3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

About to buy a FIT, a few questions!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 01:21 AM
About to buy a FIT, a few questions!

Hey guys, I'm currently looking for deals on some fits (in southern california), I feel that the better deals are towards the 2015 models (I prefer the EX). I'm just wondering what your guys thoughts are on this specific year.

The one that I'm interested at the moment is CPO'd with 18,800 miles on it. I went to the dealership and negotiated, original OTD was $16,890 ( including taxes, fees, licensing). With my calculations through the ca dmv website it should have been $16,633 maybe the sales person was pulling a fast one on me (which made me a little bitter since there was a difference of $250 that I could have bargained with). The manager came out and said $15,900 is the lowest he'll go. There are things that I didn't take into account with the negotiation such as the limited warranty has only 10 months left, and that there was a noticeable scratch to the rear corner bumper..

The sales person and I have been in contact for the last day and I'm supposed to go and purchase the vehicle, do you think I can re-negotiate? Sounds like I'd be that pain in the ass customer, but I figure the people in this business turn out to be dicks once they get what they want.

What do you think about this price? Other posters say its a bit high for what it is, but in this area it seems like the best value since other places are asking 1k+ for the same year with 30K+ miles. And also considering it's 3 years old, I thought this thing would have cost a bit cheaper myself.

Are there any issues with this particular model/trim? It's manufactured in Mexico and I've heard mixed opinions on this, too.

I guess I'm just having second thoughts on going forward with the purchase, but I'd appreciate the input..

Old 10-24-2017, 03:28 AM
5 Year Member
Ugh had this long reply and it got wiped since I'm on mobile. 2015 fit had 4 recalls last I checked. There is one known issue with the acutator and Honda is not officially addressing that issue. If you really want a fit go for the 2016 fit (at least that's a J VIN) I believe the 2017's , production went back to Mexico. To tell you honestly, look at the Kia forte5 or Mazdas hatch 3? At least they have their quality control in check and you can get a CPO for around the same price

Old 10-24-2017, 03:48 AM
5 Year Member
BTW looks like you're in so cal . What dealer did you go to?

Old 10-24-2017, 05:34 AM
5 Year Member
Fitty, it would be a whole lot more useful to us if you stated the selling price of the vehicle 'less' the standard costs associated with purchasing in your area. I don't know what you tax rates are, if your local municipalities levy any special fees, what your DMV fees are, and if there are any special fees like environmental fees or the like. Can you tell us what the base price of the FIT is instead of the OTD price? That way, we'll be able to tell you whether we *think* it is a good deal. The extra charges are special to your market and location and you should be able to tell if they have been applied correctly. By the way, I HAD a 2015 Fit and couldn't run fast enough away from it. My personal experiences may not be reflective of the car in general, but it was the worst car I ever owned. Owned it a whopping 12 months, 18,000 miles, and was relieved to hand the keys over to the used car salesman. Problem areas for me: paint, body panel alignment, interior panels that loosened over time and had to constantly be refastened, wind noise, water leaks, warped rotors. Lots of other minor annoyances.

Old 10-24-2017, 06:31 AM
Fifty, which transmission? I've never driven the manual, but some people have problems with gear engagement.

From your description, the used car dealer sound like douche's who are pressuring you into buying since you're interested in buying.

One additional thing to list on top of Rooster's issues is also the cold weather rattle (not sure about Cali weather though) that some of us, including myself get.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:49 AM
5 Year Member
Like what was mentioned there were several recalls on the 2015. Front bumper reinforcement, cvt, door handle, ignition coil and a interior trim piece (air bag related if I remember correctly). My car had cvt and door handle done and I believe the bumper reinforcement was done prior to delivery to me.

Some have complained of starter issues lately. Their cars taking multiple attempts to start before finally doing so. I would walk away from this car if they don't replace the starter.

2015s had some failed batteries stranding some folks.

I think it was motortrend or caranddriver who complained about the warped rotors on their long term tester.

Here are two that I personally experienced:

Rear wheel liner drooping - I had this fixed under recall as well as a blemish on the driver window glass.

Front bumper sag- I recently fixed it but had to do myself as Honda was unwilling. Turned out to be a $.25 piece of foam!

Dash garnish on drivers side isn't aligned.

Other than the fit and finish, the car has been trouble free. I've got about 50k at this point and it's been regular maintenance only and a new set of tires.

As far as the scratch,nothing you can do since you're purchasing a USED car. If you don't like the scratch, look for another car or ask them to lower the price.

Hondas and Fits have had some of the best resale values, so not much you can do there if it's inline with KBB and NADA.

As far as negotiating, yes! The deal isn't done until paperwork is signed. You can always walk away. Don't feel guilty about it, there are other cars/dealers out there and the there are other buyers of car. This is a big purchase and if you're not totally happy why enter into the contract?

