3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

alternate seats?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 08:50 PM
5 Year Member
alternate seats?

Are there any other honda cars that have better seats that can bolt into a 2015 fit. Both my wife and i have had it with the seats in our ex-l. They are fing horrid for any driving over an hour or so. My back is destroyed for days after longish drives. Even my 88 toyota has better seats as does my old colorado.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bigbacon
Are there any other honda cars that have better seats that can bolt into a 2015 fit. Both my wife and i have had it with the seats in our ex-l. They are fing horrid for any driving over an hour or so. My back is destroyed for days after longish drives. Even my 88 toyota has better seats as does my old colorado.
It might help if we knew the dimensions of the occupants, otherwise we'd only be wild guessing.

For example, I'm 5'6", weigh 180-185 lbs., long arms and long torso. very short legs (approx. 26" inseam). I wear size 7W shoes. The longest trip I've taken was to Cookeville, TN, approx. 90 miles each way. Did the meeting and stopped about half way back for gas. I had no seating discomfort.

Now my Fit is an EX, and has cloth seats, not leather. It's too freaking hot in Middle Tennessee (where you are) for leather seats IMO, especially now with 90+ degree heat. The driver's seat can be adjusted up, down, back, forward and tilted.. The passenger seat less so. Leather seats in Middle Tennessee yuck ... YMMV.

Last edited by KentFinn; 07-01-2017 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:32 AM
5 Year Member
I've taken a few road trips (down to Gulf Shores Alabama 2x and up to the Detroit area 2x ..... seats are fine for me, and no complaints from my significant other .... she rather enjoys the "relax mode" part way into the journeys ) We have just the basic LX ....not a fan of leather, here

Old 07-01-2017, 11:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KentFinn
It might help if we knew the dimensions of the occupants, otherwise we'd only be wild guessing.

For example, I'm 5'6", weigh 180-185 lbs., long arms and long torso. very short legs (approx. 26" inseam). I wear size 7W shoes. The longest trip I've taken was to Cookeville, TN, approx. 90 miles each way. Did the meeting and stopped about half way back for gas. I had no seating discomfort.

Now my Fit is an EX, and has cloth seats, not leather. It's too freaking hot in Middle Tennessee (where you are) for leather seats IMO, especially now with 90+ degree heat. The driver's seat can be adjusted up, down, back, forward and tilted.. The passenger seat less so. Leather seats in Middle Tennessee yuck ... YMMV.
wtf does my size have to do with having shitty seats? No other car we own or have owned had seats thus bad. Rock hard and seat backs upper pad sits horribly on your shoulders. They are the worst seats i have ever sat in.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:49 AM
5 Year Member
Similar story here: EX with cloth seats, have spent many 10 hour days with no discomfort during or after the trip. Many of us love the seats. But clearly lots of people agree that the front seats are very uncomfortable. Strange, really, that the seats have such a divided opinion as to their comfort.

Old 07-01-2017, 12:18 PM
5 Year Member
wtf does my size have to do with having shitty seats? No other car we own or have owned had seats thus bad. Rock hard and seat backs upper pad sits horribly on your shoulders. They are the worst seats i have ever sat in.
There's a science called ergonomics that would explain how the relationship of body shapes and sizes relate to the things we use. That includes automobile interiors, controls, seats, and materials do matter in terms of comfort and utility. The Fit EXL obviously does not fit (unintended pun) does not meet your needs.

Maybe you can part it out. I'd love to have the "wink" mirrors and possibly the navigation/infotainment head unit, at the right price.

Old 07-01-2017, 04:16 PM
Cheap cars always have cheap seats. But you could probably have a weak back. When i first bought my car. Any driving over 1 hour would start to hurt my back. Then i started doing deadlift and squats because i had to get my fat ass in my suit for a wedding. I dont have anymore back pain from sitting in the fit for over 10 hours.

Old 07-01-2017, 06:18 PM
5 Year Member
My butt hurts after sitting on the uneven surface.

Last edited by wasserball; 07-01-2017 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-02-2017, 04:23 AM
i agree. The Fit seats need more support in the thighs and lower back. My wife, who has a rounder derrière, only complains about the back support (lack thereof). The quick and easy solution is to get desk chair pads from amazon. They do help.

