3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2018 FIT is now the king of all generations...I think

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
2018 FIT is now the king of all generations...I think

I had an original FIT and loved it...it was a tad noisy, and a tad fatiguing on the highway, but a lot of fun to drive.

I moved to Gen2 and it was a bit quieter and softer in general. Better for highway driving but the throttle response was weak, and the steering a bit more vague. It felt like a big car...

I drove a 2016 and felt it was again softer...more body roll, more vague steering. In short, I didn't want a new FIT even though I waited for it!

Now I just drove a 2018 and all things in...I think it is without a doubt the best FIT of them all! The steering feels much better, the chassis/suspension feels very tight and I actually feel a connection with the road. THe cabin is quieter as well...it's like they have finally put together the right FIT. It was absolutely fun to drive again!!

Did anyone else drive a 2018 yet? Your thoughts in comparison to a pre 2018 gen 3 fit?

I drove the Sport model...but as far as I can tell there's nothing special about it's drive vs the EX/LX. Could be time to get my butt back where it belongs..in a Honda FIT!

Old 09-29-2017, 10:48 PM
5 Year Member
Glad to hear about your experience.

We've been holding on to our GD, and will continue to do so, but have been shopping a new Fit through the years.

I hope that Honda is finally resuming the course they set originally and have stopped softening the car. Refinement is needed, but not minivan like softness. My Mom and friends have newer Fit's, but they are all too soft. We ended up buying a VW Golf instead.

Hopefully Honda will get a good response from this "sport" experiment and maybe even give the Fit a real drivetrain. They have the 1.5 turbo and it would be a perfect "fit."

Old 09-30-2017, 12:23 AM
5 Year Member
Funny you should say that...I was on the verge of getting a Golf too!!

And even though I can tell this new FIT isn't as refined, as powerful, or as quiet as the Golf was...I think it was more fun!

I often wonder what it would be like to get in a brand new GD Fit...

Old 09-30-2017, 12:29 AM
5 Year Member
There's an A/T 2007 Milano Red GD3 Sport at the Honda training center in Irving, Texas. Completely mint with less than... Ready for it? 200 miles on it. Its only been used for tech training its entire life. Maybe they'll sell it in a few years...

Anywho... back to the subject.

I've driven the just about every configuration of the GK5 since the release and so far the EX-L with Honda Sensing is the best equipped model I've driven... BUT to me, they're lacking two key things.

1) Needs more sound deadening. I understand it is Honda's entry model but a little extra sound deadening on EX-Ls (well the entire range but at least this trim) would be amazing.

2) I think having a panoramic roof would have been ideal for this gen as either an option or standard on higher trim levels (which was available in other markets for the GE). Especially when considering that refresh mode in back for this generation and can further enjoy it from time to time.

Other than that, things like the springs and dampers... are from the 2017 if memory serves me right. We just happened to get the face lift, improved audio units (with a volume knob!), and Honda Sensing now along with the return with the Sport.

The return of the Sport trim is bitter sweet for me. For the longest time, I really wanted a Helios Yellow, Orange Burst II, or White Orchid Pearl 6 speed manual GK5... but two of the colors I really wanted were not available state side at the time as well as it was hard as heck to score a 6 speed in my area. So instead ended up getting a 2016 CR-Z EX 6 speed. The reasons for making this choice?

1) After multiple attempts at my dealer to order a 6 speed manual EX in either Mystic Yellow, Passion Berry Pearl, or even the nice conservative White Orchid Pearl... the order was never put through. After at least 5 to 7 months of back and forth checking/hounding them.

2) Even if I did order the car, I wouldn't have been content with the purchase since its not quite what I wanted. Color was a "that'll do because its close" ordeal. In addition to that, the audio unit's lack of a volume knob would have annoyed the heck out of me along with the dead weight of a sun roof that I wouldn't have used.

Yes... I know I said "dead weight of a sun roof" but I wanted something as close to my GD without all the extra frills. If I wanted a sun roof, I'd want leather, factory nav, and heated seats to come with it as standard equipment to compensate for the missing clutch pedal since those to me feel like items that would be in a more luxury/comfort oriented vehicle. Hence why I also mentioned the panoramic roof with the EX-L trim.

3) Honda's wheel choice was flat out the laziest change I've seen for a new trim level and face lift. Literally all Sport and up GK5s have the same EX wheels... Just different finish. Going black wheels on the Sport but keep the same crappy Firestone on the 16x6 was disappointing. They could have bumped up to a 17x6.5 or 17x7 with a smidge wider tire and been done since that's the general trend with the Accord and its Sport trims.

Anywho... I'm done rambling for now.

Old 09-30-2017, 01:19 AM
5 Year Member
is the ex-l with sensing a 2018?

Old 09-30-2017, 01:39 AM
5 Year Member
Yes, first year for it but drive's identical to the 2017. Just more bells, whistles and a face lift.

