3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.
View Poll Results: Would you purchase the 2015-2016 Honda Fit in hindsight?
Yes
70.59%
No
29.41%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Would You Purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 09:06 AM
Would You Purchase?

Considering the various pros and cons you've experienced or observed through viewing this forum, would you purchase the 2015-2016 Honda Fit in hindsight?

Old 03-14-2016, 09:40 AM
5 Year Member
I voted no. This is my first Honda, and I've spent more time at the dealership getting things fixed under warranty than any car I've owned. The drivetrain so far has been trouble free, but will it last? I'm at almost 22k so we'll see...

I have enjoyed the better than expected gas mileage. Last tank was at 44mpg.

Old 03-14-2016, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member
After owning mine for exactly one year and 17,000 miles, I'm on the fence on this. On the one hand, I LOVE this car. I love the size, the nimble handling, the go-kart like feel on the road, the slick six-speed manual transmission, and the more aggressive styling than the past Fits. I also love the many upscale features of the car such as the moon roof, infotainment system, backup and lane change cameras, and even the upgraded upholstery. Yeah, the fuel economy is easy to deal with, too.

That said, I remain disappointed in the build quality, and Honda's inability to correct several nagging fit and finish issues. I've had the car back at least four times in the first year for issues ranging from a sagging front bumper and a badly misaligned dashboard/A pillar trim (neither of which the dealer could fix), to a misaligned rear axle (replaced under warranty after the right rear tire wore out in 10,000 miles), and a recall for rusted door handle brackets. Then there's also the matter of the cheap carpeting and the paper(?) luggage compartment interior.

In short, this car has been back to the dealer more in the first year than any car I've owned (and I used to drive Chryslers).

Still, the car offers more for the money than anything else in its class IMO, and I don't know what I'd replace it with if I had to.

Old 03-14-2016, 04:56 PM
5 Year Member
Absolutely. My car has all of the pluses cited here and elsewhere with none of the quality and reliability issues others have reported here. My car is consistent with the True Delta data. Built in Mexico, April 2014, owned since that June.

Old 03-14-2016, 06:20 PM
Totally

This is the first car I have truly found enjoyable. While acknowledging many of the problems reported, the core package must be very positive since I have not had serious problems, and I don't credit myself having particularly good luck.

Last edited by Fitster C.; 03-14-2016 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:00 AM
The Fit is amazing. All the features that come with this car, at this price, with this quality, it still blows me away every time I drive it. I can't think of another car, regardless of price that I would get over a Fit. Everything else on the road looks like a bad compromise.

And to top it off the color, Passion Berry Pearl. No other car manufacturer has a color this cool.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit_as_a_butchers_dog
I can't think of another car, regardless of price that I would get over a Fit. Everything else on the road looks like a bad compromise.
Exactly my sentiments^^

Old 03-15-2016, 04:50 PM
5 Year Member
i voted no as well. as a 20+ year honda fanboy, i was soured by this car. sad, i was hoping it was going to be my "old civic", but alas that is not the case.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:25 PM
5 Year Member
I would repurchase a 2016 Honda Fit.

While we hope for better quality, Mazda3's also have their issues, and their purchase price is quite a bit higher. I wished the paint on the Fit was more durable.

There is no other hatch that has as much room and is as fun to drive as the Fit. I also liked the Nissan Micra, but it is more stripped down than the base Fit, and there is less room in the hatch. Then again it is $9,998 CDN.

Old 03-16-2016, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
Took delivery of my 2016 FIT LX MT 12/29/15 and would definitely do it again. No issues with the car whatsoever. Getting good MPG, which I expect will get even better as soon as I get the four snow tires off. It's zippy, fun to drive, and I like the styling.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:45 PM
I only have a bit over 1000 miles, and my answer is a reserved yes. I generally like the car, but there are some nagging compromises that I made and perhaps regret.

I'm coming from a first generation Scion xB and find the Fit to be too low, both from a visibility and ingress/egress standpoint. The legroom and headroom aren't what I'm used to.

The dash is too reflective. I made a dash pad from black felt that cuts the glare considerably.

Not being able to see the hood or corners of the car takes some getting used to. Sometimes I feel I'm driving by Braille.

Visibility is impaired by the huge A-piller.

The radio reception is a bit weak and I'm considering a longer antenna.

The automatic headlights are too sensitive. Just going into a shadow is enough to turn the headlights on. I don't mind the headlights being on, but it also dims that instrument lights so that they are very hard to read. I could turn the instrument lights up, but then I would have to turn them down when it really got dark and the whole point of automatic headlights is to eliminate the need for the driver to adjust things!

The segmented gas gauge is a bit silly and the bouncy MPG meter is totally silly. I wish I could turn it off. Same with the green/blue lights around the speedo. The only time they are green is on downhills and I'm fairly sure that I'm getting good mileage at those times!

Steering wheel blocks the speedometer unless I raise it up too high for comfort.

Whose genius idea was it to put the gear indicator in the tachometer? Why not just put a pointer on the lever that points at the legend next to the shifter? As it is, I just fish for the gear I want.

