3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Warranty in terms of self oilchange

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 07:28 PM
Post Warranty in terms of self oilchange

Hi Guys,

i've been reading a lot about the plastic under cover issues and how other's have gotten oil change at dealer only to have it fall off and being charged to replace it. i went to dealership to order the plastic push in screw, they had to special order which further proves that dealership ain't going to put new parts in if it's damaged.

Been browsing thru this forum and found lots of great useful information. I've gotten honda genuine everything, oil & filter, and ready for my first oil change, maintenance minder 1A, oil life at 10%.

But my father in law told me if i do the oil change myself, i would void the warranty. I was wondering if anyone can confirm this is true?

Because if it is, sure feels like legal robbery, selling me the car and then only guaranteeing warranty if i take it back.

I live in ontario, if that helps...

Please let me know so i can decide what to do.

Thanks in advance guys!

Old 07-16-2016, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member
It will not void your warranty. Keep receipts and note mileage on your service history booklet (assuming there is one) as proof of service if it ever comes into question.

BTW I keep a big box of those pushpins in my work area for when they break during a service....our parts department usually doesn't have them when I need them.

Last edited by ezone; 07-16-2016 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:52 AM
5 Year Member
What I've done is photograph my oil changes (use my cell phone camera to photograph the mileage, oil life remaining screen, the supplies and myself pouring in the engine oil). Any digital camera also date stamps the photo file, so I have a record.

For the US, this will work, as we have protection under the Magnuson-Moss law. Canada may have different laws regarding warranty coverage. I don't know.

Old 07-23-2016, 01:57 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Who cares about ur father in law. It's ur car, just do it and keep the receipts if ur worried.

Old 07-29-2016, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by justanewbie
Hi Guys,

i've been reading a lot about the plastic under cover issues and how other's have gotten oil change at dealer only to have it fall off and being charged to replace it. i went to dealership to order the plastic push in screw, they had to special order which further proves that dealership ain't going to put new parts in if it's damaged.

Been browsing thru this forum and found lots of great useful information. I've gotten honda genuine everything, oil & filter, and ready for my first oil change, maintenance minder 1A, oil life at 10%.

But my father in law told me if i do the oil change myself, i would void the warranty. I was wondering if anyone can confirm this is true?

Because if it is, sure feels like legal robbery, selling me the car and then only guaranteeing warranty if i take it back.

I live in ontario, if that helps...

Please let me know so i can decide what to do.

Thanks in advance guys!
In the US, there's hardly anything that will void a warranty unless it is a modification that clearly leads to a failure ... adding a turbocharger, changing a chip, deliberate abuse, disconnecting safety devices, something the factory or dealer can prove caused damage. Exhaust changes are generally ok as long as the anti-pollution stuff is intact and in working order.

The early tuners and hot-rodders took this task on and generally won.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:44 AM
5 Year Member
justanewbie, Welcome to the forum. These videos should give you (and your father-in-law) some confidence.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:51 AM
5 Year Member
Based on the manual, A1 service does not include the oil filter. Only the B service calls for an oil filter change along with the engine oil. So far, the intervals for me have been around 10k kms, give or take 1000kms. Service letters alternate, so the 1st one I had was A1, followed by B1, then I had A1, followed by B2, etc. So the oil filter is to be replaced every other oil change, basically.

I do my oil changes with aftermarket filters and oil. No issues to speak of. As for the warranty .... I put miles so quickly that I don't really care lol.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:05 AM
5 Year Member
I change my oil filter at every oil change. With oil changes on this car coming around every 9,000 miles give or take, I figure it's cheap insurance.

Old 08-11-2016, 05:24 PM
5 Year Member
I recently bought a new under tray for my GD and the new tray was shaped so you could get the oil filter off without removing it they didn't carry the plastic quite as far back and there is a zig in the trailing edge below the filter so the oil doesn't drip on it.. ... YMMV