3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

ex-l leather

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 12:21 PM
ex-l leather

for those with the leather seats, how is your leather holding up? What do you use to clean/condition the leather? I've only had mine for 2 months and it still looks great, but I remember reading complaints about it wearing out fast so was wondering how those who've had theirs for longer are doing.

I actually really like the leather, I feel like mine has also softened up a bit which makes it feel better but I hope that doesn't mean it will wear out fast.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:27 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i use a product called Griot's Leather Care Spray. you can buy it in a small bottle and it will last you a long time. i apply and work in the product using a short weave MF towel. dries to a matte finish. just spray into the towel and work it into the leather.

but the BEST protection imho, is to use tinted windows if ur car is parked outdoors and try not to scuff the surface while getting in/out with your jeans/pants or jacket. the little scratches are what causes the top coating of the leather to break apart and slowly disintegrate the leather. if no scuffs, then it can last a very long time even without applying any product.

if you get crap on the seats, just use some warm water wringed towel.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:38 AM
Originally Posted by kenchan
i use a product called Griot's Leather Care Spray. you can buy it in a small bottle and it will last you a long time. i apply and work in the product using a short weave MF towel. dries to a matte finish. just spray into the towel and work it into the leather.

but the BEST protection imho, is to use tinted windows if ur car is parked outdoors and try not to scuff the surface while getting in/out with your jeans/pants or jacket. the little scratches are what causes the top coating of the leather to break apart and slowly disintegrate the leather. if no scuffs, then it can last a very long time even without applying any product.

if you get crap on the seats, just use some warm water wringed towel.
how often do you apply that?

hmmm, I do kind of scrape my pants on the seat when I get in. I could scrape less but I don't want to compress the side bolster thing on the seat bottom - do you have any wear there?

Old 07-31-2017, 09:57 AM
5 Year Member
i only apply like once every 6months at best.

My cars have fairly large side bolsters and i make sure i don't rub against it when getting in and out.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member
I have a 2015 EXL that was bought in June 2014. So its just over 3 years old.

Leather still looks great. The drivers side outside butt bolster has some very small creases from sliding in and out but otherwise, everything looks like new. No cracks or scratches anywhere on any of the seats.

In terms of drying out, I've had no issues, but my car has tinted windows and is garage kept at work and at home. Keeping the sun out helps.

Admittedly, I'm terrible when it comes to actively trying to maintain them. I've put cleaner and conditioner on them once since I've owned it. When I clean my car I just vacuum the seats and then just wipe them down with a barely damp rag to get any little dust.

No issues so far.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:28 PM
5 Year Member
decent leather

My Fit is almost three years old and the leather has held up well. The only caution I offer involves the back of the front seats. If you switch to cargo mode a lot you can easily rub the backs of the front seats with the rear headrests if you're not careful. I noticed what I was doing before I did any real damage, but not before I made a couple marks. Luckily they faded away with cleaning.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:27 AM
5 Year Member
^ good warning! i dont have leather on the GK, but i did notice the rear seat backs rubbing the back of the front seat backs when laying them down flat. that can potentially cause permanent scuffs on the leather if one's not careful!!

Old 08-05-2017, 04:25 PM
sjd
5 Year Member
I'm pretty certain that the front seat backs are actually vinyl not leather. Most cars say "leather seating surfaces" which means only the part you actually sit on.

I've only owned one car with leather (not usually a fan) and it was my 2007 Mazdaspeed6 and used to clean and condition them once a month using Meguiar's leather cleaner and conditioner.

Gold Class? Rich Leather Cleaner & Conditioner - Meguiar's

The seats looked great after 100K (62K for the Americans reading this) when I got rid of the car.

Old 08-05-2017, 05:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sjd
I'm pretty certain that the front seat backs are actually vinyl not leather. Most cars say "leather seating surfaces" which means only the part you actually sit on.

I've only owned one car with leather (not usually a fan) and it was my 2007 Mazdaspeed6 and used to clean and condition them once a month using Meguiar's leather cleaner and conditioner.

Gold Class? Rich Leather Cleaner & Conditioner - Meguiar's

The seats looked great after 100K (62K for the Americans reading this) when I got rid of the car.
Good point! Either way, watch the rub.

Old 08-05-2017, 05:23 PM
5 Year Member
^ +1 agreed. just dont rub against the side bolsters when getting in/out.. goes a LONG way.