3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Refreshed 2018 Fit Launches Next Month

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 09:31 AM
5 Year Member
The only sports package that is worth mentioning is the aftermarket coffee can exhaust. The flares and skirts on the car will not make it perform any better.

Last edited by wasserball; 06-13-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:46 AM
Cosmetic 'upgrades' aside, I can't really get behind all this new technology. I've already heard that the same Earth Dreams engine will still be available, and likely the same transmissions.

'Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC), Collision Mitigation Brake Braking System™ (CMBS™), Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS) incorporating Lane Departure Warning (LDW) and Road Departure Mitigation (RDM) incorporating Road Departure Warning (RDW)'

All these features are catering to the growing number of idiots on the road that don't know or care to drive properly. If people actually paid attention none of these 'features' would have been developed. The fact that they are to be 'standard' features on these higher trim levels means us as consumers we will be forced to pay the cost of having them, when we really don't need them if we drive correctly.

Bottom line, I'm not impressed by the refresh at all. If there was a turbo charged engine and a more appropriate 6 speed manual gear ratio made available, then the Fit will have a comparable trim to the Civic SI and I'd be more interested. I'll be watching out what the detail announcement will be next month, but ain't holding my breath!

Old 06-13-2017, 10:09 AM
5 Year Member
One of the comments on C&D points out that Honda Sensing is not offered with a stick, and that may mean the EX loses its manual.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985
Cosmetic 'upgrades' aside, I can't really get behind all this new technology. I've already heard that the same Earth Dreams engine will still be available, and likely the same transmissions.

'Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC), Collision Mitigation Brake Braking System™ (CMBS™), Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS) incorporating Lane Departure Warning (LDW) and Road Departure Mitigation (RDM) incorporating Road Departure Warning (RDW)'

All these features are catering to the growing number of idiots on the road that don't know or care to drive properly. If people actually paid attention none of these 'features' would have been developed. The fact that they are to be 'standard' features on these higher trim levels means us as consumers we will be forced to pay the cost of having them, when we really don't need them if we drive correctly.

Bottom line, I'm not impressed by the refresh at all. If there was a turbo charged engine and a more appropriate 6 speed manual gear ratio made available, then the Fit will have a comparable trim to the Civic SI and I'd be more interested. I'll be watching out what the detail announcement will be next month, but ain't holding my breath!
Still more words of wisdom from the DIY guru and musician.

All that alphabet soup of "safety" features means is the future of the true auto automobile is getting closer, but Honda isn't the only one. It is merely catching up with some of the competition. They leap frog each other.

Some of the stuff is fairly neat, but Professor Evil is out there waiting to hit Ctrl-L and all those self-driving cars will turn left at once with him cackling manically.

My 2015 Fit EX 6 speed won't be one of them. It is most probably the last car I'll buy (now 76).

Be alert. The world needs more Lerts.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:28 AM
sjd
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
Yeah, that. Hang up, stop texting and playing with the phone and concentrate on driving. Is that so hard?

Otherwise, it's pretty much what I expected from a refresh. New front and rear fascias, a new color or two. The "Sport" package was unexpected, but mostly cosmetic.

To those who were expected 20 more HP or revised manual gear ratios, I can only say that's not the way Honda works. Be thankful you can still get a manual transmission at all. You probably won't have that choice in the next generation.

They aren't training people to drive better any time soon and the majority of people would rather text than drive so they keep buying bigger vehicles to survive accidents instead of learning to drive properly. That's why trucks and crossovers are so popular. I agree it's not how it should be and I've started my 16-year old son autocrossing so he can learn car control and accident avoidance. At least the technology is optional for now on most of the trim levels.

My next car will be a Fit and I'm happy to see the Sport trim although in Canada we have the SE which is the model I wanted and I'm pretty sure the Sport will replace it. I was interested in the EX but 2016 was the last year in Canada for the EX manual. My wife and I only drive manual. I was waiting for the refresh and am really hoping for that Apple CarPlay is included in the refresh.

If you look at the actual market you'll see that there isn't one for a turbocharged Fit Si. If Honda released one then everyone would complain how expensive it was. Of course I already own a pair of Si's but my 2000 is being sold and the Fit is replacing it.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:47 AM
5 Year Member
I don't like those safety systems especially the ones that are actively preventing you from doing something. There are cases were the better alternative is to cross over the line to avoid another obstacle. I don't want to be fighting a system that thinks it knows best. Also during those times, I don't want something beeping at me when I'm trying to concentrate.

The refresh looks meh. Nothing that would make me consider getting a newer Fit than the one I own.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:11 AM
5 Year Member

You have an arguable point. But, people use to say similar things about anti-lock brakes and even airbags.
I remember some in the auto industry proclaiming airbags were an unnecessary expense if people just buckled up.

I disagree that none of these features would of been developed if people actually paid attention.

