffic.

In my book, the stock headlights are very good. No hot spots in their light distribution and a nice cutoff on the left. Some people seem to think that a big hotspot right ahead of the car means that the lights are better. The fact that they cannot see beyond the hotspot escapes them.
I agree. Honda headlights are better than my standard 2001 BMW 330i headlights. The OP can replace the standard with higher intensity bulbs, which draw more power and have lower life cycle.

Last edited by wasserball; 12-02-2016 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:05 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Gilly11277
Where did you get those AUDM headlights? This is my first post!
Hint ....his location lists Australia...am guessing stock lighting there

Old 12-02-2016, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by Fuelish
Hint ....his location lists Australia...am guessing stock lighting there
Haha, good thinking!

Aside from this site: JDM Yamato are there any other locations where we can order either the JDM or AUDM head/tail lights? Also, do we know if they are compatible fit-wise? I understand that some of the wiring might be off...

Forgive me for asking soo many questions, I came from 8thGenCivic which was much easier to navigate and there weren't soo many threads for the same car in different generations.

Thank you

Old 12-02-2016, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member
2015 + Honda Fit / JAZZ (GK3 / GK5) - CF-Spec Carbon
CFspec should have headlights and tail lights.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL

I'm not happy with the stock headlights. Part of the reason is that my normally agef 70-year-old eyes do not seem to gather light quite as well as they did when I was younger, but I think I'd still be unhappy if I had younger eyes. I've been in cars with better headlights. My 2010 Matrix had better headlights. 2 halogen lamps by the way. The worst part of the Fit's lights is that when I'm turning onto one road from another, on the road that I am turning into, it is hard to see where that road ends and its shoulder (or the cliff at the edge) begins. High beam, low beam – same problem. It means I have to slow down while I am on the road that I am on, in order to get a better look at the road I am turning onto, before turning onto it, and then turn onto it slowly all the while looking carefully at both sides, to see where the shoulder begins on the right, and the center of the road is on the left. This problem wasn't as bad, on the Matrix. Also the headlights just don't seem bright enough on low beam, or on high beam. On high beam I don't see enough light right in front of the car. There is a brighter spot further down the road, but not still not bright enough. On low beam, there is fairly good light right in front of the car, but the cut-off point is too close to the car. And as I said before there isn't enough light on the left or the right side. So adjusting the lamps up would improve the low beams but make the high beams worse. Adjusting them down would improve the high beams but make the low beams worse. The matrix had brighter lights too. Still not good to the sides, but better than the Fit. Also, when going up a hill with the lights on low beam, the cutoff gets even closer to the front of the car. So I cant see what's at the top of the hill. When going down a hill, the cutoff gets further down the road than when the car is on a level road. Maybe its the other way around? I forgot.

I want to get LED replacements, however the 5 volts supplied to the headlights for DRL function, seems to mean that I'll need to turn off the car's DRL function, by pulling its fuse, and use the headlight at full brightness during the daytime. Which is probably alright to do but a more elegant solution would be separate DRL lamps that aren't as bright as the headlights. No problem buying some LED DRLs and making a mechanical installation in the bumper spaces for the fog lights. The problem however is wiring them in, and adding an on-off switch. Sounds like a PITA. And unless I want to spring for very expensive subscription to Honda's service manual, no-one seems to have a schematic wiring diagram of the car; no-one seems to have car body diagrams showing where connectors are located.

Last edited by nomenclator; 10-17-2017 at 10:09 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:09 AM
5 Year Member
@nomenclator

I'm several years older than you and definitely need better help with night vision. If you find a good solution, please let me know.
I do not plan to shut off DRLs or drill/wire new fixtures, but sensible advice is appreciated.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:58 AM
5 Year Member
Just do what all the other old people in my area do, run hi-beams 24/7

Old 10-18-2017, 09:01 AM
5 Year Member
I was expecting a helpful answer. If that person does not like 'old people' he should not become one.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cgs2000
I was expecting a helpful answer. If that person does not like 'old people' he should not become one.
Sorry didn't mean to hurt your feelings, was just being flippant but honest as it seems every time I run into someone running hi-beams it's an elder driver. I'm also planning on dying young and leaving a handsome corpse, but judging from my 80 year old Dad, I don't think that's going to happen.

I upgraded the headlights bulbs to these (
PIAAs PIAAs
). Not as exotic as LED/HID but they are brighter than the stock ones and have a good cutoff. I also changed out the fog lights as well.

Pictures can be seen on my Build thread

Some have mentioned aiming the stock headlights slightly up as it's aimed lower than they'd like. I haven't done that and don't think it's necessary but YMMV.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:29 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for your sensitive reply...and tell your Dad you've just talked with someone 5 years older than he is.

Old 10-18-2017, 12:58 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for your sensitive reply...and tell your Dad you've just talked with someone 5 years older than he is.
LOL oh and Grandmother is 96. She's slowing down but still manages to live on her own on a 2nd floor flat. She carries her walker up and down the stairs.

Old 10-18-2017, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
Most of the people I've stopped for running high beams all the time turned out to be Asian. Could only tell after they pulled over, because I couldn't see the drivers over the glare. About half of them didn't even know what high beams were, so a short explanation, sometimes including their owners manual if they had it in the glove compartment, usually fixed the problem.

Don't get the wrong idea, though, my ethnic background is half Chinese, half Japanese. Traditionally, I'm supposed to hate myself.

As far as improved night visibility, look at the LED bulb kit Macsfwc got from Xenon Depot in the lighting sub forum. Sharp upper cutoff line and seems to be brighter than stock. I have LED bulbs but the pattern isn't as good.

I do not believe there is a good way to get significantly increased light output without running into DRL issues, though.

Old 10-23-2017, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
@nomenclator

I'm several years older than you and definitely need better help with night vision. If you find a good solution, please let me know.
I do not plan to shut off DRLs or drill/wire new fixtures, but sensible advice is appreciated.
I found these to work very well for me. They're about the most bang for the buck in terms of an upgrade for your headlamps.

Amazon Amazon

Old 10-23-2017, 12:38 PM
5 Year Member
nomenclator:
I got a 'does not fit' your Fit message from Amazon.

Attached Thumbnails JDM headlights-lights.bmp  
Old 10-23-2017, 03:54 PM
5 Year Member
nomenclator:
I got a 'does not fit' your Fit message from Amazon.
Amazon’s “fitment matrix” is screwed up. Any bulb with the numbers “9003”, “H4” or “HB2” fits the Fit. See your owner’s manual.

Last edited by Uncle Gary; 10-23-2017 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:22 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks, Unc, you are helping me.
Is this the set I should order?
Philips 9003 CrystalVision ultra Upgrade Headlight Bulb (Pack of 2)

Quick Reply: JDM headlights