Old 10-24-2017, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by sixth
Ugh had this long reply and it got wiped since I'm on mobile. 2015 fit had 4 recalls last I checked. There is one known issue with the acutator and Honda is not officially addressing that issue. If you really want a fit go for the 2016 fit (at least that's a J VIN) I believe the 2017's , production went back to Mexico. To tell you honestly, look at the Kia forte5 or Mazdas hatch 3? At least they have their quality control in check and you can get a CPO for around the same price

yeah I’ve read the carfax on the car but nothing is reported as far as recalls.. is it possible they don’t report this sometimes? I will go back and clarify about the recalls with the dealership because most 2015s I have researched have recalls reported. And if this is CPO’d just last month wouldn’t they fix all the recalls anyway?

Old 10-24-2017, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by Rooster
Fitty, it would be a whole lot more useful to us if you stated the selling price of the vehicle 'less' the standard costs associated with purchasing in your area. I don't know what you tax rates are, if your local municipalities levy any special fees, what your DMV fees are, and if there are any special fees like environmental fees or the like. Can you tell us what the base price of the FIT is instead of the OTD price? That way, we'll be able to tell you whether we *think* it is a good deal. The extra charges are special to your market and location and you should be able to tell if they have been applied correctly. By the way, I HAD a 2015 Fit and couldn't run fast enough away from it. My personal experiences may not be reflective of the car in general, but it was the worst car I ever owned. Owned it a whopping 12 months, 18,000 miles, and was relieved to hand the keys over to the used car salesman. Problem areas for me: paint, body panel alignment, interior panels that loosened over time and had to constantly be refastened, wind noise, water leaks, warped rotors. Lots of other minor annoyances.

the car is listed for $14,999 which is really fair considering the mileage and CPO versus other dealerships listing anywhere from 1-2k more for the same year and trim with or without CPO and 25k+ miles. I’m in california and plugged in the 14,999 into the ca dmv website to get total taxes, fees, licensing which came out to 16,633... the sales person gave me 16,890 which was weird I should have had home calculate everything clearly.. maybe the 257 difference was the dealer fee but he mentioned that this dealer fee was included in the 14,999. Maybe he was trying to pull a fast one on me so he had more room to negotiate (should I have him explain how he got 16,890 after the fact)?

Your experience with the fit is a bit discouraging but I’m hoping this specific fit should still be a decent car with the CPO and warranty to back it up. I did notice they replaced the tires resurfaced the rotor and changed battery which I found odd being that the mileage was so low... got me thinking the previous owner beat the shit out of it on her 3 mike commute to work. We’re these issues you were having a common issue with 2015 fit owners in general, as in did you research and find that other people were having the same issues

Im just wondering why this car is priced so much less with the mileage and CPO

Last edited by fittytitty; 10-24-2017 at 02:27 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fittytitty
yeah I’ve read the carfax on the car but nothing is reported as far as recalls.. is it possible they don’t report this sometimes? I will go back and clarify about the recalls with the dealership because most 2015s I have researched have recalls reported. And if this is CPO’d just last month wouldn’t they fix all the recalls anyway?
They will not automatically fix recalls, cpo or not.

If you've got the VIN, plug it into here to see if there are any outstanding recalls: Recall Information for Safety & Defects | Honda Owners Site

Old 10-24-2017, 02:22 PM
5 Year Member
Damn resale is real good. I got my 2015 EX CVT brand new OTD for about 20K in VA. So used ones are only a few thousand less from what it seems.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
They will not automatically fix recalls, cpo or not.

If you've got the VIN, plug it into here to see if there are any outstanding recalls: Recall Information for Safety & Defects Honda Owners Site

should this his give me more room for negotiation when I go back to see the vehicle?

edit: just checked and no recalls found, does this mean they fixed the recalls or that there were none to begin with?

Last edited by fittytitty; 10-24-2017 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:33 PM
Damn resale is real good. I got my 2015 EX CVT brand new OTD for about 20K in VA. So used ones are only a few thousand less from what it seems.

yeah. I feel like I’m being duped cause on other forums people are saying this is priced a bit higher and they’ve gotten their fits cheaper (even 2016’s with less miles). And considering this is a 3 year old car I thought it woulda been at least in the lowers 10’s (but I did just sell my 2013 civic for around that price with double the miles)

Old 10-24-2017, 02:38 PM
5 Year Member
So I just plugged the numbers into KBB and in my ZIP the range is between 13832-16293 and that's likely before taxes/tags/dealer fees etc. It's probably similar in your area. Not sure if those others are buying CPOs or just used from dealerships.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by Action Jackson
Fifty, which transmission? I've never driven the manual, but some people have problems with gear engagement.

