3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Plastic screws stuck

Old 05-11-2017, 11:52 AM
Plastic screws stuck

These two plastic screws for the under cover are stuck and ive pretty much destroyed the philips head by constantly trying to unscrew them.

Is there a specific technique to take these off??

Old 05-11-2017, 12:04 PM
5 Year Member
Use a flathead screwdriver and just pry it off. Have replacements on hand

Old 05-11-2017, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member
Buy a couple of replacement expansion plugs, before you destroy the existing ones.

Use a flat head screwdriver, wedge it under the head of the plastic screw and force the head up. Otherwise just use force and destroy the screw.

Old 05-11-2017, 06:47 PM
5 Year Member
Our CPO LX came with th4e undercover gone daddy gone.....and I so no need other than for a maybe slight increase in mpg.....and I' overjoyed with what I'm getting - don't do a lot of hwy driving other than vacations, so ...I don't miss what I never had

Old 05-11-2017, 07:05 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by puffysweater
These two plastic screws for the under cover are stuck and ive pretty much destroyed the philips head by constantly trying to unscrew them.

Is there a specific technique to take these off??
u have to go REAL easy on those tabs.

at this point you'll have to break them off I suppose. hold the screw head with a straight pick tool to prevent it from spinning and drill a small hole next to it. just drill through and pull out the screw portion.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
Just take something sharp. I use a raiser blade.. Use Phillips to turn screw.. turn with Phillips then pry open with raiser blade.. I've done 11 oil changes.. still factory fasteners...

Old 05-13-2017, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member
Problem is the screws are easily damaged during removal if the tech isn't careful, and even my local dealer doesn't stock them, let's alone Wally World. If one of them is damaged, and no replacements are available, what do you suppose they do? Right, they shove it back in and hope for the best.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:44 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
u have to go REAL easy on those tabs.

at this point you'll have to break them off I suppose. hold the screw head with a straight pick tool to prevent it from spinning and drill a small hole next to it. just drill through and pull out the screw portion.
I picked up a few at the dealer. They had to order them, they don't stock them. Now that seems strange and confirms why some people having their oil changed at the dealer end up with the shield coming off.
Part Number 91514-TG1 T01 .75 cents each

Attached Thumbnails Plastic screws stuck-91514-tg1-t01.jpg  
Old 05-14-2017, 11:37 AM
5 Year Member
I've heard so many horror stories about the under pan that I will ask the service dept to leave it OFF when I get my first oil change. Stories like the pan comes loose, rattles, and the worst can happen; dragging on the road. How embarrassing.

Last edited by wasserball; 05-14-2017 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:49 AM
5 Year Member
it's really not THAT bad... its the dealers and their express oil change folks screwing it up.

ive removed the GK's lower shroud 3x now for oil changes and washing the under carriage. no issue.

Old 05-14-2017, 03:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
it's really not THAT bad... its the dealers and their express oil change folks screwing it up.

ive removed the GK's lower shroud 3x now for oil changes and washing the under carriage. no issue.
This is why I prefer to do my own oil changes instead of trusting the job to some ham-fisted hammer jockey (my Father's term).

Old 05-14-2017, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
This is why I prefer to do my own oil changes instead of trusting the job to some ham-fisted hammer jockey (my Father's term).
Out of curiosity. Do you elevate the Fit with ramps or jack stands?

Old 05-14-2017, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wasserball
I use ramps and it's a piece of cake.

As others said, it's easy to remove and I've done it a few times for oil changes. Funny the only time a screw was left off was when the dealership did it because the first oil change was free. Of course I knew to double check after the work was done but only when I got home.

Old 05-14-2017, 07:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
I use ramps and it's a piece of cake.

As others said, it's easy to remove and I've done it a few times for oil changes. Funny the only time a screw was left off was when the dealership did it because the first oil change was free. Of course I knew to double check after the work was done but only when I got home.
My intention is to get my first oil change for free, ask them to leave the under cover OFF. Return all bolts and clips to me. Thereafter, I will put the front end on a Rhino ramp and change my own oil/filter. Shouldn't take longer than 10-15 minutes. BTW, I never warm up the oil when I change out the oil in my other cars. I never found that to be necessary.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:20 PM
5 Year Member
Yes I don't warm up the fit to change the oil, other than driving up the ramps. 0w-20 is pretty thin and flows easy.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:14 PM
I'm using "Race Ramps" which are made out of some sort of high tech foam. Works very well and good for 1500# each. I still have a concern about this material and always place the jack stands with just a little clearance as a back up.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:31 AM
5 Year Member
My intention is to get my first oil change for free, ask them to leave the under cover OFF. Return all bolts and clips to me. Thereafter, I will put the front end on a Rhino ramp and change my own oil/filter. Shouldn't take longer than 10-15 minutes. BTW, I never warm up the oil when I change out the oil in my other cars. I never found that to be necessary.
Lots of folks have had issues with higher mile fits AC clutches, without the under-tray the pump hangs at bumper level on my GD, ran mine for a while without the tray (It was trashed from PO.. and as soon as it rained the clutch would slip and squeal until it warmed up (Each time the defroster cycled and no it was not the belt... ). With the under tray it stays dry.. I bought a tray off amazon and it has a cut-out for filter access and the drain.

YMMV..

Old 05-16-2017, 07:36 AM
5 Year Member
in salt belt states, that shroud prevents undercarriage wash water to get to the components below that need to be rinsed of salt. you have to remove it to wash ur undercarriage properly.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:14 AM
5 Year Member
Homemade ramps made from three overlapping layers of 2X10" boards.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:24 AM
5 Year Member
Should not the thread title be 'Plastic Screws Suck" ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Plastic screws stuck