3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fire extinguisher location

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 06:01 PM
Fire extinguisher location

Good evening, I own a 2017 Honda FIT EXL CVT. I cannot find a decent location for the fire extinguished. I was planning to bold the support ahead and below the front passenger seat.

Where are you installing the Fire extinguisher?

Regards,

Dario from Argentina

Old 08-22-2017, 09:12 AM
5 Year Member
I don't have a fire extinguisher in my car. Mine's under the kitchen sink

Old 08-22-2017, 10:55 AM
5 Year Member
I don't think its require to have one.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by galaxy convoy
I don't think its require to have one.
The OP is from Argentina. I suspect you're correct on it not being required, but do you really know their laws or motor vehicle requirements?

Fire extinguisher is generational thing. Part of the rally car or "race car" look. Along with changing the headlights to demon eyes, rear diffusers, wheels & tires, plastic dip and wrapping the car or at minimum the roof.

My guess he's working with what he has, can afford or what's readily available in his country. My guess, is if he could drive a WRX, EVO, Focus RS or something higher performance and more rally inspired, he would?

Old 08-22-2017, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member
I'm unsure there is enough height under the passenger seat. I have only 4" under the front passenger seat. My very tiny kitchen fire extinguisher is 3" diameter. I was going to put a small toolbox under the front passenger seat but it would not fit.

Here in North America we have some foam just above the spare tire in the hatch, which holds tools. If you rebuilt this foam with wood there might be enough space for a fire extinguisher.

Old 08-23-2017, 01:50 PM
Thanks. In Argentina (and also in Europe) regular cars MUST carry a portable fire extinguisher INSIDE the passenger area, because if you need to extinguish a fire in the engine, you must have it for quick access. If you put it in the trunk, below the carpet next to the spare wheel (don´t mention if you have the trunk full of luggage) you must first open the trunk and then grab the extinguisher in order to fight the fire in the engine...
This is Argentine´s DOT regulations. I´m not intend to use the car for race.. (ummm maybe to run away from my wife !)

Old 08-23-2017, 02:03 PM
5 Year Member
Depending on the size of the fire extinguisher, you may be able to mount it on the back panel of the center console without taking too much space from the rear center seat's legroom. I think that back panel just pulls off. Not sure if you'll have enough clearance to lower the rear seats flat though

Last edited by 2Rismo2; 08-23-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
It may stretch the "pocket" out, but can you stuff it in the "pocket" on the back of the passenger seat (assuming Fits have that feature in your country). I pulled mine from the kitchen, and it fits mine just fine, but will stretch it out over time, I'm sure....and doesn't look great. But if you're required to have one, that's an option - if you have the pocket, that is.

Old 08-23-2017, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
I would want to at least have it bolted down somewhere. Last thing you need in an accident is having a 2lb object flying in the cabin.

On my 4Runner I have a small auto extinguisher appropriate for autos mounted in the trunk area.

On the Fit I have a plastic milk crate that I've thought about mounting an extinguisher there. The milk crate is a bungied to the D-rings in the back.

Old 08-23-2017, 03:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
I would want to at least have it bolted down somewhere. Last thing you need in an accident is having a 2lb object flying in the cabin.

On my 4Runner I have a small auto extinguisher appropriate for autos mounted in the trunk area.

On the Fit I have a plastic milk crate that I've thought about mounting an extinguisher there. The milk crate is a bungied to the D-rings in the back.
If you get into an accident bad enough to propel an extinguisher outta the rer seat pocket, me thinks you got a whole lot more to worry about, really

Old 08-24-2017, 05:19 AM
5 Year Member
If I really wanted a fire extinguisher in the cabin, I would make some brackets out of thin steel and attach them using the front bolts holding the driver's seat down. Just brainstorming, haven't even looked in the car to see what that would look like, but it's a solid mounting point and it would be accessible immediately.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member