3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Back Seats Removed

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 09:53 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by knope
An early 2000s minivan wont cost much, will run like a tank, and has space for days.
I have a 2000 Dodge Caravan as my second vehicle, I could not bear to sell it after my family grew up. The two rear seats have been removed to maximize room for hauling anything imaginable. With the rear hatch closed, it can haul sheets of 4x8 plywood and 10' long lumber by utilizing the space between the two front seats. It is rated to carry up to 1500 lbs which has allowed me to haul bags of concrete and gravel; and landscaping blocks. I also use it as a hard shell camper and soon will use it to haul my nested dinghy. The only thing better than a minivan would be a Sprinter van because you can stand in.

Old 09-25-2018, 01:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Press Fit
I have a 2000 Dodge Caravan as my second vehicle, I could not bear to sell it after my family grew up. The two rear seats have been removed to maximize room for hauling anything imaginable. With the rear hatch closed, it can haul sheets of 4x8 plywood and 10' long lumber by utilizing the space between the two front seats. It is rated to carry up to 1500 lbs which has allowed me to haul bags of concrete and gravel; and landscaping blocks. I also use it as a hard shell camper and soon will use it to haul my nested dinghy. The only thing better than a minivan would be a Sprinter van because you can stand in.
I always enjoyed a mini van. Every once in a while I check craigslist for a dodge grand caravan since they are CHEAP but extremely practical and useful. But, having a 3rd personal car would be a PITA to maintain. I would sell the Fit if I decide to buy one again.

Old 04-21-2021, 06:44 PM
Space gained

Originally Posted by wasserball
I saved 68.4 lbs. 36.8 double seat + 31.6 single seat. No more magic seats. I need all the space I can get when I am traveling by myself. Planning on placing a large flat plywood, move the passenger seat up so I can sleep diagonally when I am visiting the national parks. The disadvantage is everything need to be tied down. No back seats to prevent items from slipping forward.
Hey there, I'm working on my car camper conversion pans now. HOw much space did you gain? I was going to build something to go over the seats but now I'm wondering if it would be worth rethinking my design.

Old 04-21-2021, 08:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kristen Arnold
Hey there, I'm working on my car camper conversion pans now. HOw much space did you gain? I was going to build something to go over the seats but now I'm wondering if it would be worth rethinking my design.
I keep the design simple and light in weight. The L brackets are used to support the board. I will test whether I can last a night or two before car camp the NPs in the western states. I have NP forever pass, and I plan on getting a Planet Fitness black membership for showering and relaxing when I need to.

Last edited by wasserball; 04-21-2021 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-09-2021, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wasserball
I knew someone is going to point nothing will be gained, certainly not the 68 lbs if that was all I was looking for. Can you imagine having a flat surface with both front seat reclined to its horizontal position?. Wow, I got space for a double bed. I can also fit a flat surface in the back to support a laptop and I have a small stool. I can surf the internet sitting down! With the back seats in place I was very uncomfortable sleeping diagonally one time. You won't appreciate the plans until follow ups are posted. Flexibility and easy to configure will be two important features Don't gained much? Two sets of seats, gone! Maybe not for you, but they are useless space for me. If the plans don't work out, I can reinstall the seats in less than 10 minutes. Two bolts holding each seat. They are easy to get in and out of the back doors.
Hey! Where are the 2 bolts that hold a seat? I wanna remove my seats!

Old 05-10-2021, 08:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nomenclator
Hey! Where are the 2 bolts that hold a seat? I wanna remove my seats!
Lift up the two flaps behind the seats. There are two bolts holding down each seat. You have to cut a trim a cosmetic piece to get the seats out because I didn't want to remove a few press fitted plastic pieces, but it is not noticeable with the seat in place or removed..

Last edited by wasserball; 05-10-2021 at 09:01 AM.
Old 05-10-2021, 01:05 PM
Alternative Support System

An alternative to your angle braces that would leave almost all of the room underneath the plywood board unencumbered would be center-mounted bicycle kickstands. Probably 2, or maybe 4. I would glue and screw a 1X4" support across the entire edge of the plywood, something strong like oak, and then just bolt the kickstands to the bottom of that 1x4.This one is adjustable in ~ 10mm increments so you should be able to dial in the height real nice. When storing the plywood extension the kickstands would fold up nice and tight. Ditto for when you want to pull something out from under the bed.

Last edited by solidpoint; 05-10-2021 at 01:07 PM. Reason: grammar