3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Smaller offset ok on steel wheels ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 10:02 PM
5 Year Member
Question Smaller offset ok on steel wheels ??

Greetings,

I have a lead on a set of steel 15" wheels for my 2015 EX (16" stock) that I would like to mount snow tires. The recommended offset I see in google searches is +45-51 mm. These wheels have a +41 mm offset.

The tires I plan to use have a very close diameter to the tires on my 16" alloys - 0.3 inches greater diameter. Any gotchas with this set of wheels?

Thanks,
John

Old 05-06-2017, 10:12 PM
5 Year Member
Additional info. The wheel width is 6 inches. Here's a link to a vendor with the same model number the seller gave me. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/crr-83-5641

Old 05-06-2017, 11:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jaevans
Greetings,

I have a lead on a set of steel 15" wheels for my 2015 EX (16" stock) that I would like to mount snow tires. The recommended offset I see in google searches is +45-51 mm. These wheels have a +41 mm offset.

The tires I plan to use have a very close diameter to the tires on my 16" alloys - 0.3 inches greater diameter. Any gotchas with this set of wheels?

Thanks,
John
Offset is the distance from the mounting face of the wheel to the center of the wheel or basically the amount that it's offset. Lower offset number will move the wheel towards the outside of the car assuming the wheel width is the same? If a wheel is wider the offset needs to get smaller to push the wheel away from the strut. You've listed offset, but forgot to list width which is an important part of the equation.

I believe the EX has a 6.5" wide rim and an offset of 45mm?

For sake of discussion the steel wheel is 6" wide and has a 41mm offset than you will be moving inside of the wheel approximately 10mm away from the strut and the outside will be approximately 2.5mm more inward since the wheel is 1/2" narrower.

For sake of discussion the steel wheel is also 6.5" wide and has a 41mm offset than you will move the inner side of the wheel 4mm away from the strut and 4mm towards the outside of the car.

For sake of discussion the steel wheel is 7" side and has a 41mm offset than you will be moving the inner side of the wheel 2.5mm away from the strut and the wheel will will poke out 10mm further towards the outside of the car.

To further illustrate if the wheel is 8" wide than the wheel will be 15mm closer the the strut with a 41mm offset and stick out almost an 1" further than before.

So basically offset means nothing nothing without knowing the wheel width.

My guess is that you'll be fine if my google search of the OEM wheel is correct and you install anywhere from 5.5" - 7" wide wheel? My guess is the steel wheel is 6" wide?

If unsure consult a wheel professional or buy the wheels from Tire Rack or Discount Tire Direct to ensure proper fitment.

Sorry, just noticed the second post you listed the width as 6"?

Last edited by Rob H; 05-07-2017 at 12:00 AM.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rob H
Offset is the distance from the mounting face of the wheel to the center of the wheel or basically the amount that it's offset. Lower offset number will move the wheel towards the outside of the car assuming the wheel width is the same? If a wheel is wider the offset needs to get smaller to push the wheel away from the strut. You've listed offset, but forgot to list width which is an important part of the equation.

I believe the EX has a 6.5" wide rim and an offset of 45mm?

For sake of discussion the steel wheel is 6" wide and has a 41mm offset than you will be moving inside of the wheel approximately 10mm away from the strut and the outside will be approximately 2.5mm more inward since the wheel is 1/2" narrower.
Yep, 6 inch wide wheel so I am good with the wheels mentioned, although I believe that the wheels on my 2015 EX are also 6 inches wide - they look like the standard alloy wheels that come from the factory, though the tires are 195/50R16 Hancook Optimos. Thanks for the feedback - it clarifies things a lot better than most of the pictures I find on the web.

Last edited by jaevans; 05-07-2017 at 09:02 AM.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:18 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
also make sure the PCD is 4x100 and use proper lugs for them. either ball type or tapered. GL

Old 05-08-2017, 07:01 PM
5 Year Member
jaevans... forget those Unique Branded wheels. They are designed for mutiple application fitment and not specific to the Fit. I personally wouldn't buy, mount, use a wheel without a bore diameter of 56.1 mm. That Unique wheel is 72 mm. I know, a lot of people use non specific wheels on their cars and use hub rings, but in my experience, it's hard to get them just right. Spend the extra few bucks and get some steelies that have a bore of 56.1 mm, you'll be glad you did.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member
Rooster, I have time until next winter so I will consider your advice and keep looking for something more appropriate to come along.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rooster
jaevans... forget those Unique Branded wheels. They are designed for mutiple application fitment and not specific to the Fit. I personally wouldn't buy, mount, use a wheel without a bore diameter of 56.1 mm. That Unique wheel is 72 mm. I know, a lot of people use non specific wheels on their cars and use hub rings, but in my experience, it's hard to get them just right. Spend the extra few bucks and get some steelies that have a bore of 56.1 mm, you'll be glad you did.
i don't believe they make hub centering rings for steel wheels. Regardless, it's a convenience. The wheel centers on the studs with in Honda's case the ball seat. Most other manufacturers or aftermarket aluminum use a 60 degree taper seat. Installing wheels without rings takes like maybe an extra two minutes per wheel? It's really not too hard to get right unless you don't have any mechanical skills?

Anyway I thought the OP was buying some used wheels from a Miata or something else? I actually have my snow tires mounted on those wheels

Old 05-09-2017, 06:13 AM
5 Year Member
Decisions, decisions. Come to think of it, I had to deal with the same issue with an 83 VW Rabbit I owned, but those were alloy wheels. Not hard to center.

Good to know. Thanks Rob H.

Last edited by jaevans; 05-09-2017 at 06:24 AM.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:21 PM
5 Year Member
End result - I bought the Unique steel wheels. I do not plan to use a hub ring on these but will carefully insure I have the wheel and lugs centered and seated properly.

I'll swing by a local DT today and have Blizzak WS80s installed and store them until late fall. Right now, DT has a $70 rebate on them if you use your Car Care credit card - I always pay those off fast and rarely use the card, but for a $70 rebate, I'll go for it.

Thanks for everyone's input in helping with my decision.

John