3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

single din head unit

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member
single din head unit

i bought a 2016 dx and plan to put my single di head unit , i search in this forum for uninstall oem head unit but i found nothing , i know there cables and adapter on web but i looking for pictures , what cables to plug etc

Old 07-25-2016, 12:19 AM
Your install should be much easier than mine since you dont have the EX with integrated lanewatch camera. Cant say on if your new single din will interact with the backup camera. Even with the lower trim HU the backup camera is still controlled through the canbus and GCM (gauge cluster module)

Old 07-25-2016, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member
a small point i have read is you may not be able to reset the clock display (if you have a seperate clock?) because time change is done through head unit.

I WOULDN'T change it. I have heard about other 99 era models where the security system required the original head unit to be kept under the seat or somewhere, still attached, there is a option (NOT a good option ) lol

really i wouldn't change it.

There are a few threads about upgrading using the existing audio system.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:10 PM
5 Year Member
well it is a alpine ida-x305 with a clock already on the alpine so i do not understand your point ,

i will hear the sound of the oem first but i doubt the SQ is better and this alpine is 100% ipod integration in usb

i am an audiophiles so this honda link radio as to be a verry verry good sound to make me keep it in the car

i plan also to put better component speakers and my alpine have mutiple rca output to use an amp

Last edited by fred9000; 07-25-2016 at 04:17 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
I think 2015fitex is talking about the clock in your dashboard binnacle, not the clock on the head unit. They are linked. If you set the clock on the head unit, the dashboard binnacle clock follows it. If your aftermarket unit has a clock, great, but you might not have one on the dashboard binnacle anymore if they don't talk to each other.

It's much more involved to replace the head unit on the GK5 than it was on previous models, because of the integration of the backup cameras/lane watch cameras and the CANBUS unit. If your aftermarket head unit does not support backup cameras, for ex., you lose that function completely unless you can route the backup camera to a separate display. So it's always possible to replace the head unit, but that doesn't mean you're getting the same functionality as before.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:07 PM
5 Year Member
i am not shure if i follow you but do you talk about the clock in the dash display ? is the fact that they link is important ?

Old 07-26-2016, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, binnacle means the little clusters of dash directly ahead of the steering wheel - center one for the speedo, right one for the odometer, clock etc.

With the Honda head units, you set the time on both clocks via the head unit, because they're on the same circuit, so to speak. Now if you replace the head unit with an aftermarket, that link between the two clocks might not work anymore. So you would be able to set the time on the aftermarket head unit but not on the dash clock anymore. Might not make a difference to you if the dash clock doesn't read the correct time, but it might make a difference at resale time.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:20 PM
You might be better served not doing this swap.

When I was into car mods years ago, the radio had no other purpose than to be a radio. swap was no big deal.

Unless you fully understand the electrical system in your car, leave the radio alone.

Swap losing some services may also screw up trade value.

Crutchfield can tell you on the site what facilities you will lose converting to a different HU. Just pick one as close to yours and see what you may lose.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:19 PM
5 Year Member
apart the resale value and lost of rearview camera on dx canadian model , can i scew up the trip computer if the clock is not good ?

Old 09-03-2016, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member
I don't think so. Since the trip computer is controlled by the little push button above the dash display and not by the head unit, should work just fine. I can't see how replacing the head unit would affect the trip computer functions on the LX. You might lose some of the data items from the EX, however.

Old 04-25-2017, 03:45 PM
5 Year Member
i can confirm after multiple try , when you change the radio you lost the possibility of adjusting the dash clock , if you reput the 5" non touch hu in lx , it do not need code + you can ajust dash clock like before

so if you want to resell the car you put back the original radio and voila .