Technology usually doesn't stop or step back. The baseline is always changing, usually expanding.
In just the past 10-15 years, we've gone from back-up camera's being a novelty, luxury, to standard equipment.

And while I agree it increases cost, and from a driving "purist" standpoint the safety features aren't intrinsically necessary. It's hard to argue what I think is inevitably the future, and safer for everyone.

Cars that slow automatically, judge distance between cars, help us stay in our lanes, and even emergency brake for us...are just inevitable. And idiot or not behind the wheel, if any of those features save the live(s) of either the driver of the vehicle or other people? Hard to say it wasn't worth it.

I know if I'm the driver of the vehicle in the oncoming lane? I'm going to be glad if someone is roused to attentive consciousness by a lane keep assist.

Am I going to trade in my new 2016 to get these features. Probably not. But I think raising the available standards of safety equipment across the board, eventually helps save lives. And I can't be against that.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
You have an arguable point. But, people use to say similar things about anti-lock brakes and even airbags.
I remember some in the auto industry proclaiming airbags were an unnecessary expense if people just buckled up.

I disagree that none of these features would of been developed if people actually paid attention.

Technology usually doesn't stop or step back. The baseline is always changing, usually expanding.
In just the past 10-15 years, we've gone from back-up camera's being a novelty, luxury, to standard equipment.

And while I agree it increases cost, and from a driving "purist" standpoint the safety features aren't intrinsically necessary. It's hard to argue what I think is inevitably the future, and safer for everyone.

Cars that slow automatically, judge distance between cars, help us stay in our lanes, and even emergency brake for us...are just inevitable. And idiot or not behind the wheel, if any of those features save the live(s) of either the driver of the vehicle or other people? Hard to say it wasn't worth it.

I know if I'm the driver of the vehicle in the oncoming lane? I'm going to be glad if someone is roused to attentive consciousness by a lane keep assist.

Am I going to trade in my new 2016 to get these features. Probably not. But I think raising the available standards of safety equipment across the board, eventually helps save lives. And I can't be against that.
I think you made the same points before. Fortunately, they are only options, most can do without, to make incompetent drivers think they are safer with them. They will only make them more careless drivers. These ideas are very different from autonomous cars, which I am not opposed. It is bad enough with the appearance of the ECO button, which I will never use.

Last edited by wasserball; 06-13-2017 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:19 AM
5 Year Member
Speaking anecdotally and off the top of my head (and probably from my nether regions), I can't recall Honda ever adding many substantial upgrades to any models (Honda or Acura) unless the model was heavily panned/criticized, e.g., the Honda Civic mid model upgrade a few years ago.
This works to Honda's advantage. By the time a full model change comes along, the buying public is ready for substantial changes and upgrades.
There's usually a change to the bumper cover, easily achieved by a slight change to the plastic mold. Software changes? Easy. Thus by a sleight of hand, Honda looks like it has added some substance to the mid model change. Those of us who are detail oriented (or OCD and retentive, if you prefer) know better.
I am not excited by the 2018 model's features and am perfectly happy with the 2017 model that I bought.
For all of us hoping and wishing for engine, tranny, and suspension upgrades (and other features that fix the nagging shortcomings of the current model), the next model (2019 or 2020) is the one to watch.

Old 06-13-2017, 03:04 PM
5 Year Member
Because of the changes to the 2018 model it is extremely unlikely there will be any changes to 2019. This is the mid term update, typically mostly cosmetic, although the addition of Honda Sensing is a bit of a surprise. The next change will presumably be a complete redesign and that won't be until 2020 or perhaps more likely 2021, depending on how sales are going after this update.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by woof
While the addition of Honda Sensing is appreciated, I believe that's about a US$ 1,000 cost increase if you want it (optional on LX, mandatory on EX)
" '... the 2018 Honda Fit ups the ante with new styling and sophistication not typically found in the subcompact segment,' said Jeff Conrad, senior vice president of the American Honda Automobile Division. "

Some people use that term without really knowing what it means. If they "upped the ante", then yes, it will cost more to get into the game, as you suggest. I've been waiting to see what the 2018 would offer, and I may just try to buy a 2017 while I can.

Since I know how to drive, and don't use my phone when driving, I don't need the the car to drive itself for me, and I don't really want to pay a higher ante to get features I don't really care about.

Old 06-13-2017, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
Once the 2018 Fits actually start appearing (maybe a couple months+ ?) you're in a much better position to negotiate price on the remaining 2017s. Honda might even offer some kind of rebate late in the year to clear them.

Old 06-13-2017, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by woof
Because of the changes to the 2018 model it is extremely unlikely there will be any changes to 2019. This is the mid term update, typically mostly cosmetic, although the addition of Honda Sensing is a bit of a surprise. The next change will presumably be a complete redesign and that won't be until 2020 or perhaps more likely 2021, depending on how sales are going after this update.
If it comes out as a 2020 model, it might appear as early as autumn 2019!