Old 09-30-2017, 01:48 AM
5 Year Member
I disagree...it does not drive the same as the 2017...body is much tighter, steering is more direct...and cabin is indeed quieter.

Old 09-30-2017, 01:50 AM
5 Year Member
Part numbers are the same for springs and shocks (front springs variety between CVT and manual), fit and finish the same (though updated), interior noise is the same (to me).

Last edited by Hootie; 09-30-2017 at 02:01 AM.
Old 09-30-2017, 01:58 AM
5 Year Member
I will give you that the EPS motor is different. Looking at part numbers, it seems to be 2018 exclusive AND varies trim level to trim level as well as transmission and Honda Sensing dependent. That is interesting...

Old 09-30-2017, 02:10 AM
5 Year Member
there were some suspension pieces added...steering tweaks and definitely a noise difference...the noise was easily different, but the engine can still come in over the top, but I'm ok with that. It's a FIT, not a Lexus.

Old 09-30-2017, 02:23 AM
5 Year Member
Er...What suspension pieces are you referring to? (Honest question)

I'm literally looking through Honda's part's catalog and looking at what is exclusive to the 2018 and what isn't. I'm still waiting for the HFP suspension to become available for order but that will be sometime this fall.

There might be more sound deadening under the hood to dampen the direct injected engine BUT other than that, it's feels identical to the 2017.

Like I've said... I've driven just about every configuration of the GK5 trim and transmission wise. I was even the second person at my dealer to do a Pre-Delivery Inspection on the first batch 2015s. =)

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...sions-gk5.html

Old 09-30-2017, 02:28 AM
5 Year Member
from the autoweek review :

The powertrain is as it was: All Fits use the same 1.5-liter four-cylinder engine still making 130 hp at 6,600 rpm and 114 lb-ft of torque at 4,600 rpm. A six-speed manual transmission and a CVT automatic transmission with paddle shifters are available.

Honda has, however, made changes to the hatchback’s suspension and chassis to improve dynamics. The engineers have reinforced the body, adding braces to the rockers, floor, roof sills and cowl, and they have retuned the dampers with more pressure. A stiffer bearing has also been added to the steering rack.

To quiet the interior, thicker glass has been added, as well as thicker soundproof material to the underbody and the firewall. And to reduce vibration, the manual transmission mount and torque rod have been reinforced. Honda says the changes add less than 10 pounds to the Fit’s curb weight.

Also new is a full complement of active safety systems, unusual in the subcompact class. The Honda Sensing Suite is now standard on EX and EX-L, but it’s available on all Fit models with the CVT transmission. It includes collision mitigation, road departure mitigation, lane keeping assist and adaptive cruise control, and it’s a steal at $1,000.

Read more: 2018 Honda Fit first drive: All the details on Honda's subcompact hatch

Old 09-30-2017, 02:49 AM
5 Year Member
Interesting... as said springs and dampers are the same as 2017, same goes for the rear torsion beam across the generation range.

Sound wise to me... The direct injected engine is quieter which makes sense with their note of more sound deadening around the firewall. But while driving around and taking engine sounds out of the equation, it sounds pretty much the same to me 2017 vs 2018. Not enough to make a difference road noise wise but enough to dampen that noisy L15B1.

Old 09-30-2017, 03:04 AM
5 Year Member
I found the ride to be significantly stiffer than the 2017...very noticeable. Also, steering was sportier...and it was definitely quieter. And I went to drive it thinking it would be no better than the 2017.

Old 09-30-2017, 07:51 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by benareeno
I think it is without a doubt the best FIT of them all!
i would hope so after 10yrs.. field testing at people's expense..

Old 09-30-2017, 07:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hootie
Interesting... as said springs and dampers are the same as 2017, same goes for the rear torsion beam across the generation range.

Sound wise to me... The direct injected engine is quieter which makes sense with their note of more sound deadening around the firewall. But while driving around and taking engine sounds out of the equation, it sounds pretty much the same to me 2017 vs 2018. Not enough to make a difference road noise wise but enough to dampen that noisy L15B1.
and probably the same vtc noise at startup after 10k miles or so.. unless they fixed it.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
i would hope so after 10yrs.. field testing at people's expense..
Don't all manufacturers do this?

Old 09-30-2017, 11:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
Don't all manufacturers do this?
so by the 10th year they better be good.. no excuses!

Old 09-30-2017, 12:00 PM
5 Year Member
Coming from a 2017, I'm going to test drive the 2018 to see if there is a difference in interior noise and handling characteristics.

Old 09-30-2017, 12:11 PM
5 Year Member
You know when you go & test drive a car it is very likely that the tires are way over inflated. Dealers do this as a matter of course. Cars sitting on the lot for a while would have very low inflation pressures after a few months.

Check the air in the tires before your test drive. If they are over inflated it will ride stiffer. Could this be why the 2018 rides more firm than the 2017? Hmmm....

Quick Reply: 2018 FIT is now the king of all generations...I think