From your description, the used car dealer sound like douche's who are pressuring you into buying since you're interested in buying.

One additional thing to list on top of Rooster's issues is also the cold weather rattle (not sure about Cali weather though) that some of us, including myself get.

Yeah I go into car dealerships with complete disregard of respect because I think they’re scum (previous experience with a bad deal). This salesperson wasn’t cocky or arrogant (sure his demeanor will turn if I ever need help after deal is completed), but yeah once they start to push it gets annoying, but the pressure wasn’t so bad it was actually tolerable and straightforward.

This car is auto, doesn’t get too cold here in SoCal I’m sure I’d be more sensitive to our lows of 40 degrees than the car itself haha

Old 10-24-2017, 02:48 PM
So I just plugged the numbers into KBB and in my ZIP the range is between 13832-16293 and that's likely before taxes/tags/dealer fees etc. It's probably similar in your area. Not sure if those others are buying CPOs or just used from dealerships.

i actually tried figuring out the ranges for this car in several cities: Portland, Las Vegas, and Phoenix and they’re all about the same prices throughout. One guy who said he got his for 13k was in NY but I’m sure this guy just came up on a good deal or it wasn’t CPO or maybe it was a lower trim with more miles

Old 10-24-2017, 02:55 PM
Like what was mentioned there were several recalls on the 2015. Front bumper reinforcement, cvt, door handle, ignition coil and a interior trim piece (air bag related if I remember correctly). My car had cvt and door handle done and I believe the bumper reinforcement was done prior to delivery to me.

Some have complained of starter issues lately. Their cars taking multiple attempts to start before finally doing so. I would walk away from this car if they don't replace the starter.

2015s had some failed batteries stranding some folks.

I think it was motortrend or caranddriver who complained about the warped rotors on their long term tester.

Here are two that I personally experienced:

Rear wheel liner drooping - I had this fixed under recall as well as a blemish on the driver window glass.

Front bumper sag- I recently fixed it but had to do myself as Honda was unwilling. Turned out to be a $.25 piece of foam!

Dash garnish on drivers side isn't aligned.

Other than the fit and finish, the car has been trouble free. I've got about 50k at this point and it's been regular maintenance only and a new set of tires.

As far as the scratch,nothing you can do since you're purchasing a USED car. If you don't like the scratch, look for another car or ask them to lower the price.

Hondas and Fits have had some of the best resale values, so not much you can do there if it's inline with KBB and NADA.

As far as negotiating, yes! The deal isn't done until paperwork is signed. You can always walk away. Don't feel guilty about it, there are other cars/dealers out there and the there are other buyers of car. This is a big purchase and if you're not totally happy why enter into the contract?

when I saw the car it was already dark out so I’m gonna have to inspect a bit more and push down on some of the panels to make sure everything is in place (I’m sure since this is already CPO’d it should be in almost perfect condition).

Old 10-24-2017, 02:59 PM
Is it possible to have shit CPO vehicle? I mean I just read lemon laws may will not cover this since it’s CPO, I’m guessing it makes sense since there is warranty and Honda must repair whatever issues..

but is is it possible that even the car has been certified that it could end up being problematic?

Old 10-24-2017, 04:07 PM
Dudes. This guy is pushing the sale, I'm currently finalizing my own private sale (currently getting inspected at dealership per buyer request) and in the meantime im back and forth with the salesman via text who initially offered to arrange to pick me up as I have no ride at this time to the dealership. After I told him I'm 30 mins away he suggested I take uber and that he would compensate with a $100 gift card in the mail. After I said I will have to see (because I'm still waiting for my own transaction to complete) he then says he will clock out and personally pick me up. I felt kinda guilty from the passiveness of the situation, but this is like desperation right? What the fuck is wrong with these vehicle lol

edit: so experienced buyers: what must i absolutely look at when it comes to the paperwork as far as the inspection checklist, carfax, repair order, warranty, etc... are there common things people tend to look over? i read somewhere about a person's situation saying the dealership was trying to have them sign an arbitrator form which they had declined and specifically wrote on this form "i do not agree to" and signed, i guess that later ended up being the saving grace when the situation ended up in court between the dealership and buyer. i just dont want to get swindled.

Last edited by fittytitty; 10-24-2017 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:12 PM
5 Year Member
He's just trying to make the sale... Sharks got to keep moving etc...

Old 10-24-2017, 05:14 PM
I'd wait. Don't let him pressure you. There are other GK5's out there.

Best thing is to bring a mechanic (or mechanically inclined friend) along especially someone familiar with these cars. This car is still relatively new, so you might not see any particular problems.

Too bad you're so far, I'd offer to take a look.

Quick Reply: About to buy a FIT, a few questions!