3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Paint chipping issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 03:37 PM
Paint chipping issues

Bought my blue LX back in late August. This is a daily driver but I do not do very much interstate driving on it. I have noticed quite a few small chips (look like rock chips) on the front of the hood already. Anyone notice their cars paint chipping easier than it should?

Furthermore, anyone have any good ideas or recommendations for touching these chips up. I know they are something that are inevitable on a car but it's painful already seeing multiple ones on a car that is barely two months old.

Old 10-02-2014, 03:38 PM
don't tail gate you won't get as much rock chips
just use regular touch up paint.
or dr color chip.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by kenji815
don't tail gate you won't get as much rock chips
just use regular touch up paint.
or dr color chip.
I don't think tail gating is the only known cause. My first two weeks with the car, I've had paint chips on the hood after just driving on an empty highway.

It seems they only put a thin coat of paint on our Fits. No triple coat or chassis paint dippings. You can see how thin the paint really is if you look at the paint near the spare tire. Oh, and my vacuum cleaners' nozzle actually scratched my door sill. Not to mention I had a cardboard (the stuff from toilet paper rolls) roll down my hood once and leave a scratch. >_<

Old 10-02-2014, 05:21 PM
I just noticed a round pea sized section on my back bumper (red) where the paint is missing down to the metal. I barely drive my car and I have no idea how this would have happened. Its on the top part of the bumper. It honestly looks like the paint bubbled and popped and there is a circle of missing paint..makes me nervous about long term wear and tear..I also bought mine in August.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:13 AM
5 Year Member
The paint does seem to be insanely thin. I knocked a few small chips out on the passenger side just by walking too close to the car while carrying a few small tools and just barely nicking it as I walked by. It left a few gouges all the way to bare metal. I didn't even hit that hard.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:17 AM
5 Year Member
Picked up our new PBP EX CVT yesterday and took it to Ziebart. Got the hood, grill, bumper, headlights, outside rear view mirrors, and the front fender tips covered in paint protection film. Wish I'd have thought to have them put it on the top of the rear bumper. I think I might go back and do that. Also got the Diamond Gloss paint protection all over. Went there to get the ceramic window tint in 70%/20% (Ohio is 50% front) but after reading these threads and seeing some of the pictures posted here, I jumped on the paint protection. It's really gorgeous!

Check out Dr. Colorchip for repair.

Last edited by Fitmo; 10-03-2014 at 09:39 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:35 AM
5 Year Member
What, no response from Jonathan of Honda?

I guess the last thing he would want to do is fuel a dialogue regarding one of the '15 Fit's major flaws, it's paint quality. Water based formulation or not, there is no excuse for some of the paint flaws owners are posting images of on this forum.

I live within two miles of a local Honda dealer in Baltimore, and have seen the paint anamolies in person. I've looked closely at about 15 units, and only about half show reasonable enough quality to purchase. Hopefully Honda addresses the paint issues. Even from a new factory, there is no excuse for what I (a non-owner) and quite a few owners are seeing on these cars.

I'd like to buy a six speed at some point, but not unless there is clear indication of improvement in build and paint quality.

YMMV.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:50 PM
5 Year Member
Beginning to sound like I should've gotten the rocker panels/lower doors covered as well.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:28 PM
Sounds about right.. Just notice my rear passenger door has one.. Really annoying.. My first car buying experience has not been great.

Old 10-03-2014, 02:11 PM
Hello everyone,

I would like to apologize if people are having an issue with their paint on their vehicles. We would highly suggest bringing in their vehicle to a local Honda dealership to address their paint concerns. They would be able to determine if a manufacturer's defect is present with the paint. Any defects will be corrected back to its original specification.

However, if there is paint damage due to an outside influence, more than likely that would be something not considered to be a warrantable concern. An example would be a rock or object on the freeway hitting the windshield and cracking it.

