3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Rear View Mirror Height Tilt Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member
Rear View Mirror Height Tilt Adjustment

Greetings, I'm the proud owner of a new 2017 Honda Fit EX-L. My wife and I love the car, with a couple of minor niggles, and one of them is the following:

I can't adjust the rear view mirror tilt sufficiently to view the whole of the back window when I'm sitting fully upright in my seat. This is despite lowering the seat all the way to the floor (our other complaint is adjusting the seat between my wife and myself; she's 5'1", and it requires *19* handle pumps to switch between the seat heights we find comfortable). I'm 6'1", a little taller than average, but not NBA material.

I see plenty of people posting that, for example, they are 6'4 or 6'7, and the Fit works great for them due to the high roof line. I have to imagine that I could find some complaints about the rear view mirror if this was a common issue.

I'm wondering if I should go to the dealer and ask them to adjust the mirror placement or place a shim under the bottom edge.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have!

Cheers,
Nick

Old 06-01-2017, 04:56 PM
5 Year Member
You need two Fits to resolve the seat adjustment issue, otherwise you have to continuously "pump" 19 times when you change drivers. In regards to the mirror, the "day" position is when the mirror flipper is flipped to the rear. The "night" position to avoid glaring headlights is flipped towards the front windshield. Do you have the mirror in the "day", the default position?

Old 06-01-2017, 05:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wasserball
You need two Fits to resolve the seat adjustment issue, otherwise you have to continuously "pump" 19 times when you change drivers. In regards to the mirror, the "day" position is when the mirror flipper is flipped to the rear. The "night" position to avoid glaring headlights is flipped towards the front windshield. Do you have the mirror in the "day", the default position?
RE: the two Fits, of course, why didn't I think of that!

RE: the day night position setting, it's in the day position (flipped down). I'm very used to toggling this, as bright headlights behind me really bug me. I believe you have reversed the position on the switch in your description, though; day position is with the switch flipped down / toward the windshield, to view an image of the rear directly through through the rear hatch. Night position is flipped "up", or pulling the the switch toward the rear of the car, to view using the reflection off the rear headliner / ceiling instead of looking through the rear glass.

Cheers,
Nick

Old 06-01-2017, 05:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Nickscave
...I can't adjust the rear view mirror tilt sufficiently to view the whole of the back window when I'm sitting fully upright in my seat..
Maybe the mirror is stuck on the windshield at the wrong height, or something is wrong with the actual mirror. Since this is a safety issue you should go back to the dealership and get this corrected.

I have not had this issue with rear view visibility through the rear view mirror, and have not heard of anyone else with this issue on this forum.

You cannot sufficiently tilt the mirror up enough to see the whole rear window, which means you see too much of the rear seats, or you cannot sufficiently tile the mirror down enough to see the whole rear window, which means you see too much of the roof liner?

Old 06-01-2017, 05:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
Maybe the mirror is stuck on the windshield at the wrong height, or something is wrong with the actual mirror. Since this is a safety issue you should go back to the dealership and get this corrected.

You cannot sufficiently tilt the mirror up enough to see the whole rear window, which means you see too much of the rear seats, or you cannot sufficiently tile the mirror down enough to see the whole rear window, which means you see too much of the roof liner?
I've made an appointment with my dealer's service department to take the car in a week from Saturday to determine if there was a manufacturing defect or installation problem. I agree that it's a bit of a safety issue, and will reiterate that when I meet with the service advisor.

I can't adequately tilt the mirror up. So at maximum tilt, I cannot see the top third of the rear glass in the rear view mirror (I can see the lower 2/3rds). It does adjust, just not enough. I'm planning to hop in a floor model when I'm at the dealer and confirm that I can adjust the mirror properly in that; it'll be good ammo if the service department claims that the mirror is installed correctly.

Old 06-01-2017, 05:50 PM
5 Year Member
Measuring from the roof liner by rear view mirror is 6 3/8" down. The mirror is at the bottom of the dimpled design. You should measure yours.

Perhaps the mirror is upside down? Maybe try to turn it 180 degrees and see if this help? Then again the flipper lever would be on the top side of the mirror vs the bottom.

Old 06-01-2017, 06:27 PM
5 Year Member
RE: the two Fits, of course, why didn't I think of that!

RE: the day night position setting, it's in the day position (flipped down). I'm very used to toggling this, as bright headlights behind me really bug me. I believe you have reversed the position on the switch in your description, though; day position is with the switch flipped down / toward the windshield, to view an image of the rear directly through through the rear hatch. Night position is flipped "up", or pulling the the switch toward the rear of the car, to view using the reflection off the rear headliner / ceiling instead of looking through the rear glass.

Cheers,
Nick
Look at page 132 in the owner's manual. Flipping the mirror tab (up) towards you is daytime position. This may not help, but I just want to make clear the day and night positions. Flip the mirror towards you and readjust the mirror to see if that helps.

Attached Thumbnails Rear View Mirror Height Tilt Adjustment-mirror.jpg  

Last edited by wasserball; 06-01-2017 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member
Just in case it hasn't been mentioned, the mirror adjusts not just by maneuvering the mirror itself, but also the "stalk" that attaches it to the windshield (can be raised quite a bit from bottom position ....can't tell from original post if yer just tilting the mirror or adjusting the "stalk" as well ....it should work fine with some fine tuning, yer not THAT tall

Old 06-01-2017, 10:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fuelish
...the mirror adjusts not just by maneuvering the mirror itself, but also the "stalk" that attaches it to the windshield (can be raised quite a bit from bottom position...
I did not know this. I'll have to see this tomorrow.

Old 06-03-2017, 08:36 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
did you 2 not take a test drive before purchasing your car, op?

Old 06-03-2017, 12:22 PM
5 Year Member
Perhaps a thick, firm cushion available for the low sitting person?

Old 06-03-2017, 12:56 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
you mean like a bean bag ottoman? lol

Old 06-04-2017, 10:52 AM
5 Year Member
. . . requires *19* handle pumps to switch between the seat heights we find comfortable . . .
I am 10" taller than my wife. To simplify matters we leave the driver's seat in the most elevated position.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fuelish
Just in case it hasn't been mentioned, the mirror adjusts not just by maneuvering the mirror itself, but also the "stalk" that attaches it to the windshield (can be raised quite a bit from bottom position ....can't tell from original post if yer just tilting the mirror or adjusting the "stalk" as well ....it should work fine with some fine tuning, yer not THAT tall
Oh geez. I feel like a total idiot, but . Thanks so much!

In my defense, I tried to move this stalk previously and it didn't budge at all. From a quick glance I just assumed the stalk was molded in an angled shape, and didn't notice that it had a ball joint on the windshield mount side. After adjusting the stalk tilt, which required a TON of force (no joke, thought I was going to snap the mount off), I can now easily see out of the back window. The mirror side adjustment alone, now that the stalk angle is adjusted, works fine for both my wife and I.

And in other happy news, now that I don't have to lower the seat all the way to have a hope of using the mirror, just a few pumps/pulls of the height handle are necessary when my wife and I switch seats. Win win!

Really appreciate the thoughts and assistance from all.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:37 AM
5 Year Member
Really appreciate the thoughts and assistance from all.
Not a problem, glad that was all it took ....have had mine a year, and I do remember it being pretty tough to move at first....