3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Engine Oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 08:38 AM
5 Year Member
In my opinion...

Originally Posted by n9cv
While synthetic oils have a few minor benefits like maximum operation temperature and slower viscosity breakdown
With todays engines, and what are typically longer change intervals, I don't classify those two things as "minor" benefits.

There's a reason most new vehicles recommend a synthetic or synthetic blend oil.
Providing a slower viscosity breakdown and being able to withstand higher operating temperatures are both pretty good reasons to choose a synthetic.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
20 bucks for regular, or synthetic?

I do it myself for the following reasons:

- I know it is being done, and right. I know what oil I use, and that the filter actually got changed. And that I let the oil drain way out, instead of draining most of it and then putting the drain bolt back in and moving onto the next car.

- It's a tiny bit less expensive to do it myself, though not by much.

- It's a ton faster to do it myself than to drive 20 minutes to the dealership, wait for them to do it, then drive home. At home it's maybe a half-hour start to finish, and some of that time, waiting for the oil to drain, I can go back inside the house and do something else.

- If I do it myself I don't get into my car when it's done, start the car,and get blasted by loud music because they changed the radio station and turned the volume up to 11. (yeah, this has happened a lot)
+ 100. There's just too many incompetent people out there and you're sure to run into one sooner or later. Besides, I'd rather take a beating than sit in one of those waiting rooms.

Old 11-11-2017, 09:12 AM
5 Year Member
Changing you own oil, and being able to ensure your own standards of competency...IS I THINK GREAT.
But when people blanket...you should change your own oil, sometimes I don't think it's looking at the big picture.
Not everyone can.

I'd love to be able to change my own oil and filter. But there are several factors that make it problematic.
I live in an apartment complex...no real room or place to comfortably execute the operation.
Plus probably more honestly?
I'm not in good enough physical shape to really approach the whole project.
Even if I could get The Fit on ramps and buy all the tools I would need.

So I concede that changing your own oil and filter if you can, IS the best way to ensure it get's done to any ones own personal standards. People should realize it's not a realistic answer for everyone, for various reasons.

I don't particularly like having to pay and rely on a dealership or service department to do my oil change. I've struggled with having it done right (Overfilled Routinely).
But for some of us? There isn't really much choice.

Old 11-11-2017, 09:22 AM
5 Year Member
I do change my own oil, primarily to ensure it is done right. I am wary of the speedy but shoddy service of dealerships, who may not pay much attention to the proper removal and installation of the lower splash shield.

If I did not have the space and tools I would look for an independent garage, where you could walk in and help out and observe the oil change. it will be slower for you and may cost a tad more, but you could ensure they use the proper oil, completely drain the oil, and reinstall the splash shield properly.

Old 11-11-2017, 11:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
I'd love to be able to change my own oil and filter. But . . .
Sometimes I believe the people who pay others to perform work are wiser than those who to do the work themselves. In any case, I admire them.

I have a large vegetable garden, will do any home improvement and will perform car service up to a point. All this takes time. I was raised by people that believed you should be as self-reliant as possible. Maybe it's genius to be a jack-of-all-trades, maybe it's a curse . I'm not sure.

Old 11-11-2017, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Press Fit
Sometimes I believe the people who pay others to perform work are wiser than those who to do the work themselves. In any case, I admire them.

I have a large vegetable garden, will do any home improvement and will perform car service up to a point. All this takes time. I was raised by people that believed you should be as self-reliant as possible. Maybe it's genius to be a jack-of-all-trades, maybe it's a curse . I'm not sure.
Don't get me wrong.
Again, I think changing your own Oil and Filter is best.

I just don't like it when those that do? Sometimes promote it as THE ONLY ACCEPTABLE ACTION, with no recognition that there are some people, that for various reasons, changing their own Oil and Filter is just not feasible.

If I had the tools, space, and honestly....were in a little better physical shape, I'd be changing my own oil and filter.

All these factors in combination make my changing my own Oil and Filter a pretty much..."Ain't Gonna Happen" scenario.
But I in no way, think I'm "wiser" for having to rely and pay others to do the service.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:41 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
for me, scheduling to bring the car in and waiting is more a task vs just doing it at home when i have some spare time. plus the problems ive encountered with various dealer oil changes (missing shroud screws, overfilled motor oil, stupid high torqued plug and filter, etc) just discouraged me from taking my cars in.

unless it's like a package service where i have warranty repair and maybe the brakes done or something on the GK, i wouldnt want to take my car in just for oil change.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by justanewbie
Hey Guys,

So my 16 GK since feb is on the 2nd oil change, i've been buying 0w-20 from honda dealership, they are cheaper than the mobile 1 0w20.

I was thinking about going from synthetic to conventional oil due to cost. I read the manual, it says 0w20, i was wondering what number would i need to be looking for conventional oil?

Also, side opinion, what oils have you fit freaks been using for the GK? Like brand, synthetic or conventional or blend? or what brands?

Cheers

Full synthetic. Don't be a cheap ass. Why risk engine damage for 20.00?

Old 11-14-2017, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member
I’ve never “timed” an oil change, but I figure about an hour. I have to raise the car on ramps, as my head won’t fit under the front “lip” (air dam?).

For oil, I run Honda 0-20W synthetic with Honda filters. Why not? They’re competitively priced, and if there’s an issue, Honda can’t blame the oil.

Last edited by Uncle Gary; 11-14-2017 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:40 PM
5 Year Member
It sounds a little like hocus pocus to me, but I'll keep buying it. Here's what Mobil says the difference is between synthetic and regular oil:

"Synthetic oil is not only refined but also distilled, purified and broken down into its basic molecules. This process not only removes more impurities from the crude oil but also enables individual molecules in the oil to be tailored to the demands of modern engines. These customized molecules provide higher levels of protection and performance than conventional oils. But the synthetic base oil is only half the story. The correct blend additives must go into the mix to create the oil."

Old 11-26-2017, 03:38 PM
Talking

only stuff i use. sorry for the nissan filter in the pic lol