3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

CVT RPM on interstate or at 75mph.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 03:36 PM
5 Year Member
CVT RPM on interstate or at 75mph.

I can't believe I can't find anything using the search features and then even trying to search within threads.

I am very close to possibly buying a soon to be leftover 2017 EX-L. I am almost entirely an interstate driver and I'm wondering just how much quieter the 2017 EX-L would be over my 2015 LX.

Final drive ratio of the EX-L is about 15% lower, but I don't know if it is that simple to say the rpm will be 15% lower at cruising speed.

As always... Thanks for you help!

Old 12-04-2017, 03:54 PM
5 Year Member
On my CVT, 70 MPH is about 2400 RPM. I'd say at 75 MPH it's maybe 2500.

From past threads, 6MT GKs are around 3500 RPM @ 70 MPH.

I'd insist on an interstate drive prior to purchasing the CVT to make sure it meets your expectations.

Old 12-04-2017, 04:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
On my CVT, 70 MPH is about 2400 RPM. I'd say at 75 MPH it's maybe 2500.

I'd insist on an interstate drive prior to purchasing the CVT to make sure it meets your expectations.
I greatly appreciate this info. Would you have a fear that the CVT may not have the snappy power that the 6mt has because of the already higher revs? I guess up to the moment I have been much more concerned with feeling safe while merging or managing traffic. I've always liked knowing I can merge on at 3500-4500 and find a spot if needed. I've always thought the car would be perfect if the engine noise on the interstate (70+) was the same as our state highways (60mph).

There's tons of talk already on the forum in terms of noise and driving style differences, so my apology for beating a dead horse...

Big thanks for the quick reply about RPM..

Old 12-04-2017, 04:24 PM
5 Year Member
At 80 in the Dakotas, the mileage fell, but the car was fine. 2600 on the CVT.

Many other 5k trips in the 70 mph range 2400 to 2500.

Very comfortable long distance cruiser.

Old 12-04-2017, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member
I drive my LX / CVT in ECON all the time and have never felt a need for more power. With ECON off, I'd imagine you still have a bit of headroom for merging under just about any normal driving conditions.

For me - whose last seven cars were all manual trannys - the justification for the CVT was the much taller high gear compared to the 6MT. Better fuel economy and engine turning considerably lower revs at highway speeds, which theoretically lead to longer engine life and a quieter ride. My GD3 / 5MT was a screamer at highway speeds. That drove me nuts on long trips, and I did several cross-country trips in that car, not always fun.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member
If memory serves me right the 0-60 MPH acceleration of the CVT was just a sliver higher than the MT. I haven't seen any other comparisons between the two.

Old 12-04-2017, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by exl500
Many other 5k trips in the 70 mph range 2400 to 2500.

Very comfortable long distance cruiser.
Agree with the above.

Old 12-05-2017, 12:23 AM
5 Year Member

That sounds exactly right, in my experience with our 6spd

Old 12-05-2017, 07:36 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CyclingFit
I can't believe I can't find anything using the search features and then even trying to search within threads.

I am very close to possibly buying a soon to be leftover 2017 EX-L. I am almost entirely an interstate driver and I'm wondering just how much quieter the 2017 EX-L would be over my 2015 LX.

Final drive ratio of the EX-L is about 15% lower, but I don't know if it is that simple to say the rpm will be 15% lower at cruising speed.

As always... Thanks for you help!

honestly if you already have a GK, just drive it till you're sick of it or breakdown. no sense buying the same car, regardless of trim thing is still a Fit, unless there is absolutely something wrong with your ride. if your goal is to save money, keep your current ride.

also, according to what GAFIT has posted, his Golf is a super hwy cruiser at below $20K that's a huge bargain and upgrade from your GK. id check that car out too if you must change cars.

Old 12-05-2017, 01:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
honestly if you already have a GK, just drive it till you're sick of it or breakdown. no sense buying the same car, regardless of trim thing is still a Fit, unless there is absolutely something wrong with your ride. if your goal is to save money, keep your current ride.

also, according to what GAFIT has posted, his Golf is a super hwy cruiser at below $20K that's a huge bargain and upgrade from your GK. id check that car out too if you must change cars.
Counterpoint: If something happened to my Fit, I'd definitely get another. It's just right to me.

Old 12-05-2017, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by exl500
Counterpoint: If something happened to my Fit, I'd definitely get another. It's just right to me.
if you needed to replace it, sounds fine to me. hell go for the higher trim if yours wasn't already even.

Old 12-05-2017, 02:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CyclingFit
I greatly appreciate this info. Would you have a fear that the CVT may not have the snappy power that the 6mt has because of the already higher revs? I guess up to the moment I have been much more concerned with feeling safe while merging or managing traffic. I've always liked knowing I can merge on at 3500-4500 and find a spot if needed. I've always thought the car would be perfect if the engine noise on the interstate (70+) was the same as our state highways (60mph).

There's tons of talk already on the forum in terms of noise and driving style differences, so my apology for beating a dead horse...

Big thanks for the quick reply about RPM..
No fear that the CVT doesn't have the passing power, it "downshifts" quickly when you mash on the gas pedal. Since you'll be getting the EX, you can also use the paddle shifter to force it into a lower ratio before initiating a pass or even use the Sport mode.

Old 12-06-2017, 01:12 PM
5 Year Member
Good advice coming from multiple directions...

Hearing about all upgrades going from a 2015 LX to a 2018 Sport, it is making it very hard for me to consider this 2017 EX-L now. I stopped by and drove the car and enjoyed it, but I was caught off guard by a few things I had never paid attention too...

