3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Can't Say I wasn't warned but this entertainment system GRRRR

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 02:30 PM
Can't Say I wasn't warned but this entertainment system GRRRR

As I did my research on the Fit, most professional reviews were pretty similar: Tons of Space, Magic Seat Rocks, Great gas mileage, pretty good implementation of CVT, paddle shifters are fun....and the infotainment/entertainment/stereo system is....and here the responses ranged from non-intuitive to a royal PIA!

And I have to say thats pretty much my review of the car initially. I love the car...except the 7 inch touchscreen piece of garbage in the middle of it.

It seems to pair with my phone just fine but at the same time I want to use a USB audio stick and its a nightmare- it seems to skip over some folders when scrolling right and left on the folder touch buttons. And worse...much worse...when a folder contains songs that are numbered and not numbered, it only plays the numbered ones....even though when I look at the attributes on the non-numbered ones, there is a number in the attribute field “#”. I have no idea of a work around for this.

No, I don’t want to play my audio through bluetooth. I no longer have any audio Cds,. I wouldn’t rip one, I would just put 100 mp3s on a cd, and if i tried to include folders I think I would run into the same issues.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:47 PM
5 Year Member
The sound system goes wonky if you have a USB with too much capacity or too many folders. I don't remember the limits offhand but there are several threads on this board that discuss this. Also, it doesn't like long file names. I had problems early on with some file names but once I shortened them it's been great.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tomrob62
As I did my research on the Fit, most professional reviews were pretty similar: Tons of Space, Magic Seat Rocks, Great gas mileage, pretty good implementation of CVT, paddle shifters are fun....and the infotainment/entertainment/stereo system is....and here the responses ranged from non-intuitive to a royal PIA!

And I have to say thats pretty much my review of the car initially. I love the car...except the 7 inch touchscreen piece of garbage in the middle of it.

It seems to pair with my phone just fine but at the same time I want to use a USB audio stick and its a nightmare- it seems to skip over some folders when scrolling right and left on the folder touch buttons. And worse...much worse...when a folder contains songs that are numbered and not numbered, it only plays the numbered ones....even though when I look at the attributes on the non-numbered ones, there is a number in the attribute field “#”. I have no idea of a work around for this.

No, I don’t want to play my audio through bluetooth. I no longer have any audio Cds,. I wouldn’t rip one, I would just put 100 mp3s on a cd, and if i tried to include folders I think I would run into the same issues.
If you read the owners manual, you would have realized that not USB device is fully compatible with the audio system. Should have bought a iPod. I downloaded about 380 classical pieces from my CDs. My gen 3 is 100% compatible, including long names, albums, sorted by artists, CDs (folders) and genre. You should also have known that the touch screen on the EX model $ucks. Sorry about that. Another reason why I bought the LX.

Last edited by wasserball; 01-05-2017 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:26 PM
5 Year Member
I bought the EX because the piddly little, low resolution screen on the LX sucks and makes the backup camera totally useless.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:26 PM
Except for a couple of long file names I've had no problems with 300+ albums, in folders, on a thumb drive. I also have a CD with about fifty albums on it as MP3 files (one per song). Seems to work exactly the same in my 2016 EX as in my 2010 Sport.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:14 AM
5 Year Member
I use Pandora, Google Music or other streaming services for music. I don't want to be fiddling with the radio while driving. I can skip songs, change the volume or source all without taking my hands off the wheel.

If using Pandora, you can use the touch screen to interface.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:23 AM
5 Year Member
I'd read about the touch screen frustrations some folks have.....My sausage fingers and touch screens do not get along well, am perfectly happy with my 6 spd manual and no touch screen......and the backup camera display is plenty adequate on the LX smaller screen. I typically only use it to peek behind me to the sides when backing out of a parking place (usually between 2 behemoth vehicles) to see any oncoming vehicles/pedestrians, but swivel my head once I get to start actually fully backing out...I dread the day in the future when everything is touch screen and cars drive themselves....bah

Old 01-06-2017, 09:58 AM
I've had no problems with the audio, but it's fun to read about yours.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fuelish
I'd read about the touch screen frustrations some folks have.....My sausage fingers and touch screens do not get along well, am perfectly happy with my 6 spd manual and no touch screen......and the backup camera display is plenty adequate on the LX smaller screen. I typically only use it to peek behind me to the sides when backing out of a parking place (usually between 2 behemoth vehicles) to see any oncoming vehicles/pedestrians, but swivel my head once I get to start actually fully backing out...I dread the day in the future when everything is touch screen and cars drive themselves....bah
I too am glad I went with the manual Lx small screen. Heard way too many horror stories about the lazy EX touch screen that Honda refuses to acknowledge.

Don't really use the back up camera anyways except to check for small kiddos directly behind the car. Figure haven't needed it in the last 20 years, why start now.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Westie
....Figure haven't needed it in the last 20 years, why start now.
Same here, but more like 43 years

Old 01-06-2017, 01:23 PM
5 Year Member
I'm surprised people use the radio controls on the head unit so much. On my EX I can skip songs, change volume and change sources from the steering controls. The screen pretty much is stuck to the Info screen showing the MPG info. I don't even remember the last time I used the volume scroll bar thing on the touch screen. Maybe when I first got the car and wanted to see what the big deal was?

Old 01-06-2017, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by bach
The sound system goes wonky if you have a USB with too much capacity or too many folders. I don't remember the limits offhand but there are several threads on this board that discuss this. Also, it doesn't like long file names. I had problems early on with some file names but once I shortened them it's been great.
I do always try to search before posting...i tried using "stereo", "infotainment", "entertainment"

Old 01-06-2017, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by Fit_as_a_butchers_dog
I've had no problems with the audio, but it's fun to read about yours.
Glad i could bring some levity to your day. Would you like me to message you if I stub my toe?

Old 01-06-2017, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by bach
i did another search for "long file names" and a few threads came up....thanks

Old 01-06-2017, 02:21 PM
I too am glad I went with the manual Lx small screen. Heard way too many horror stories about the lazy EX touch screen that Honda refuses to acknowledge.

Don't really use the back up camera anyways except to check for small kiddos directly behind the car. Figure haven't needed it in the last 20 years, why start now.
Is it possible to swap a LX screen into a EX?

Last edited by teamcheap; 01-06-2017 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member

I can't agree with you more. I am so used to carefully looking all around when I back up that I would be scared to rely on the camera. I must have done something right, no accidents, and no running over little kids. BTW, changing the subject, do you know how to program the backup camera to view directly behind the bumper. I can scroll through the 3 viewing options, but the system does not allow me to set the view directly behind the bumper when I am in reverse. When I am not in reverse, the only option I can change is include or exclude the guide lines.

Last edited by wasserball; 01-06-2017 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:06 PM
When using the USB as the source of media, I've found that it doesn't always play all subfolders when they're in folders.

So for some subfolders, I've had to put them in the root menu. This seems to work for me, for several thousand songs, and all songs get played.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:34 PM
Glad i could bring some levity to your day. Would you like me to message you if I stub my toe?

Old 01-06-2017, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
Haven't had any issues with the EX HU yet, Although, I do use Bluetooth almost exclusively. I'll have to try out the USB feature and see how it does. Can't complain about it much since this is the first time I've owned a car with any kind of infotainment system on it.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:59 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
its not da car, its u. dis is year 2017. get an iPhone play through BT, use voice recognition, say good bye to searching via your fingers.. like a card catalog at a library.. haha