3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Very Happy with MPG

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member
Very Happy with MPG

3,000 miles on my 2016 LX CVT so far and am averaging well over 40 mpg. It's been getting better as I've learned the nuances of how to squeeze the most out of the car with good driving techniques. This continues to be the best car I've ever owned on many levels and is my 3rd Fit.

Best run so far:

More than 400 miles on a single tank with the display showing an average of 49.8 mpg and it only took 8.5 gallons to fill it up after the trip.

Regular gas, factory spec tire pressure, A/C mostly on, Econ mostly on, and at least one and sometimes two passengers.

This was a road trip to and through the White Mountains in NH. Not much stop and go traffic and not much high-speed highway driving -- mostly 2 lane rural roads with average speeds around 45-60 mph and no major headwinds. But it did include lots of rolling hills and a few good steep climbs. I turned Econ off for the longer climbs because the transmission tended to 'hunt' a little in Econ mode but maintained a steadier RPM with Econ off.

My thoughts about how to get the best mileage out of the new Fits is similar to what many others report:

Mileage seems to drop off quickly above 60 to 70 mph. On a different highway trip I drove for efficiency but with a headwind. I got just under 45 mpg taking it easy and mostly on cruise control. On the way home I turned off Econ and drove pretty hard (75+), including a couple full-throttle accelerations out of toll booths. Average mileage was about 41 mpg. Fits don't seem to be particularly aerodynamic -- maybe because they're so tall?

Conservation of momentum is also very important. Don't use the throttle or the brakes unless you have to. Pay attention, anticipate traffic flow, gain speed downhill and let the car lose some speed uphill, etc.

Econ button seems to make a real difference.

Attached Thumbnails Very Happy with MPG-20160919_132937.jpg  
Old 09-19-2016, 07:58 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, tell them prius drivers to go take a hike with their earth contaminating batteries.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:45 PM
Nice job Percy. Top off the gas tank and you'll hit 500 miles one day.

Headwinds can take a toll on mpg if it's strong enough. I couldn't get past 36 mpg on one stretch of highway because I was going against a 15-20 mph headwind. And you can get decent mpg on some of these 2 lane rural roads that you mentioned.

And props for calling it the econ button - most everyone calls it eco for some reason

Old 09-23-2016, 03:08 AM
Man averaging over 40 mpg even with full throttle take offs is awesome!
You should do a test, and see what is the LOWEST MPG you can average in a Fit

Old 09-23-2016, 07:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TorqueNews
I just don't understand one thing. Toyota Prius seems to be heavier and bigger than Honda Fit, yet Prius averages about 50 miles per gallon. How do they do it?
Maybe it's the hybrid engine...

Old 09-23-2016, 08:57 AM
5 Year Member
Even with the manual transmission I can average over 40 MPG without trying too hard. Running the AC costs about 1 MPG give or take, and winter mileage drops off some as well (snow tires, winter gas, weather all take a toll). My best one trip average was over 44 MPG (55+/-5 MPH on two lane state roads).

Not too bad for the much maligned manual transmission and no Econ button.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
Even with the manual transmission I can average over 40 MPG without trying too hard. Running the AC costs about 1 MPG give or take, and winter mileage drops off some as well (snow tires, winter gas, weather all take a toll). My best one trip average was over 44 MPG (55+/-5 MPH on two lane state roads).

I was looking at getting the MT when I first saw the Fit and would have been happy getting 40 MPG, but I'm ecstatic getting 47 on my EX CVT. Not bad when it's rated at 38 highway and 35 combined. Granted it's all in eco mode, but the Fit is my commuter car so I'm trying to eek out every MPG I can. I have an 85 mile round trip commute so every bit helps. It's also awesome filling up for less than $20

Old 09-23-2016, 10:29 AM
Overcoming air resistance at speed is where most of your HP is used. Cars with a lower coefficient of drag will usually get better mpg. The Prius for example is in the top 5 of all passenger cars with a Cd of 0.25. The Fit is in the 0.35 area.

Old 09-24-2016, 01:40 AM
Prius and the other hybrids have Atkinson cycle engines, which allows higher fuel efficiency, with the tradeoff of power. But the electric assist makes up for the power deficiency. This feature alone acts for 15% fuel savings at highway speeds.