When I got in the car I learned a few things that are likely obvious to most FitFreaks:
1. Apple CarPlay is certainly not Honda Link and for some reason I thought the loaded 2017's had CarPlay.
2. I thought EX-L cars came as loaded as you could get them, this one does not have navigation.
3. Also because I thought EX-L's came loaded, I expected the door sill kit with the fancy lights, etc..

I left the dealer pretty bummed thinking I would be able to work with them. Knowing the 2018's have sound deadening, different glass, carplay, and all on just the sport model... It makes commitment to a 2017 EX-L, much more difficult.

Last edited by CyclingFit; 12-06-2017 at 01:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-08-2017, 07:34 PM
5 Year Member
smart move cylingfit. i would never consider replacing my 16 GK for a 17 or 18.

Old 12-18-2017, 04:45 PM
5 Year Member
Update:

Maybe 11 days ago my 52,000 mile - 2015 GK 6mt, car was traded in on a 2018 GK EX CVT with 29 miles...

I'm thankful that this thread and a push from kenchan, pushed me away from buying the same car I already had. I was close to buying a 2017 EX-L, but a little peer pressure had me questioning my motives. Yes it was going from base to loaded, but still much of the same. I walked into the dealer to tell them I was not convinced the EX-L was for me.... I said "hello" and the dealer responded with, "good to see you, I have an idea... lets go drive the 2018 EX CVT, it costs a lot less and I think it's a lot of car..."

THIS IS A DIFFERENT CAR. WOW. I just did 2400 miles of road tripping and I am in shock that it's so different. Having my fiance comment at least 4 times during our trip, stating, "wow, I still can't get over this difference."

Honda Sense - Amazing. I never knew I would care about this stuff. The lane assist, active cruise, etc...

The keyless technology and push start.. - Why was I so hard headed. This stuff is a game changer. The car starts each time and it will probably have a quarter-million miles before it has a starting issue. If the starter begins to fail, I'll fix it... But my hard headed side always said "i want the control of a key" It's like saying I wanted button on my iPhone, it's not going to happen.

The car is so quiet I can't explain it. When the 6 speed manual was an interstate car, it was howling. If the manual car was a windows down, summer climate, city car with some interstate jaunts, then sure, it would be great. But the reality is that the 2018 with CVT is a different beast and it is quiet. RPM is so much lower, which helps, but even when it revs, it's quieter. Moments on the highway that it needs to rev up to 3500-4000, it's still so much quieter. Around town, especially in ECON, it only revs as much as it needs, not revving higher than needed to make the next hear more manageable.

Apple CarPlay.. again, WOW! changed my life. I was bummed that it takes a cord but I quickly got over that. It has some kinks to work out, but I'm sure Honda or Apple will get it.

SiriusXM - We have had it in my fiances Jeep, but that Jeep moves maybe 2,500 miles per year with her driving it. I never knew how great XM could be on long road trips. I'm not searching, I'm not going through a predictable playlist from a USB, etc...

It's important that I mention... I went from one end of the spectrum and almost all the way to the other end. A 2014 built, 2015 Fit that I loved... Now this 2018, it's just simply a more refined car.

I'm a car nut with a Honda Fit budget. I pay attention to little things and this car has fixed those, it seems.

For those that would not own a CVT, I was there too... This thing feels like a manual with infinite gears. In fact, the CVT makes me really dislike regular automatics. It doesn't search for gears... It simply gives you however much power is needed to maintain or achieve the goal of your foot on the pedal. It's the oddest thing to have the car simply give you more power because you requested it. Versus bogged down and a huge downshift.

Sorry if any of this is sounds boastful. As a car nut, I get excited about these things, just the same way I get excited about other peoples mods. Hopefully this gives someone the view of a guy who loved his first GK and now really loves the slightly more refined newer-GK.

I may copy some of this into a new thread and expand on some thoughts..

Last edited by CyclingFit; 12-19-2017 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:08 PM
5 Year Member
looks like you're really enjoying ur new ride. congrats.

Old 12-18-2017, 07:17 PM
5 Year Member
Glad you're enjoying you're new car

Old 12-19-2017, 09:57 AM
5 Year Member
This is good to know, thanks for posting, CycligFit

Old 12-19-2017, 02:21 PM
5 Year Member
Glad you're enjoying you're new car
I'll add to the chorus. Glad you love your car. I love my 2015 EX.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:39 PM
5 Year Member
We do 2300 rpm at 70 mph with CVT with ECO on, unless it's a hill and it ups to 2500. Stay at 60 mph or less and you're at <2000 rpm and getting 50 mpg.

One thing about all topics on this forum are different perceptions of what a Fit should be. Some people are looking for the muscle car aspects of it and are disappointed in the general concept of automatic transmission, poor ratios if you do get manual (particularly 6th gear), maybe iffy handling on curves (hey, this is a mini-SUV people, not a Ferrari). Okay, this is a car designed to be compact with a lot of storage and high fuel efficiency. It has a small 1.5L engine which gets it great fuel efficiency (up to 50 mpg if you drive carefully) but many similar cars today have 2L engines (and only get 35 mpg under normal driving conditions). Sure, you can drive a Fit like a muscle car but it doesn't have the muscles. People buy cars like this and like the challenge of doing things it probably isn't really meant to do -- I used to drive a 1972 VW camper bus like a muscle car, but really? I'm happy with our 2016 LX CVT but some of this is what you need to ask yourself about your driving habits and needs. I have just become a patient driver so I never have a need to mash down on the gas.

Last edited by Limmie; 12-28-2017 at 12:46 PM.