3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

How to install/mount rear dashcam?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 09:28 PM
5 Year Member
How to install/mount rear dashcam?

Just got a 2016 Fit to replace my 2007 Civic. Successfully hardwired front dashcam using a fuse tap and the fuse for the rear wiper (only hot when ignition is on).

Now I want to install a rear dashcam. In the Civic, I just used a USB splitter and ran both dashcams from the same power supply. I ran the cable to the rear along the headliner and trim and the dashcam was mounted on the rear glass with a suction cup mount.

Since the Fit is a hatchback, how would I go about installing a rear dashcam? Do I run the cable from the front again, or is there anywhere else to get power? Can I still suction-mount the camera on the rear glass without it being impacted by opening and closing the hatch?

Old 03-26-2017, 10:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ctyt
Just got a 2016 Fit to replace my 2007 Civic. Successfully hardwired front dashcam using a fuse tap and the fuse for the rear wiper (only hot when ignition is on).

Now I want to install a rear dashcam. In the Civic, I just used a USB splitter and ran both dashcams from the same power supply. I ran the cable to the rear along the headliner and trim and the dashcam was mounted on the rear glass with a suction cup mount.

Since the Fit is a hatchback, how would I go about installing a rear dashcam? Do I run the cable from the front again, or is there anywhere else to get power? Can I still suction-mount the camera on the rear glass without it being impacted by opening and closing the hatch?
I briefly had a dash cam that had a rear camera attachment to it. I was able to route the rear camera across the passenger side near the headliner all the way to the hatch. Then I was able to have it exit out of where the middle seatbelt is held in the ceiling, then I mounted the camera on the plastic cover.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
I briefly had a dash cam that had a rear camera attachment to it. I was able to route the rear camera across the passenger side near the headliner all the way to the hatch. Then I was able to have it exit out of where the middle seatbelt is held in the ceiling, then I mounted the camera on the plastic cover.
What did you use to attach the cam? Double-sided tape?

Old 03-28-2017, 08:41 AM
I used 3M tape for the mounting. I had it on the rear glass, but it wouldn't stay with the defroster lines on it. Once it warmed up the tape would come unstuck. Good idea for the cam on the seat belt cover. I almost never have anyone in my back seat. I use the rear cam more so to watch my trailer in case something happens. I dont leave the camera up as it does interfere with my rearview mirror. If there was a cheap low profile camera i'd use it.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:46 AM
5 Year Member
Yes I used 3m tape. I want to correct myself, it wasn't the seat belt cover I used, it was the anchor system for car seats cover plate to mount the camera.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:52 AM
5 Year Member
What are the benefits of having a dash cam?

Old 03-29-2017, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by Press Fit
What are the benefits of having a dash cam?
Exhibit A

Old 03-29-2017, 10:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985
Exhibit A
Are the police and insurance companies willing to use driver's dashcam videos?

Can they subpoena your video if you are responsible for an accident?

Old 03-29-2017, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by Press Fit
Are the police and insurance companies willing to use driver's dashcam videos?

Can they subpoena your video if you are responsible for an accident?
According to my car insurance agent at Allstate, she said that having the video will only help my case yes. Police not sure what their stance on it is.

My buddy has a helmet cam for his motorcycle, some dickbag tried following a truck to beat a traffic light and he had to throw his bike into the car at 40MPH. Cop took one look at the video and was not given a ticket/citation, the idiot in the tailgating car did. He got away with bruises and scrapes, no broken bones, glad to be alive at that speed too.

Video evidence is compelling in my eyes. Well worth having.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by ctyt

Try installling it like this :

Name:  20160522_114917.jpg
Views: 5113
Size:  116.6 KB

Old 05-06-2017, 11:05 AM
More info : I used the original suction cup holder that came with the camera, but drilled 4 holes into the plastic cup instead. Then I used two zip ties / cable ties to fasten the suction cup to one of the roof anchor points (after flipping down the cover of course, which is what you see hanging down).

Have been using it this way for a few months already, very secure and no problem so far.

I'm assuming all Fit/Jazz have the same two anchor points on the roof near the tailgate.... cos I'm from Singapore and mine is a Jazz made in Japan, RHD.

Last edited by Bigtoothpick; 05-06-2017 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member
Seems like that would be distracting in the rear view