3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Flapping noise (kind of) when cruising (not accelerating)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 02:12 PM
5 Year Member
Flapping noise (kind of) when cruising (not accelerating)

Hi everyone,

Recently i have noticed a flapping/clicking noise on the passenger side (only with the window down) when Not accelerating (that is just cruising).

I did a visual inspection and nothing seemed hanging loose. Also since this noise comes only while cruising I am concerned.

While I know this is not a mechanics forum still if anyone has experience/expertise that would be appreciated.

More so I am here to understand what should I expect from the dealer. This is a LX bought less than 1.5 years with standard warranty. If there is something broken or cracked will the dealer fix it for free? (I would expect they diagnose it for free?) Or will he say its my fault and I would have to pay (i don't remember doing anything crazy which would suddenly cause damage to the car)

I am just trying to better informed, and if such things are not covered in warranty is it okay to get it fixed at some other mechanic shop?

Old 08-01-2016, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
Get back under the car and tug a bit on the splash shield, it could be loose but line up and look OK when you're not moving. Most likely it's covered under the warranty and 99% of the time it happens because someone messed up when doing the oil change. Sometimes you'll read here about a dealer saying it's a wear item and try to charge but if you stand your ground it should work out. If they persist, try another dealer.

Last edited by bach; 08-01-2016 at 07:46 PM. Reason: I like to edit
Old 08-02-2016, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member
Bach thanks for responding. Why would the splash shield make a noise only when cruising (not accelerating) ... shouldn't it make a noise regardless of me accelerating or just cruising or even while braking?

Old 08-02-2016, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member
Not really consistent. When mine was detached it only flapped when extremely windy, but it wasn't sagging when I looked at it so it took some time to figure out.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:48 PM
5 Year Member
Does a passenger hear the same noise? The only reason I ask is that noises can be very hard to isolate and sometimes what's heard from the driver's seat is different than what's heard in other seats. Perhaps increased engine sound at acceleration is masking a constant noise that you hear only when coasting?

Last edited by Alco RS-1; 08-03-2016 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:50 AM
5 Year Member
Alco RS-1 Yes I have confirmed with one of the passengers that the noise does come while flapping. I intend to wait till the next oil change to get this checked which could be in a month or two.

But my main question is if something is cracked/broken and needs to be fixed or replaced will the Honda dealers do it for free or will they charge me (my car is less than 2 years old)?

Old 08-12-2016, 08:04 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cyclist007
But my main question is if somethriing is cracked/broken and needs to be fixed or replaced will the Honda dealers do it for free or will they charge me (my car is less than 2 years old)?
If the car is still under the 3/36 warranty and it is determined that the problem wasn't caused by misuse (you scraped up the shield while riding a 4-wheeler trail in the desert, for example) or simple wear and tear (brakes and clutches are considered wear items, for example) it will be repaired at no cost to you.