The dash and console are really busy and it was difficult to find a good place to mount a phone holder. I finally made one that drops into the spare change cup to the right of the parking brake.

I considered the HRV, but it wasn't as well-engineered overall and was a first-year model from Mexico. The 2nd generation xB is too porky and old technology. The Kia Soul came close, but lost on the reliability and mileage fronts and the lack of a CD player and spare tire irked me. If Toyota still sold the Japanese bB in the US I wouldn't be writing this because I'd have one and I'd still be on the Scion forum!

On the plus side, I like the Fit's cargo space (much larger and more convenient than the xB), the power (quick enough, even with the CVT) and the electronics (LX, so no touchscreen audio glitches). Quality and fit-and-finish are top notch, no issues there at all. Mileage is good even for a new engine. 36+MPG in mixed street and freeway driving. My phone paired easily and hands-free dialing and talking works great, though I don't make a lot of use of it.

So, I'm having some transition pains, but the Fit is growing on me. It was the best compromise that I could make and of course the definition of compromise is everyone being equally unhappy. The real test will be to see if the car has the teething problems that others have reported here. I think that I did well to wait for USDM production to get well along in Japan before buying the car.

Last edited by GeorgeL; 03-16-2016 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:38 AM
The fit is my 7th car and honestly, looking back on the cars I have owned, My 2009 Yaris was the one with the least problems. But in comparison to my last few cars, the Fit is great.

My last 2 cars were both american and both full of problems.

2014 Ford Fiesta - 2 clutches gone before reaching 20k miles. Their Dual Clutch Automatic is AWFUL. The build was more plastic than the Fit but the body panels fit better. I spent 84 hours at the dealership over one year.

2013 Chevy Spark - Various problems, all relating to the dealerships messing up. Wrong oil put in, had to have the system pumped. Gaskets going, idle not steady, horrible infotainment.

So, looking back, I am happy with my decision to buy a Fit. There are no other cars on the market in the size that I want that fits my needs. Yes the car has had some problems, but ALL of my new cars in the last 4 years have had problems.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member
0 problems with my 2016 lx

No issues with my 2016 LX with cvt, maybe I'm just easy to please, but the car has been faultless.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by ron3
No issues with my 2016 LX with cvt, maybe I'm just easy to please, but the car has been faultless.
I had the same experience.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by Octopy
The fit is my 7th car and honestly, looking back on the cars I have owned, My 2009 Yaris was the one with the least problems. But in comparison to my last few cars, the Fit is great.

My last 2 cars were both american and both full of problems.

2014 Ford Fiesta - 2 clutches gone before reaching 20k miles. Their Dual Clutch Automatic is AWFUL. The build was more plastic than the Fit but the body panels fit better. I spent 84 hours at the dealership over one year.

2013 Chevy Spark - Various problems, all relating to the dealerships messing up. Wrong oil put in, had to have the system pumped. Gaskets going, idle not steady, horrible infotainment.

So, looking back, I am happy with my decision to buy a Fit. There are no other cars on the market in the size that I want that fits my needs. Yes the car has had some problems, but ALL of my new cars in the last 4 years have had problems.
Great insight! I echo your sentiments regarding Ford's transmission issues. My company recently switched its fleet vehicles from the Ford Focus largely in part due to transmission issues.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:59 PM
Saw your post and thought I'd help you out a bit. Well, her goes

Originally Posted by GeorgeL
I only have a bit over 1000 miles, and my answer is a reserved yes. I generally like the car, but there are some nagging compromises that I made and perhaps regret. REGRETS? FOR WHAT?

I'm coming from a first generation Scion xB and find the Fit to be too low, both from a visibility and ingress/egress standpoint. The legroom and headroom aren't what I'm used to. HOW CAN IT BE TOO LOW? IT'S A CAR, NOT A MILLIPEDE.

The dash is too reflective. I made a dash pad from black felt that cuts the glare considerably. WHAT IS IT REFLECTING? I DON'T SEE THIS AT ALL.

Not being able to see the hood or corners of the car takes some getting used to. Sometimes I feel I'm driving by Braille. IF YOU CANNOT SEE, YOU MIGHT RECONSIDER DRIVING.

Visibility is impaired by the huge A-piller. UH, NO IT'S NOT. THERE'S A WINDOW THERE. NOT A PROBLEM.

The radio reception is a bit weak and I'm considering a longer antenna. RADIO WORKS FINE, NO ISSUES.

The automatic headlights are too sensitive. Just going into a shadow is enough to turn the headlights on. I don't mind the headlights being on, but it also dims that instrument lights so that they are very hard to read. I could turn the instrument lights up, but then I would have to turn them down when it really got dark and the whole point of automatic headlights is to eliminate the need for the driver to adjust things! THIS IS TECHNOLOGICAL PROGRESS. PERHAPS A KEROSENE LAMP WOULD BE MORE PRACTICAL FOR YOUR EXPERIENCES.

The segmented gas gauge is a bit silly and the bouncy MPG meter is totally silly. I wish I could turn it off. Same with the green/blue lights around the speedo. The only time they are green is on downhills and I'm fairly sure that I'm getting good mileage at those times! LOVE THE BLUE / GREEN METER, NOW YOU'RE JUST BEING GROUCHY.