Thank you,

Jonathan

Old 10-03-2014, 03:30 PM
Thumbs down

I am taking my car into the dealership on Tues to replace the front bumper beam, and I mentioned the missing paint to the service provider. Its in an area that rocks or road debris wouldn't hit and I haven't even put anything in my trunk so there is no way I could have rubbed it off, its just a bubble that is missing. The paint is super super thin, similar to a coat of nail polish..I actually have nail polish that is more durable. I really don't like the fact that I would have to basically coat my car in protective film or paint protection for hundreds of dollars after spending thousands as it is.

Old 10-03-2014, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by misscaleah
I am taking my car into the dealership on Tues to replace the front bumper beam, and I mentioned the missing paint to the service provider. Its in an area that rocks or road debris wouldn't hit and I haven't even put anything in my trunk so there is no way I could have rubbed it off, its just a bubble that is missing. The paint is super super thin, similar to a coat of nail polish..I actually have nail polish that is more durable. I really don't like the fact that I would have to basically coat my car in protective film or paint protection for hundreds of dollars after spending thousands as it is.
Hello misscaleah,

We would like to review the situation with you since you will be bringing the vehicle into the dealership for a diagnosis regarding the paint blemish. The dealership will be able to determine the cause of the issue and take the appropriate action if necessary. Please message us with your VIN, mileage and dealer so we can better assist you.

Thank you,

Jonathan

Old 10-03-2014, 04:07 PM
Thumbs down

Honestly I think Honda should do a recall and re-paint all affected cars at no cost. My mom had a Chevy several years ago that had paint washing and rubbing off of it because it was water-based, and Chevy did a recall and re-painted all of the cars with a higher quality paint at no cost. Frankly I really don't want to keep going back and forth to my dealership to have nicks and chips and missing paint touched up, or to have to justify wether it was caused by normal road driving or not....and I just don't have the money to clear coat the whole car in order to not worry about it. I traded a 2010 mini cooper for this car and it had excellent paint quality ..not a single chip in over 4 years of owning it and driving on the freeway. I have owned this car less than 2 months and its missing paint! I am not ok with that.

Old 10-03-2014, 06:11 PM
Post up pictures . take it to dealer let's documents everyone paint issues.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:17 PM
5 Year Member
Thank goodness mine has a terrific finish.

Old 10-04-2014, 02:20 AM
Misscaleah,

Have them do a paint thickness inspection. If they don't have it a high end detailer or body shop should.

Old 10-04-2014, 12:43 PM
Fits have had paint chip problems for years. One trip to LA last month and I had 5 new chips...and the highway was nearly empty, and I do not tail gate. I have gotten fairly good with the touch up paint bottle.

Old 10-04-2014, 12:46 PM
5 Year Member
Just view the related threads below. The earliest is 06/08/2007. We had a Milano Red 2008 Honda Fit (Base), but the only paint problem we had over the years was fading, and did not notice it until we cleaned the car up to sell.

Old 10-04-2014, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by Vanguard
Just view the related threads below. The earliest is 06/08/2007. We had a Milano Red 2008 Honda Fit (Base), but the only paint problem we had over the years was fading, and did not notice it until we cleaned the car up to sell.
Maybe it is the color. I have had 3 Fits. One Milano red...no paint problems, and two silver ones. The first, Storm Silver, with huge paint chip issues, and the new one, Alabaster, with chips starting already. First happened in 1 week.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Stingray
Maybe it is the color. I have had 3 Fits. One Milano red...no paint problems, and two silver ones. The first, Storm Silver, with huge paint chip issues, and the new one, Alabaster, with chips starting already. First happened in 1 week.
I love the silver color for hiding dirt. My Wife has a Mazda CX-5 in silver, and I swear she has to remind me to wash the thing. My daughters Fit, in Passion Berry Pearl, is very reflective and shows dirt right away. I'm thinking the yellow would hide dirt, but don't know for sure.

Quick Reply: Paint chipping issues