Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Clank noise on reverse/slow speed

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 01:04 PM
Question Clank noise on reverse/slow speed

So I've searched the forums and just wanted to clear this up before I spend a weekend at a dealership.

Whenever I put the Fit in reverse (from a cold start in the mornings) or after driving for a short period (5-10 minutes) and pull in to a parking lot and drive slowly in the parking lot there's an audible "clank" noise like a screw-driver hitting something when the gear shifts, its a one time noise and not repeating over and over again. We only just started experiencing it (~15,000 on a 2007 Fit).

We have an extended warranty and I tried calling a dealer to ask if it was normal but he won't even talk to me without scheduling to bring the car in and leave it there for a weekend. Since we only have the one car and my wife and I will need a car this doesn't really work for us (we won't even be able to get home from the dealer).

So is this something that people have experienced (the noise) or do you have any idea what the noise is so I can go in with an educated guess?

Or could someone could recommend a good dealership to take my car to near San Mateo bridge in Northern California?

Old 01-29-2010, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member
I had a slight clanking sound coming from the rear drums when applying the brakes after moving from reverse when brakes are cold. I just took off the rear drums, cleaned them, regreased the shoe contact points, and readjusted the parking brake cables and it went away. Not sure if this is similar to your problem.

What area do you hear the clanking sound coming from front or back?

Old 01-29-2010, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by Evotech8
I had a slight clanking sound coming from the rear drums when applying the brakes after moving from reverse when brakes are cold. I just took off the rear drums, cleaned them, regreased the shoe contact points, and readjusted the parking brake cables and it went away. Not sure if this is similar to your problem.

It's definitely coming from the engine area, front drivers side. It happens when I put the car in reverse almost 100% of the time.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:07 AM
Evotech8, somebody with exactly the same problem

Originally Posted by Evotech8

How did you remove the drum? , hammering has been unsuccess

Old 06-08-2010, 11:28 AM
5 Year Member
Reverse gear in a manual transmission is a simple non-synchro setup, usually sliding spur gears. They can "clank" on engagement. Mine is brand new and does it. Nothing to worry about as long as there are no other transmission noises.