Steering wheel blocks the speedometer unless I raise it up too high for comfort. REALLY? DON'T SEE THIS ONE AT ALL. NOT A PROBLEM.

Whose genius idea was it to put the gear indicator in the tachometer? Why not just put a pointer on the lever that points at the legend next to the shifter? As it is, I just fish for the gear I want. FISHING, FOR GEARS? DON'T EVEN KNOW WHERE TO BEGIN.

The dash and console are really busy and it was difficult to find a good place to mount a phone holder. I finally made one that drops into the spare change cup to the right of the parking brake. UH, PLENTY OF PLACES FOR A PHONE, YOU REALLY DIDN'T LOOK AROUND MUCH FOR THIS ONE.

I considered the HRV, but it wasn't as well-engineered overall and was a first-year model from Mexico. The 2nd generation xB is too porky and old technology. The Kia Soul came close, but lost on the reliability and mileage fronts and the lack of a CD player and spare tire irked me. If Toyota still sold the Japanese bB in the US I wouldn't be writing this because I'd have one and I'd still be on the Scion forum! MY FIT IS FROM MEXICO AND IT'S FINE. THIS SILLINESS ABOUT MEXICO AND JAPAN IS JUST YOU BEING A RACIST. SORRY, BUT A FACT IS A FACT.

On the plus side, I like the Fit's cargo space (much larger and more convenient than the xB), the power (quick enough, even with the CVT) and the electronics (LX, so no touchscreen audio glitches). Quality and fit-and-finish are top notch, no issues there at all. Mileage is good even for a new engine. 36+MPG in mixed street and freeway driving. My phone paired easily and hands-free dialing and talking works great, though I don't make a lot of use of it. CAN'T TELL WHAT YOU'RE CRITICIZING HERE, BUT I'M SURE THERE'S NO PROOF.

So, I'm having some transition pains, but the Fit is growing on me. It was the best compromise that I could make and of course the definition of compromise is everyone being equally unhappy. The real test will be to see if the car has the teething problems that others have reported here. I think that I did well to wait for USDM production to get well along in Japan before buying the car. NO TEETHING PROBLEMS, THE CAR IS FINE.
Well, I hope that helps you out a bit. I'm still trying to figure out how the Fit is too low. If you have a picture of you and your Fit, that might aid us in realizing the height differential.

Old 03-20-2016, 12:39 AM
Well, I hope that helps you out a bit. I'm still trying to figure out how the Fit is too low. If you have a picture of you and your Fit, that might aid us in realizing the height differential.
Thanks for this. My last Camry was lower than this Fit, so maybe he shouldn't be driving a car. I'm starting to get annoyed by all the whiners. This forum has mostly become a bitchfest for people with irrational expectations.

Old 03-20-2016, 03:30 AM
CAN'T TELL WHAT YOU'RE CRITICIZING HERE, BUT I'M SURE THERE'S NO PROOF.
Well, when someone precedes a statement with "On the plus side" it means that they are not criticizing. I guess that in your rush to rebut every statement I made you didn't notice that I was praising these aspects of the car.

As far as the rest of your response, I am simply giving my opinion of the car. For this no "proof" is required. Just because you don't perceive what I do does not mean that what I observe is incorrect. We are looking at the car from different perspectives. Others have made similar comments as I about many aspects of the car.

While I realize that your entire post was intended to provoke argument and that I probably shouldn't nibble at your bait, there is one accusation that should not stand unchallenged.

An observation that cars from one place have more quality issues than cars from another place is not racist. An accusation of racism is just your attempt to divert attention from Honda's poor decision to put a new design in a new factory with inexperienced workers an ocean away from the engineers who designed the car. It is well documented on this forum that there are considerable quality issues with Fits made in Mexico. I don't see nearly the same number of issues reported about the Fits from Japan. Your car may have been perfect, but others have not been so lucky with theirs.

Old 03-20-2016, 12:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
Well, when someone precedes a statement with "On the plus side" it means that they are not criticizing. I guess that in your rush to rebut every statement I made you didn't notice that I was praising these aspects of the car.

As far as the rest of your response, I am simply giving my opinion of the car. For this no "proof" is required. Just because you don't perceive what I do does not mean that what I observe is incorrect. We are looking at the car from different perspectives. Others have made similar comments as I about many aspects of the car.

While I realize that your entire post was intended to provoke argument and that I probably shouldn't nibble at your bait, there is one accusation that should not stand unchallenged.

An observation that cars from one place have more quality issues than cars from another place is not racist. An accusation of racism is just your attempt to divert attention from Honda's poor decision to put a new design in a new factory with inexperienced workers an ocean away from the engineers who designed the car. It is well documented on this forum that there are considerable quality issues with Fits made in Mexico. I don't see nearly the same number of issues reported about the Fits from Japan. Your car may have been perfect, but others have not been so lucky with theirs.
Thank you.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:22 AM
Lightbulb

Quick Reply: Would You Purchase?