3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

30,000 maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 05:45 PM
30,000 maintenance?

I am coming up on 30,000 miles on my 2015 Fit and I am wondering if I need to take my car to the dealer for this one? I have researched the topic a lot a there are many differing opinions. If I do take it in, what should I be looking for? I can change the air filters myself, but I definitely want to get any necessary fluids changed and things like that, do I need spark plugs? This is my first new car I want it to last as long as possible! Also I cannot find a maintenance schedule online anywhere. Just looking for opinions. Thanks.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:32 PM
5 Year Member
Your owner's manual explains what services need to be done and when. Most are shown by the "maintenance minder". Follow the instructions in the manual.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:33 PM
5 Year Member
All they will look at is fluid levels, lubricated points, check brakes (adj. if required), change oil+filter, change air filter, check cabin filter. The stealership always over charges unless they have coupon/monthly deals going. If you're one of those that only want the dealer to touch your car and have the money to cough up, do it. If not, i'd recommend taking it to a reputable mechanic to save money.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:39 AM
There's nothing magical about 30,000 miles that needs special service. I'd follow the owner's manual recommendations (which, as Uncle Gary said, are mostly just doing what the maintenance minder indicates).

I would suggest peeking at the tread depth of the tires if you have the factory original ones as they may well be getting worn. The simplest method is to look for the wear bars and see how much depth is above them; if they're even with the tread, it's definitely time for new tires.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:30 AM
5 Year Member
I don't like the the fact Honda decided to use the "maintenance minder" to let us know when the car needs to be serviced. The last thing I want the "minder" to pop up a glowing amber lamp when I am in the middle of a long trip around the country, which I intend to do with the perfect Fit. It would not only be annoying, but concerning. Honda, please provide an alternative. Let me know what needs to be done at a certain mileage on the ODO, thank you.

Old 06-23-2017, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wasserball
I don't like the the fact Honda decided to use the "maintenance minder" to let us know when the car needs to be serviced. The last thing I want the "minder" to pop up a glowing amber lamp when I am in the middle of a long trip around the country, which I intend to do with the perfect Fit. It would not only be annoying, but concerning. Honda, please provide an alternative. Let me know what needs to be done at a certain mileage on the ODO, thank you.
It's easy to see what service is going to come up next on the MM. You can see the percent oil life remaining (for me, it seems to drop 10% per 1,000 miles-yours may vary depending on how you drive). If you press and hold the button until the "life" display flashes, it will show you what service will come due next, and by the percent remaining, you can estimate when, so there's no reason to be surprised.

I like this system.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:13 PM
If you do bring it to the dealer note that a lot of dealers will try to sell you stuff you don't need. So don't be surprised to hear from a dealer that they've decided that your driving is rough on the car so you need new spark plugs (you don't), your transmission fluid changed (doubtful), new antifreeze (nope) etc.

Helps to be specific- "I want ONLY what's in the manual as required by Honda and if you do anything else I am NOT paying for it." And look at what you're signing!

Old 06-23-2017, 06:47 PM
You can get an idea of how it's coming along from the percent oil life display. For a cross-country trip with lots of highway driving, you'll generally get at least 1000 miles per 10% on the display.

The maintenance minder is far more accurate than a fixed mileage schedule could be because it can (and does) take into account the actual usage patterns of the car. 5000 miles in short trips of stop-and-go city traffic is far different from 5000 miles of cruising cross-country on an interstate.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
It's easy to see what service is going to come up next on the MM. You can see the percent oil life remaining (for me, it seems to drop 10% per 1,000 miles-yours may vary depending on how you drive). If you press and hold the button until the "life" display flashes, it will show you what service will come due next, and by the percent remaining, you can estimate when, so there's no reason to be surprised.

I like this system.
I will probably do the same since I am becoming more lazy as I get older. But, I left the undercover off since the last (first) oil change, so changing oil/filter should take about 15 minutes. I can reach the oil plug and filter without having to put the front end on an incline. My thought is that changing the oil is the most important maintenance I can do on the car, and the CVT fluid change.

Last edited by wasserball; 06-25-2017 at 08:39 AM.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:11 PM
5 Year Member
I change my transmission fluid pretty much every 30K miles, (Auto or manual) to me its the second most expensive part, but I do the change myself so the economics would be different than if someone has to use a shop..

Old 06-29-2017, 08:33 PM
5 Year Member
spark plugs on the GK are basically lifetime sparkplugs lol. Good for 100k miles. A good idea would be to remove the coil plugs and look inside to check for any oil/residue if blow-by becomes an issue.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:44 AM
5 Year Member
I will probably do the same since I am becoming more lazy as I get older. But, I left the undercover off since the last (first) oil change, so changing oil/filter should take about 15 minutes. I can reach the oil plug and filter without having to put the front end on an incline. My thought is that changing the oil is the most important maintenance I can do on the car, and the CVT fluid change.
Other than very minimal protection, does the engine splash guard have any real purpose? Considering keeping it off after next oil change. Has anyone else kept it off?
Agree that there isn't any true 30K Mike service anymore. Any dealer that tries to sell you that is just trying to make more money. Just stick with what maintenance minder recommends.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:49 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i believe it is there mostly for air deflection. some cars use that shroud for reinforcement for the front bumper.

as far as 30k my biggest inspection would be brake pad thickness meaning no big deal. everything else is standard oil and filter change and just visual inspection.

Old 07-01-2017, 05:59 PM
Three years:

Change brake fluid
Change coolant
Change CVT fluid