3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

People who don't clear their car roof of snow/ice before driving should...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 10:50 AM
5 Year Member
People who don't clear their car roof of snow/ice before driving should...

So the hype of a huge spring nor'easter March 21st came and went with but only a few inches of wet clumpy snow only to be melted by the afternoon.

As some of you know I have a dash cam installed hardwired to my GK. The culprit was a red toyota truck who did not clear his roof at all of about 4 inches of snow. At highway speed he was in the other lane in relation to me. 65mph and a chunk of ice flies off and hits the windshield causing a spider crack right in the drivers line of sight. I could partially read the license plate, but half of his plate was covered by snow surprise surprise.

Allstate has been my insurance for some time now. Full glass coverage is a wonderful thing. I told them about the video capturing a partial license plate and they said don't worry about it. Basically shit happens the agent said. She was very nice, put me in for a new replacement this Saturday with a Honda OEM windshield which is luckily stocked in CT, not Mexico. Safelite is doing the work.

FYI, dealer retail cost for the windshield is $790 USD plus tax!!! WHOA!

Old 03-24-2016, 01:04 PM
5 Year Member
That definitely sucks.

Old 03-24-2016, 02:25 PM
5 Year Member
Some states ticket people for it,, and rightfully so I might add.. Lazy buggers..

Old 03-24-2016, 02:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
Some states ticket people for it,, and rightfully so I might add.. Lazy buggers..
The state of Connecticut actually does ticket people if you do not clear your car properly during the winter unfortunately my dash camera wasn't clear enough to get the full license plate if I did I would have certainly submitted it to the local police department in order to get this guy ticketed. Unfortunately I could not get a clear enough picture since I was not directly behind him. If I did get a clear picture would not hesitate to blow thw whistle on him. That's extremely dangerous on the road

Old 03-24-2016, 02:47 PM
5 Year Member
When I was in the military they wouldn't let us out of ht main gate with snow on our car, they had a pile of brooms for us to use while they watched..

Old 03-24-2016, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member
We're still getting pounded up here in Northern Michigan; took me 15 minutes to clear off the snow when leaving for lunch. Probably a repeat later today - 18" to 22" forecast. Thankfully the bars on my roof rack have enough clearance to push the snow brush through.

My snow blower is at the shop being "summerized." At least I have four snow tires still on my Fit.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:41 PM
5 Year Member
I use a 4x6 tarp on my windshield area and roof when I know the cold weather is coming in. Just to save scraping.. Couple bungee cords to hold it down.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member
Then what do you do with the tarp (after it avalanches)? I garage my car at home, but am at my office right now. And yes, there's more snow to brush off in about 15 minutes.

The Easter Penguin has replaced the Easter Bunny up here.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:48 PM
5 Year Member
I just pull the tarp off to get the snow off.. Never had a issue and I've worked at a ski lodge where 2' a day was normal..

Old 03-24-2016, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
Last night and this morning we had snow/freezing rain/rain, and sheets of ice were coming off the top of trucks. People were driving well back of them. Sheet ice was also coming off crosswalk signs and the like. You don't want to be underneath when the ice gives way.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator
Insurance coverage is great!!! First off, good thing nothing worse happened in that inclement weather situation.
After they replace it with the OEM glass, it will feel as good as new.
Am one of those that believes in the value of automobile video cams. 99% of the time the loop recordings just go on and on but when you need the evidence, its there for insurance purposes.
Good show buds!!!

Old 03-25-2016, 07:26 AM
5 Year Member
I know I'll get flamed for this but I gotta say in my wayward youth we'd never take snow off the car roof and thought it was kind of cool when we'd punch the pedal on the open road and watch in the rear view mirror as that big sheet of snow would go flying off. My windshield has been bombed many times by a car in front of me but a few swipes of the wiper would take care of it and my car was has never been damaged. Once or twice every winter we'd get nailed by snow coming off a semi-trailer but you learn after a while to position you car to avoid that and it usually solved the problem.

Old 03-25-2016, 05:54 PM
5 Year Member
LOL So you got lucky. Our snow out west is heavier and wetter than it is back in your part of the country..

Old 03-25-2016, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
LOL So you got lucky. Our snow out west is heavier and wetter than it is back in your part of the country..
Oh we get the heavy stuff sometimes too, it all depends on the temp. Gotta love da Windy City.

Old 03-26-2016, 09:08 AM
5 Year Member
Tech called said he will be here earlier around 11am est. They got the OEM glass! Sweet!

Yes glad nothing else bad happened. The dash camera is a basic 1080P, the quality is great, but at 120 degree view I wish it had more depth of view. Still great for the price. Yes even my insurance agent, ive known her since I was 16 and other family members have policies with her. Even she told me a dash cam is great to have, but it can also potentially hurt you if the cops find you to be in the wrong on the video. Still video evidence is more compelling than heresay though.

Ive thought about those windshield covers for snow, i found a link awhile back and was going to get one, but the snow season is done for now. I like the idea of saving time by not scraping in the morning.

Old 03-26-2016, 01:30 PM
5 Year Member
Job is complete! Had a 10yr veteran glass guy from Safelite working on the car. Very happy with the result! One hour and he was done!

Crack on drivers line of sight.

Look ma no windshield!

OEM honda windshield

Old 03-26-2016, 08:53 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry bout your windshield, glad you got it fixed. In the cleveland area I regularly see people who don't go past clearing a 12inX12in spot on the windshield & that is usually blocked by their phone.