You are right, though. It depends on sales and, perhaps, Honda's reluctance to cut into Civic sales or the HRV? I speak about the US only. I can't try to forecast how Honda's plans for the Fit -worldwide- will affect the next model's release date in the US.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:45 AM
Originally Posted by Old Man Yelling At Clouds
Safety features?! Pfff just put down your Samsangs and your E-phones, you children and pay attention to the road and the world around you! There were no car accidents before cellphones existed and this technology that will literally save lives is actually a bad thing, just like the seat belt and the airbag. Not dying on the road is a thing that I have earned by being a good driver. Also, give your grandmother a call, it wouldn't kill ya!

Give me a break guys. Advanced safety features are good and can save lives, period.

Last edited by Ashrik; 06-14-2017 at 09:02 AM.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:52 AM
I remember some in the auto industry proclaiming airbags were an unnecessary expense if people just buckled up.......

Originally Posted by Farrago
You are right, though. It depends on sales and, perhaps, Honda's reluctance to cut into Civic sales or the HRV? I speak about the US only. I can't try to forecast how Honda's plans for the Fit -worldwide- will affect the next model's release date in the US.
Both very good points. Cars are getting smarter, and with more technology, soon the cars will drive us if ya think about it. Ya know I thought about that too after clicking post that Honda may not want to cannibalize sales of the Civic with a Fit SI. Guess they deemed it too low an ROI to do one here in the states. I'd like to think that its the same reason why Subaru stopped making the hatchback WRX. Now if they were still making that bad ass car (turbo charged and utilitarian hatchback all in one) then I would trade my Honda Fit in without a 2nd thought.

Originally Posted by KentFinn
Still more words of wisdom from the DIY guru and musician.

TBH, I've never met a bass player who gave good advice! Something about bass players. Son- when I grow up, I want to be a bass player. Dad - Son, you cannot have it both ways!" :-)

Last edited by Bassguitarist1985; 06-14-2017 at 08:55 AM.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wasserball
they are only options, most can do without, to make incompetent drivers think they are safer with them. They will only make them more careless drivers.
I agree, that today, they are only options. (Often times today's options become tomorrows standard equipment).

I disagree with the contention that they are offered to make incompetent drivers "think" they are safer.

Many of those features, simply DO make driving safer.

I remember when Anti-Lock brakes transitioned into the mainstream.
Nearly the same opposition.
They were going to make vehicles more expensive.
Repair and maintenance was going to be more expensive.
If you knew how to drive...IE: Pump Your Brakes, you didn't need it.

But when the bullet hit the bone? They make vehicles and driving safer.

So do a lot of these new safety features.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:55 AM
5 Year Member
I'm not liking it.
I prefer the JDM/Thailand version of the RS Model.

Old 06-14-2017, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by orataro
I'm not liking it.
I prefer the JDM/Thailand version of the RS Model.
Yeah, I would say, while I'm for the addition of available safety sense.
The actual cosmetic changes?

Not impressed.

Seems kind counter that Honda removes plastic chrome garnish from the hatch, while adding chrome garnish to the front grill.

The rest of the styling changes barely move the needle, IMO.

I suppose you can either like the dark wheels or not, but if you like them? Well I think that's something most proponents would do themselves.

I LIKE the way The Fit looks. "As Is".
So I can't say I don't like the changes....because IMO they are so subtle as to not make much of a difference.

Plus could someone explain to me why Japanese Automakers seem to think North America and the USA want "Fry Sauce" colored vehicles?

If you are going to expand the color pallet? Really do it. Give me some real envelope pushing options.
Fry Sauce Orange...doesn't do it for me.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:31 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, I would say, while I'm for the addition of available safety sense.
The actual cosmetic changes?

Not impressed.

If you are going to expand the color pallet? Really do it. Give me some real envelope pushing options.
Fry Sauce Orange...doesn't do it for me.
Please, that's Orange Fury, not a color I'd choose. 3 of the 4 Hondas I've owned have been Milano Red. But Orange Fury is likely to be popular in Knoxville, Tennessee, the home of the University of Tennessee, the Big Orange (team colors the sports teams, orange and white with blue trim). Nicknames ... the Big Orange and the Tennessee Vols (Volunteers, dates back to War of 1812).

In 1814 , we took a little trip
Along with Col. Jackson
Down the mighty Missasip
To the town of New Orleans

That was a bunch of ragtag long hunters with shooting skills and an Irish spirits with a thirst for spirits and a good fight .. Tennesseans (not to disparage other groups. Am I a Tennessean?... Damn straight I am.

Last edited by KentFinn; 06-14-2017 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:26 PM
Adaptive cruise control is a very nice feature. Especially for those of us who like cruise control and do a lot of highway driving.

Quick Reply: Refreshed 2018 Fit Launches Next Month