3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

New IIHS headlight ratings

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 03:55 AM
5 Year Member
New IIHS headlight ratings

There is going to be a new standard on how headlight are being evaluated. I think the fit has awesome light specially in high beam(at least compared to the cars I have owned-cryslers&dodge).

How are your headlights performing? Any upgrades you have done to see better? What do you think about high-beam assist?

New IIHS ratings show most headlights are lacking

Car Headlight Performance Found to Be Not So Bright - Consumer Reports

Old 03-31-2016, 06:59 AM
5 Year Member
Frankly I think the low beams are lacking a bit, esp. on hilly roads -- it just doesn't seem go out far enough. I'm hoping that a slight upward realignment (discussed on more than one thread here) will cure that.

High beam assist is nice but it's going to take a while to filter down to cars like ours (of course, I said that once about backup cameras too).

Old 03-31-2016, 07:07 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Problem is with oncoming traffic. Cars come in different heights and depending on some cars oncoming light is too bright. Also cost. All 4 Fits I have/had are on the darker end especially on a wet dark road. With high beams not too bad.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:28 AM
5 Year Member
I think my low beams are set too low. I'll need to search for how high they should go and then adjust them up. I remember doing this for my motorcycle. x feet back, low beams should go up to x feet high.

Old 03-31-2016, 03:56 PM
One part of that report verifies something that I have suspected for a long time. They found that the high-tech headlights (HID, LED, etc.) weren't necessarily any better than conventional reflector/lens H4 lights.

I don't find any deficiencies with my Fit's headlights. They provide even illumination over the visual field, just as they are supposed to do.

It is no surprise that IIHS rates almost every car low. It's a new rating and rating a bunch of cars low guarantees press coverage. If they said "we tested all the headlights and everything is just fine and dandy" nobody would pay them any attention.

Anyone who feels that today's stock headlights are deficient really needs to spend a few hours in a car with sealed beams!

Old 03-31-2016, 03:58 PM
5 Year Member
I have to ask, "deficient compared to what?"

Old 03-31-2016, 05:25 PM
That's an excellent question. Everyone comes from a different point of view. My cars, with the exception of the classics, have relatively modern conventional lens and reflector headlights.

I've driven cars with HIDs and LEDs and was not terribly impressed. Yes, the light is bluer and looks brighter, but that apparent brightness is due to hot spots in the pattern. Things in the hot spots are quite visible, but anything not in the hot spot is hidden. Blue light, despite the hype, isn't easier to see with. Human vision is most sensitive in the yellow-green region.

Apparently, the IIHS wasn't impressed by high-tech lighting systems either.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:33 PM
I agree with TorontoBoy. Mine are horrible on dark hilly roads. It seems like they're pointing too far down.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
I adjusted mine the first week and now they project properly.

Old 04-01-2016, 01:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tbFit
I adjusted mine the first week and now they project properly.
X2

I think that headlamps in new cars are aimed so that a FULLY-LADEN car (with the back end sagging low) will not 'blind' people.

I've properly adjusted every car I've ever owned for my own typical loading, and the benefits are observable.

Is anyone advocating the return of 7" round sealed beams???? j/k

Old 04-01-2016, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by Carbuff2
Is anyone advocating the return of 7" round sealed beams????
Nope, but my old E-spec 7" German Bosch H-4 headlights remain the best headlights I've ever driven behind, including modern HID projectors and LEDs. It is difficult to beat a well-engineered reflector and lens not constrained by the need to fair into bodywork in producing an even distribution of light with a sharp cutoff on low beam.

Knock them if you will, but those old sealed beams never went yellow, clouded up, or cost hundreds of dollars to replace if broken!