3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Paint freely peeling off?

Old 05-11-2019, 10:02 PM
This looks like adhesive failure between the primer and top coat. If the issue was adhesive failure between the paint and substrate the bottom of the paint would be darker. This is 100% a manufacturing defect.

Old 05-12-2019, 12:12 PM
5 Year Member
OMG!!! that is discusting, i have my jazz in white orchid pearl too but it is a japan car, 2018 and i hope i dont see that on mine

it looks like it doesnt have any clear coat over it too as well as bad prep

Old 05-12-2019, 04:53 PM
5 Year Member
Looks like neglect on owners part to me. Just because it's a new(ish) car doesn't mean you don't have to wash the car periodically and WAX it at the very least. Yeah, the peel looks bad but the condition of the paint from neglect is cringe worthy in itself.

Old 05-12-2019, 11:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nisco
Looks like neglect on owners part to me. Just because it's a new(ish) car doesn't mean you don't have to wash the car periodically and WAX it at the very least. Yeah, the peel looks bad but the condition of the paint from neglect is cringe worthy in itself.
I babied the car before this peeling issue. Pics taken after road trip.

Had various paint issues since 60 days of purchase, which Honda covered under warranty.

Here is another case of this defect with a white Honda Odyssey.

Old 05-13-2019, 07:26 AM
5 Year Member
I recently acquired 2013 Odyssey and I saw there was a TSB for the paint. It was very specific where only certain panels were repainted free of charge. Fortunately my example looks good, but I can empathize with folks who have this issue.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nisco
Total baloney. This has nothing whatsoever to do with owner neglect and if I was the OP I would be extremely offended by your words.

I've seen paint peel on various cars from different manufacturers all my life. I don't know what exactly causes it but it is purely a manufacturing defect which the manufacturer should be responsible for. It usually shows up fairly early in a car's life. It can affect a very small number of cars or it can be quite widespread. Here's a good example of a major problem Ford had in the early 1990's:

Ford Paint Peel Problem

Ford's problems with paint have never really gone away. Here's a current Facebook discussion on recent problems:

Recent Paint Problems at Ford

And yes, Honda has had paint peel problems on a number of models over the years:

Honda Paint Problems

Old 06-05-2019, 10:58 AM
same here

Hello, I'd just like to chime in here and say I have the same exact problem. Also have the pearl white and 2015 fit - looks like that's three cases of the same color in this thread. Been thinking of calling them to see if maybe they'd help but this thread isn't promising. Maybe with a few others we could band together somehow and shame them into action. It is a bad look for their brand after all, even just on the street. I'll post some pics later, just created an account to say this.

Old 06-05-2019, 11:03 AM
I would suggest finding Honda's body exterior paint spec for steel and referencing the performance requirement listed in the document. If it doesn't conform to Honda's internal standards, you might have more leverage.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member
Honda just issued warranty extension for 15-18 Fit (and 16-18 HRV) with white paint problems
Owners should be notified by mail in the near future (probably by August 2019)
See your dealership for details

Old 06-11-2019, 06:53 PM
I have the same problem with my GE8, front bumper cover is peeling like crazy. As of now, there is only peeling on the front bumper. I'm planning to do a complete detail on the rest of the car to preserve what I can.

I bought my 2013 GE8 from a Honda dealership with 9k miles for less than 10k 2 years ago. Within 6 months I noticed that the paint was beginning to peel on the front bumper, took it to the dealership and they couldn't do anything for me. Welp, it's a shame that even in today's standards Honda's paint job are as bad as the 90's and early 00's.

Last edited by fitsmyfit; 06-12-2019 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:12 AM
That's encouraging news ezone! I tried looking it up and couldn't find anything, would you possibly have a source on that?

Detroit, I also tried to look that up but the results were odd. I think including "steel" in the search threw it off. If you have any more info on how to find that information that would be awesome.

Sorry for the delay but I've finally taken some pictures. As you can see, it's just an unnatural peeling. The first occurance was on the door, which had no possible cause at all. The roof could have been a rock or something but later it started peeling all over, so apparently it's defective.

this is rear driver-side door

Old 06-12-2019, 03:58 PM
5 Year Member
is this paint peel for mexico only white cars or for japan made ones too?

Old 06-12-2019, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by monkeydave
My GE was assembled in Japan. I'm fortunate (as of now) that the peeling is only on the front and rear bumper covers. The rest of the paint looks decent but I'm sure with age the clear coat will eventually wear thin and peel.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by monkeydave
My note just says all with the White Orchid color-----but of course there's more to it than just that so see your local Honda dealership for details, or wait for the owner notification from Honda (make sure your owner info is current and correct with Honda so it goes to the correct address)

Old 06-12-2019, 08:06 PM
5 Year Member
my jazz was made in japan and is a late 2018 car with orchid white pearl, the paint looks great on the body panels and i havent had any stone chips on the bonnet yet, this is a worry if it effects every white car worldwide, im in the uk if that makes the difference

its strange it is just this colour, it has a clear coat over the top you would have thought red or orange would be the ones to go first and nothing about black pearl either which is the only other pearl colour very strange

thanks for your replys

you did say yours was a GE ? isnt that the Mk2 jazz/fit like my blue jazz i had and not the Mk3 current model

Last edited by monkeydave; 06-12-2019 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:48 AM
Hey everyone, my post above with pictures attached was just approved by the mods - and it was placed where it would have been if it posted originally (few days before). So, not sure if people saw it or not.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:30 AM
5 Year Member
glad i came to this thread... i have the same issue in the middle of my roof also, although it just started and is very small... i plan on taking the car to honda next week

Old 06-27-2019, 10:57 AM
the paint is unnecessarily thin, i should have gotten a clear bra done. my front bumper and hood are going to shit. my kid and his friends have scratched the rear bumper's deck in more places i can count. though nothing peeling or fading as above. honestly plasti-dipping it at this point is probably the way to go.

Old 07-02-2019, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member
Was informed that my car is covered under the extended paint warranty for 7 years and unlimited mileage.

Honda will only cover the roof at this time. They've denied coverage for the paint peeling where the door meets the roof on both sides, saying that it was caused by a rock chip.

Can't wait to be rid of this car. I just hope my injectors, coils, and catalytic converter don't go out before then.

Old 07-06-2019, 07:00 PM
2015 White Pearl Peeling Paint

Hello,
Just a quick reply -- our paint on our 2015 Fit looks exactly like your pictures.
Peeling on Roof - big peel; Peeling on both rear door sills
LOTS of round and round with local Honda. They offered 50% paint for part of the car -- out of pocket to us $1600.
Negotiated to $1000 for full paint -- except they didn't paint bumbers or mirrors.
new paint = good
The fact that it failed so badly = bad
Not very happy with Honda

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Paint freely peeling off?