3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Paint freely peeling off?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 12:39 AM
5 Year Member
Paint freely peeling off?

I had previous issues with my White Orchid Pearl 2015 paint that have since been "fixed" by the dealer paint shop. They did a pretty bad job as well as adding multiple chips and scratches to my exterior and interior.

Previous paint issues here

New Paint Issue Here

Has anyone seen paint peel off like this? Any info on the reasons why? It doesn't seem to be attached to the metal at all.

There is a chip near the area, but the metal is clean and not rusted underneath. Just by looking at it I can tell that the paint is not bonded with the metal.

Do I have any ground for Honda to fix this problem? I know that a fix would likely just be a bandaid, I can imagine this problem extends pretty far on my car.

Anyway, multiple issues with this car, which is my first Honda. Now I'm concerned about DI carbon buildup as well.

Last edited by 8strung; 10-23-2017 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:11 AM
5 Year Member
That looks awful. Reminds me of the paint issues that plagued the Dodge neons and ram trucks.

Old 10-23-2017, 11:14 AM
5 Year Member
Not had the problem with either Fit (including my Orchid White Pearl ‘15), but my ‘92 Shadow has that issue. Paint didn’t adhere to the primer coat.

Old 10-23-2017, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry, mine's great after 3.5 years.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member
Called Honda to get a case number. First paint issues cropped up within 60 days of purchasing car.

Will be going to dealer this week to let them take pics and talk to the regional manager. Hopefully Honda will act in good faith, as my car has had paint issues from the start. Fingers crossed.

This is in addition to my manufacturing defective rear alignment. Hoping to get something done about this.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:38 PM
5 Year Member
That's too bad.
Especially because you say this is your first new car.

That's a horrible peeling.

I hope Honda helps you. But not only do you need it fixed but you want it fixed right. If the work done before was substandard, hard to believe it would get any better.

If it was me? Before I even dealt with this round with Honda? I might take it to a few higher rated, reputable body and paint shops and get some opinions.

Someone who really knows there stuff can tell you what is going on.
But it ain't good.

Old 10-25-2017, 06:54 AM
5 Year Member
Your first paint problem kind of reminds me of my Fit. My daughter's 2008 Civic also had paint issues they fixed 6 years and 11 months after purchase. The Civic had delamination issues and Honda extended their warranty for 7 years, I forget the mile limitation. I only owned my Fit for 12 months, manufactured in Mexico in January 2015. Within a month after having it, the clear coat was compromised and water was being absorbed giving it a cloudy appearance (like the side of your Fit). Honda paid to strip the clear off several panels and re-clear. It looked good after that, but not perfect. Where is my Fit today? I have no idea. Dumped it on the market after 12 months for a multitude of issues. I've attached some pics of my clear coat issue. The problems you experienced on the front fender reminds me of mine. I would be relentless with Honda on the peeling issue. By the way, you said Honda paid for the initial problem repairs? Is the area peeling an area which was 'fixed' by the initial repair? If so, maybe the body shop will help. The body shop affiliated with the dealer in my case warranted my clear work for the life of the car as long as I owned it. That was in writing.

Attached Thumbnails Paint freely peeling off?-img_1937.jpg   Paint freely peeling off?-img_1948.jpg  
Old 10-25-2017, 03:13 PM
5 Year Member
That paint peeling looks pretty bad.

WOP 2016 Hecho en Mexico, no issues. When it is clean (rare) there is sparkle in the sunlight. Very subtle.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member
I took it to the dealer that they contacted the regional rep. The car is obviously out of warranty, but they are still offering to do a 50/50 split.

While it is a generous offer, I feel that since the paint issues started within 60 days of purchase when new, that the paint should be covered as a manufacturing defect. I will be contacting American Honda, but I do not expect that Honda will offer to fix my car.

I don't expect to take them up on their offer, as I'm concerned that there will be more paint issues in the future.

All things considered, this is my first Honda and first new car, and I regret many things about my purchase. It has shaped my expectations for future car purchases, I doubt I will buy new again, it has not been worth it. I also expect the car to lose more value due to the defective paint.

Live and learn, I guess!

Old 11-07-2017, 08:22 AM
5 Year Member
Just out of curiosity...

Originally Posted by 8strung
I took it to the dealer that they contacted the regional rep. The car is obviously out of warranty, but they are still offering to do a 50/50 split.

While it is a generous offer, I feel that since the paint issues started within 60 days of purchase when new, that the paint should be covered as a manufacturing defect. I will be contacting American Honda, but I do not expect that Honda will offer to fix my car.

I don't expect to take them up on their offer, as I'm concerned that there will be more paint issues in the future.

All things considered, this is my first Honda and first new car, and I regret many things about my purchase. It has shaped my expectations for future car purchases, I doubt I will buy new again, it has not been worth it. I also expect the car to lose more value due to the defective paint.

Live and learn, I guess!
Why are you not going to take them up on the 50/50 split?
While you are right, there could be future issues, at least this would address what is happening right now.

I hate to say it, but I'd probably let them fix it, at a 50% cost to me, then think or investigate trading in on something else. Sometimes, it's just easier to move on. Especially if you've lost faith in the paint, the dealership, and Honda in general.

If you keep it with the paint peeled that badly...and/or it inevitably starts rusting the value of your vehicle is going to plummet.
At this point, I'd be looking at restoring value, and probably making a switch.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
Why are you not going to take them up on the 50/50 split?
While you are right, there could be future issues, at least this would address what is happening right now.