Old 09-24-2016, 02:06 AM
5 Year Member
I'm getting 35+ mpg in daily driving with my 6 spd (small city/country backroads), have gotten 40+ mpg on a roadtrip to MI......going on a roadtrip to Gulf Shores Alabama this weekend, am expecting even better (I-75 from here to MI is a continual construction project, hard to maintain any kind of cruise speed) Am thoroughly satisfied with the gas mileage vs the fun-to-drive factor. Love our FIT

Old 09-24-2016, 07:24 AM
5 Year Member

That's awesome that these cars can do that. But unfortunately my Fit will never ever see those numbers. NYC driver and with that type of driving the people will hang you on a stake here. My wife averages 24mpg mostly all city which is not bad I think I don't know I see everyone here does some type of highway run. Does anyone run city? If you do, can you add the numbers so I can compare and not feel as bad

Old 09-24-2016, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by FitRaptor
Does anyone run city? If you do, can you add the numbers so I can compare and not feel as bad
Don't feel bad. I get mid to upper 20's driving around the Cocoa Beach area. Screwed up traffic lights and heavy traffic = poor mpg. This area is hybrid territory - now I know why I see so many Prius' around here.

Highway I can get 40's and 50's.

Old 09-24-2016, 03:17 PM
I consistently get 33-35 in city driving.

Old 10-01-2016, 05:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary

That's pretty good - I only average 34mpg and change and thats a mixture of highway (with hills) and city and I don't drive the car that hard.

Old 01-07-2017, 01:15 PM
5 Year Member
You lucky! In SF Bay Area, I averaged 35 mpg every workday.

On weekends, averaged 38 mpg.

Once took a trip up north in Oregon, it averaged 40-50 mpg.

Old 01-07-2017, 01:32 PM
5 Year Member
6MT all city driving, no air. I am happy with the gas mileage

summer: 6.5L/100km 36.2mpg
summer with highway diving: 5.4L/100km 43.6mpg
winter: 7.5L/100km 31.4mpg, winter gas, snow tires
winter with snow on ground: 8.5L/100km 27.7mpg, winter gas, snow tires, worst month is Feb

coast down hills in neutral, anticipate traffic, use the brake as little as possible, keep the little gremlin inside in check

Old 01-07-2017, 05:27 PM
5 Year Member
City mpg is a pretty meaningless number because it largely hinges on how much stop and go you have. Take a car stuck at a red light for 3 minutes. I guess your Fit will be idling efficiently compared to a Yukon idling next to you but you're both getting 0 mpg. I can go 5 miles one direction from where I live and I encounter 27 stop lights. If I go the other direction I encounter 4. If I encounter a stretch where I can can do a constant 35 mph the mpg meter says 45-50 mpg which is what it says when I'm doing 60 mph on a highway. So the 35 mpg I see in the city is really an expression of the number of lights I encounter and that will vary from city to city as the 24 mpg FitRaptor mentioned earlier indicates for NYC.

I posted recently about a trip I did last summer and the same trip I just did in winter. Outward I got 54 mpg last summer but the winter it was 48 mpg. Return last summer was 48 mpg and this winter was 43 mpg. All factors essentially equal though I was using winter gas (which is only supposed to affect by 3% from what I read but I was seeing a 10% reduction for winter driving).

Old 01-10-2017, 09:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Limmie
City mpg is a pretty meaningless number because it largely hinges on how much stop and go you have. Take a car stuck at a red light for 3 minutes. I guess your Fit will be idling efficiently compared to a Yukon idling next to you but you're both getting 0 mpg. I can go 5 miles one direction from where I live and I encounter 27 stop lights. If I go the other direction I encounter 4. If I encounter a stretch where I can can do a constant 35 mph the mpg meter says 45-50 mpg which is what it says when I'm doing 60 mph on a highway. So the 35 mpg I see in the city is really an expression of the number of lights I encounter and that will vary from city to city as the 24 mpg FitRaptor mentioned earlier indicates for NYC.

I posted recently about a trip I did last summer and the same trip I just did in winter. Outward I got 54 mpg last summer but the winter it was 48 mpg. Return last summer was 48 mpg and this winter was 43 mpg. All factors essentially equal though I was using winter gas (which is only supposed to affect by 3% from what I read but I was seeing a 10% reduction for winter driving).
Interesting enough. Can you provide some insights as to how you achieved 54 mpg?

Old 01-11-2017, 06:54 AM
Originally Posted by wasserball
Interesting enough. Can you provide some insights as to how you achieved 54 mpg?

Limmie may have the highest MPG for a trip in a Fit on this board. There may be others that beat that number - can't remember for sure. Anyway, he'll be able to respond as to how he did it when he logs on again.

As for me, I got a bit over 53 mpg on one trip but it wasn't easy. Link is here: Breaking the 500 mile barrier

Old 01-11-2017, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member
MPG is pretty average considering how much more these cars weight when compared to the Sub compacts of the 90's. But in honesty we were getting 35+ MPG with the mid 90's Sentras/200sx/Neons/Civics with 90's technolody and engine tolerance.