Of note, the lack of thigh support (or short seat cushions) are not just relegated to Hondas. Seems a lot of Japanese brands have seat cushions that only reach the midpoint on my thigh (I'm 6' with admittedly long legs). Even my old Lexus had this problem. And when we recently test drove the Mazda CX-9, the same thing. Various auto reviewers have noted this as well (but just don't ask me for sources).

Old 07-02-2017, 06:49 AM
5 Year Member
I'm 5'8", 160#, with a 30" inseam. I also have chronic back pain. I find the Fit's seats to be comfortable on four hour drives. Sorry that they don't work for you.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
I'm 5'8", 160#, with a 30" inseam. I also have chronic back pain. I find the Fit's seats to be comfortable on four hour drives. Sorry that they don't work for you.
It just occurred to me that the Fit EX-L seats are not only leather (duh) but also heated. That may alter the configuration of the seat slightly and make them less comfortable for others. Different material and stuff below the cover is bound to make a difference. Just sayin'

Old 07-03-2017, 09:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mizike
The Fit seats need more support in the thighs . . .
Maybe your seat is too low. Raise the driver's seat with the control handle and you may achieve better thigh support. Alternatively, consider this seat tilt modification.

Last edited by Press Fit; 07-03-2017 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by Press Fit
Maybe your seat is too low. Raise the driver's seat with the control handle and you may achieve better thigh support.
Yup, that helps. I realized at around the 1000 mile mark that the Fit was meant to be driven in a more upright position and I would not be able to sit low in the car as I usually do. So I raised it to about 50%-60% height level. This also helps you reach the farthest gears in the manual tranny.

The Fit is a brilliant car--the best in its segment. If I was a reviewer, I'd given it a 9.5...except for the seat support issues. Factoring in the seat comfort, I'd score it somewhat less.

Old 07-03-2017, 02:29 PM
5 Year Member
Seat comfort is so subjective to the individual.
Too many unique personal factors involved. Height, weight, condition of the persons back or legs.

So I hesitate to give any advice. The seats either work for you, or they don't.
If you find they do NOT work for you?
I think the cheapest, easiest route, is to just start trying cushions. There are countless seat bottom cushions, lumbar support cushions, and other products available.

For me? The Honda Fit seats work. They are OK. Not the most luxurious or comfortable, but perfectly serviceable. I have taken some longer drives, and while I do stop to stretch and move....I need to do this anyway, I have found that the seats seem fine..for me.
I bought a seat bottom cushion, that I do use. It seems to help. A little extra padding, a little extra height, does IMO for me, make the seat a little more comfortable. I can drive without it however and still be OK.

I would start with pad and cushion experimentation. The cost of and trouble of complete replacement? Pretty daunting and also with no guarantees. If you can find a cushion or seat back aide that fixes the problem? Much easier solution.

If you can't?
Well, in other forums with other vehicles, I have read about owners who actually have been forced to give up on a vehicle they otherwise like, specifically because they did not like the seats and could find no way to live with them.
I hope it doesn't come to that end for the OP.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:03 PM
5 Year Member
This thread is going nowhere. I think the seats are designed for Japanese butts. I think I am going to take a baseball bat and soften it up so it conforms to my butt a little better. I don't have back pains from the back support, just the contour of the seat that does not give me comfort.

Last edited by wasserball; 07-03-2017 at 07:05 PM.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:50 AM
sjd
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KentFinn
There's a science called ergonomics that would explain how the relationship of body shapes and sizes relate to the things we use. That includes automobile interiors, controls, seats, and materials do matter in terms of comfort and utility. The Fit EXL obviously does not fit (unintended pun) does not meet your needs.
I've worked for seveal dealerships and an OEM (Japanese but not Honda) and people don't want to accept that they might be the issue, not the car. I've seen it more times than I can count. I do agree that many modern seats lack thigh support but longer seat cushions mean a decrease in legroom. The Europeans really do seats well but you pay for it but then I worked at German dealership and too firm and/or too narrow seats were the usual complaint there.

Old 07-04-2017, 05:08 PM
5 Year Member
Has anyone driven an HRV yet? I know they have the same chassis as the Fit and I think the floor mats are the same so maybe the front seats might bolt in?