3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Rock Chips

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 10:58 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mizike
How difficult was it to install? Thinking of the DIY route using Lamin-X (Suntek) on our Fit.
there is a learning curve and requires patience. but if you're not super picky any novice can do an effective install to protect paint.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:29 AM
Originally Posted by kenchan
there is a learning curve and requires patience. but if you're not super picky any novice can do an effective install to protect paint.
My wife would be super picky lol. Think we might try it DIY .... thanks.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:16 PM
5 Year Member
My wife would be super picky lol. Think we might try it DIY .... thanks.
good, she can help!

keep your fingers wet when you handle the adhesive side.
if u end up with bubbles dont touch it, dry it out in the sun.. eventually they will evaporate and go away. can take a few weeks.
if u try to force squeegee it, the film will wrinkle.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:28 PM
good, she can help!

keep your fingers wet when you handle the adhesive side.
if u end up with bubbles dont touch it, dry it out in the sun.. eventually they will evaporate and go away. can take a few weeks.
if u try to force squeegee it, the film will wrinkle.
Serious, if I did this alone, it would look real bad

Thanks for the tips...we experienced some of the things you mentioned when we filmed the trunk and door sills of our cars. Yup, squeeging too hard is no bueno

Where did you order the full hood?

Old 06-18-2017, 08:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Farrago
If I have posted this in the wrong section, please let me know or (Mods) move it.

The PDX area had a snow and ice event last week. Sure enough, I managed to get a few rock chips on the hood and front bumper today.

As Murphy's law would have it, this happened before I could take it in to get a clear bra. And, of course, the color is Crystal Black Pearl.

The paint pen never leaves a smooth spot after touch up.

Do I live with them? Aside from a respray, what other options do I have?
I use a penny nail to dabbed a bit of paint on the damage spot. It looks better than using sort of brush.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:06 AM
Another option is Dr. Color Chip. Seems to help with the lighter scratches but not the deep ones.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:21 PM
5 Year Member
Serious, if I did this alone, it would look real bad

Thanks for the tips...we experienced some of the things you mentioned when we filmed the trunk and door sills of our cars. Yup, squeeging too hard is no bueno

Where did you order the full hood?
i only do the front bumper installs and lower trims (lip, sills, etc). if you want to do the full hood it's best you got to an installer cause they have full sheet rolls... plus the bigger it is, the harder it is to install by yourself.

my tint guy also does clearbra and vinyl install. he does both custom installs and pre-cuts. perhaps you can find someone local.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:53 AM
i only do the front bumper installs and lower trims (lip, sills, etc). if you want to do the full hood it's best you got to an installer cause they have full sheet rolls... plus the bigger it is, the harder it is to install by yourself.

my tint guy also does clearbra and vinyl install. he does both custom installs and pre-cuts. perhaps you can find someone local.
Lol...I would have thought that the front fender would be the most difficult because of all the edges and curves, and the hood, while large, would be the easiest.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:57 AM
it can be fixed with touch up paint, if you tape the area off , Ive used clear scotch tape/packing tape and use a hole punch or exacto knife to access the small spots, touch them up and let dry, then very carefully wet sand it, lastly use some rubbing compound and buff it out, wax it and good to go.

Old 06-27-2017, 05:31 PM
5 Year Member

This is a Gen3 thread, but I'll risk asking about a paint repair on my Gen2 Sport. As the photo shows, the previous owner must have rubbed over a high curb and did the damage you see.

I'm not seeking a Concours d'Elegance fix, but something to make it less noticeable. What grit paper should I use? Is body filler needed? Is there a easy-to-get auto parts store spray color that's close to Milano Red? Thanks for any advice.

Old 06-27-2017, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by Alco RS-1

This is a Gen3 thread, but I'll risk asking about a paint repair on my Gen2 Sport. As the photo shows, the previous owner must have rubbed over a high curb and did the damage you see.

I'm not seeking a Concours d'Elegance fix, but something to make it less noticeable. What grit paper should I use? Is body filler needed? Is there a easy-to-get auto parts store spray color that's close to Milano Red? Thanks for any advice.
NAPA will mix any color and put it in a spray can ( 2 part mix ) for base/clear and for single stage as well.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member

yah, id sand using #400 then use spot bondo to fill, sand to smooth, mask the area to match the curved line of the bumper, prime, and paint just the bottom area using factory mixed paint. with clear coat and some minor polishing it should turn out pretty nice without having to paint the entire bumper.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:48 PM
5 Year Member
Okay, thanks for the guidance y'all. I see that the local auto parts store offers a small container of 3M Bondo for $10, so with sandpaper, primer and paint, the cost shouldn't be too much. The good news is that I can't make it any worse than it is now. :-)

Old 06-27-2017, 10:11 PM
Okay, thanks for the guidance y'all. I see that the local auto parts store offers a small container of 3M Bondo for $10, so with sandpaper, primer and paint, the cost shouldn't be too much. The good news is that I can't make it any worse than it is now. :-)
Just take your time and it will look good when finished.