3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Strange Problem...

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 03:18 PM
5 Year Member
Strange Problem...

So my brand new Fit has a strange problem.

A few days back, I wake up and see that the mist/condensation of the morning has left the back hatch window dirty...well it had just become dirty naturally. But the mist exposed the dirt that much more. And when I'm looking, there is an obvious "drip" of "something...from under the spoiler, dripping about 2/3rds of the way down the center of the window. No big deal.

I go out clean the entire window, it looks fine.

Next morning...in exactly the same area, another "drip".

It's almost like some glue, or substance is getting moist and dripping down the window.

I've looked under the spoiler, and I told The Fit to turn it's head and cough, but I can't see anything.

But liked a haunted house with walls bleeding blood, it keeps happening.

The drip seems to slowly getting shorter every day, so I'm just going to keep cleaning it off and hope it stops.
But it is annoying. And I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this.

Old 09-29-2016, 05:48 PM
5 Year Member
It's a drop of windshield washer fluid from the rear window washer nozzle. My '09 Fit would always drip on the back window when parked in the sun.

Old 09-30-2016, 12:46 AM
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
It's a drop of windshield washer fluid from the rear window washer nozzle. My '09 Fit would always drip on the back window when parked in the sun.
Ah, very clever.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:43 AM
5 Year Member
Thank you...
And you are absolutely right.
I checked underneath and the mysterious drip is right underneath the washer nozzle.

The only thing that bothers me is that it hasn't been hot, PLUS what did Honda put in the fluid tank?

At least I know what is causing it now.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:38 AM
5 Year Member
Your car has the drips. You may want to give it some antibiotics or something

Old 09-30-2016, 08:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
Thank you...
And you are absolutely right.
I checked underneath and the mysterious drip is right underneath the washer nozzle.

The only thing that bothers me is that it hasn't been hot, PLUS what did Honda put in the fluid tank?

At least I know what is causing it now.
I don't think it has to be "hot" per se, but the hose for the washer runs through the car under the roof. When parked, the roof warms in the sun, the fluid in the hose expands a bit from the heat and a drop or two gets forced out the nozzle.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
I don't think it has to be "hot" per se, but the hose for the washer runs through the car under the roof. When parked, the roof warms in the sun, the fluid in the hose expands a bit from the heat and a drop or two gets forced out the nozzle.
Well again thanks.
I might of eventually figured it out, but it was driving me crazy.

Little bit disappointed as I think it should be possible for Honda to design a nozzle that both works...but doesn't drip.

Plus I don't know what windshield wiper fluid comes from the factory, or even if it's just water...but whatever it is, is making a very visible drip.

I'm wondering if changing to a higher quality windshield wiper fluid might help.

But since I was thinking it might be some adhesive or chemical used in the window installation, I'm glad to know it's as simple as the windshield fluid nozzle dripping.

I'll find a way to live with that.

Old 09-30-2016, 03:21 PM
5 Year Member
Most commercial windshield washer fluid is water and isopropyl alcohol, with some blue dye added IIRC. The water and alcohol evaporate, but I find the blue dye leaves a residue behind. Go figure.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:23 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
Your car has the drips. You may want to give it some antibiotics or something