I hate to say it, but I'd probably let them fix it, at a 50% cost to me, then think or investigate trading in on something else. Sometimes, it's just easier to move on. Especially if you've lost faith in the paint, the dealership, and Honda in general.

If you keep it with the paint peeled that badly...and/or it inevitably starts rusting the value of your vehicle is going to plummet.
At this point, I'd be looking at restoring value, and probably making a switch.
From what I understand the value of a vehicle decreases once any paint work is done, and I already have had paint work due to faulty paint during the first defect as well as a fender bender.

My concern is that I will fix this issue, and then it will occur again in another spot.

The last time the dealers body shop took 1100 dollars to do the repair, although I personally believe they inflated the price as it was covered by warranty.

It is a question of diminishing returns. At which point does my time and money become worth more than fighting an uphill battle on a utility? The car is supposed to make my life easier, not the other way around.

On top of this, I simply don't have the money to purchase another vehicle. Any vehicle I can buy with my trade-in would be much higher mileage and older, possibly less mechanically sound.

The only thing that could make it worse is if I end up with injector issues or carbon buildup like others have, but if I don't have these issues and the vehicle continues to work mechanically then I will at least have a functioning car.

Like I said, I simply don't have the money to purchase another vehicle, or pay for faulty paint. My intention when buying this car was to not have to worry about that for many years.

Old 11-07-2017, 01:48 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
understandable.. kinda like my home appliance situation. every faking appliance i bought in the last 5 yrs all broke within 2 yrs just after warranty! the ONLY reason why i replaced them was because the ones i had earlier was over 10 yrs old so thought it'd be a good time to replace them before they broke down. BAD MOVE!!

lol

Old 11-07-2017, 04:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
understandable.. kinda like my home appliance situation. every faking appliance i bought in the last 5 yrs all broke within 2 yrs just after warranty! the ONLY reason why i replaced them was because the ones i had earlier was over 10 yrs old so thought it'd be a good time to replace them before they broke down. BAD MOVE!!

lol
I have had similar experiences lately. Seems everything I replace with new, more expensive models ends up being inferior.

This makes me sound like a crotchety old man, but I swear nothing is as good as it used to be and manufactures aren't standing behind the junk they are producing. VW just denied assistance with the defective rotors on our brand new car and the paint is getting worse. I almost hope it does peal like 8strung's Fit just so I can raise a big ole' stink.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 8strung
From what I understand the value of a vehicle decreases once any paint work is done, and I already have had paint work due to faulty paint during the first defect as well as a fender bender.
Vehicles get repainted all the time.
If the work is done right?
Most people won't even know.

And any loss of value an admitted to repaint might create, would be far less than that of a vehicle with visible pealing paint.

Did you ever take the vehicle to an independent body shop or paint shop for some second opinions?
My experience....is there are a lot of varying levels of competency in the auto body repair world.
A skilled, experienced auto painter/body shop person should be able to tell you exactly what is going on, and what to expect.

I understand budget.
If you can't afford to make a switch.

But then the question becomes, can you afford to keep a vehicle that's paint is pealing off, and then becomes at risk for rusting?

PS.
You have my sympathy in dealing with this reality. It's too bad Honda isn't backing it better. You really shouldn't have to deal with this type of problem this early in the vehicles life.

Last edited by fitchet; 11-08-2017 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:16 AM
2015 Honda Fit

I bought a 2015 Honda Fit from Gillman Subaru North, and they have an attached Honda dealership next to them called Gillman Honda in 2017-2018 with 48,000 miles. Within a year, the paint started peeling. I took it back there, had them look at it, they said they couldn't help, I said, I haven't had it a year, they said sorry. Went to the Honda dealership, they put in a request to Honda and Honda denied the claim. I spoke to Honda corporate and they said they have no issues with Honda Fit paint peeling and will note my account but can't help. You would think they would have a class action lawsuit, I'll join it if I see one.

I tried to patch this to stop it and it's peeling to the left of the patch now.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
Wow. I’m no expert but from my limited experience it looks like there’s a problem with surface preparation causing the paint not to adhere. I’m not a professional painter, but I know that about 80% of a paint job lies in the preparation of the surface underneath.

My Fit has held up just fine through five upstate NY winters and the paint still looks like new, so it’s not likely the paint itself.

Old 05-09-2019, 01:15 PM
5 Year Member
Conversely, my Milano Red paint looks perfect 5 years in through searing Tampa Bay heat and several tropical storms. Sorry to hear about your problems.

Old 05-09-2019, 01:43 PM
5 Year Member
Could it be because it was painted in Mexico and not in Japan? I have had no problem with my '17 Modern Steel Metallic (purchased Nov, 2016), made in Japan, lives mostly in the garage though.

Old 05-09-2019, 02:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wasserball
Could it be because it was painted in Mexico and not in Japan? I have had no problem with my '17 Modern Steel Metallic (purchased Nov, 2016), made in Japan, lives mostly in the garage though.
My ‘15 in Orchid White Pearl was painted in Mexico and is perfect after being exposed to heavy road salt for several winters so all Mexican made Fits are not equally affected.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:53 PM
5 Year Member
I figured I should post an update since this thread has been revived.

Paint has continued to peel freely. The wind drag from driving is enough to continue the peeling process.

If I had repainted it back when it started it would have continued to peel. I have seen other white Hondas on the road with this same problem (other models than Fit). I believe the entire roof needs to be repainted. This is a manufacturing defect in the paint or surface prep.

At this point I am at 85xxx miles and will continue to drive the car and take a hit when I sell it for something better.

I will not be purchasing Honda again.

Quick Reply: Paint freely peeling off?