Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Morimoto M-LED Projector Retrofit On GK5

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator
Morimoto M-LED Projector Retrofit On GK5

I decided to pull the trigger and had 818 Retrofits (@koolkevin1107) retrofit my headlights with the new Morimoto M-LED projectors and Apollo 2.0 Flat shrouds.

Kevin was kind enough to document the process for me so I could share it with you all.

NOTE: All pictures were taken by 818 Retrofits unless noted otherwise.

Before the retrofitting process:

During the retrofitting process:

Finished product:

These last few pictures were taken by me. Check out that cutoff!

I provided Kevin with tinting vinyl for my fog lights to compliment my new headlights.

The film used was "JDM Yellow" LightWrap vinyl by Luxe Auto Concepts.

I am very happy with the finished product and could not have asked for better service!

Kevin answered all of my questions and even gave me a demo of the Morimoto M-LED projector to help me decide which route I wanted to go!

If you are looking to have your headlights retrofitted, look no further!

Check out more of his awesome work via the link below:

https://www.instagram.com/818_retrofits/

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/member.php?u=9678

Last edited by USDM; 10-31-2017 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:55 PM
5 Year Member
Bro that looks great. What did that end up costing if you don't mind me asking?

Another thing I noticed is you have a bumper support (71173-T5R-A10 https://www.hondapartsnow.com/diagra...er-2833987.png #33) that I didn't have on my 2015. I was just in there fixing my sagging front bumper, and had to fab up a piece of foam.

Old 10-31-2017, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator
Glad to see a GK going the right way of doing things.

Old 10-31-2017, 04:34 PM
Nice! Awesome light setup.

Old 10-31-2017, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
Bro that looks great. What did that end up costing if you don't mind me asking?

Another thing I noticed is you have a bumper support (71173-T5R-A10 https://www.hondapartsnow.com/diagra...er-2833987.png #33) that I didn't have on my 2015. I was just in there fixing my sagging front bumper, and had to fab up a piece of foam.
Thank you very much!

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...rojectors.html

Originally Posted by YeahItFits
Glad to see a GK going the right way of doing things.
Thank you, sir!

Originally Posted by NiteFlight
Nice! Awesome light setup.
Thank you very much! I'm very happy with the results.

Old 11-01-2017, 12:58 AM
5 Year Member
I see $400 for the parts in your link, but how much for labor? How many hours went into just the fitting new lights into the headlight housings?

Old 11-01-2017, 01:11 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by hasdrubal
I see $400 for the parts in your link, but how much for labor? How many hours went into just the fitting new lights into the headlight housings?
Cost will vary based on numerous variables. If you're really interested, contact @koolkevin1107 for more information.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:57 AM
5 Year Member
The lights look great, but cost will vary isn't a useful answer. That's probably my fault for not asking a specific enough question, obviously if someone charges $100/hr for labor, it will cost more than a different guy who charges $50/hr, unless the second guy needs twice as long to get the work done. Like how long is a piece of string?

I'm not in California, so taking my car to the same guy you went to isn't really an option. Was hoping for a ballpark figure on the whole job for your car, so if I find someone local I can tell if they're trying to pad their bill. If you don't want to post that, though, then no problem.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:10 PM
These look really good.
I was actually thinking of doing their HID kits for my headlights and fogs but just doing a bulb swap with their kits. In Mississippi sometimes the splash lighting is what saves your bacon when the deer are bad. Now that its "cold" there are herds of 12-20 you can spot just chilling in the tree line waiting to play chicken with your car.

The cut off on your headlights is clean as hell though.

It would be about 350ish for headlights and fogs for just the HID kits.

Old 11-01-2017, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by hasdrubal
I'm not in California, so taking my car to the same guy you went to isn't really an option. Was hoping for a ballpark figure on the whole job for your car, so if I find someone local I can tell if they're trying to pad their bill. If you don't want to post that, though, then no problem.
Actually, if you're interested, 818 Retrofits can build you a set and ship it out to you!

I would prefer not to share what I paid, sorry. Thanks for your understanding.

Originally Posted by SouthernFitFella
These look really good.
I was actually thinking of doing their HID kits for my headlights and fogs but just doing a bulb swap with their kits. In Mississippi sometimes the splash lighting is what saves your bacon when the deer are bad. Now that its "cold" there are herds of 12-20 you can spot just chilling in the tree line waiting to play chicken with your car.

The cut off on your headlights is clean as hell though.

It would be about 350ish for headlights and fogs for just the HID kits.
Thank you! Personally, I was sold on the simplicity of the Morimoto M-LED projector.

Last edited by USDM; 11-01-2017 at 07:46 PM.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:20 AM
Thank you! Personally, I was sold on the simplicity of the Morimoto M-LED projector.
Now that I am looking at them and considering the labor for the HID set up, it may actually be cheaper/ easier to just go with these. Added bonus that they look amazing.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:42 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by SouthernFitFella
Now that I am looking at them and considering the labor for the HID set up, it may actually be cheaper/ easier to just go with these. Added bonus that they look amazing.
Truth be told, they both have their pros and cons. Make sure you do some reading to help you decide which option will best suit your needs.

Old 11-24-2017, 06:13 PM
5 Year Member
Looks super dope, I'm amazed they don't stick out like a sore thumb. But the projectors really look right at home in there.

Old 11-24-2017, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Spyke
Looks super dope, I'm amazed they don't stick out like a sore thumb. But the projectors really look right at home in there.
Thank you for the kind words! I did practically zero "homework" on what they'd look like before going ahead with the retrofit.

To be honest, that was a bit daring, but I am extremely happy with how they turned out.

I've had a few people tell me that it looks OEM which is a huge compliment.

Old 11-24-2017, 06:33 PM
5 Year Member
It really does look sharp and proper. This might be something I undertake if I happen upon a spare set of headlights.

Old 06-17-2020, 06:26 PM
Super cool. Got to try this

Old 06-29-2020, 08:04 PM
Wow those look great!

Old 01-05-2021, 10:26 PM
For anyone who's reading this thread in 2020 wondering how much someone might charge for this type of job, here's my insight. I have done 5 HID/LED retrofits in my time, since 2009 and when you're doing it for the first time, it takes forever, especially if you have to break out the Dremel. But with the easy install projectors from Morimoto, the time it takes is all dependent on how long it takes you to remove the front bumper cover and the headlights. It takes me now a little over an hour to remove and re-install. Then factor in about 30 minutes for the actual headlight opening. That's time in the oven, about 10 minutes per headlight at 250 degrees F, then another 2-3 minutes separating the lens from the housing base. If the projector threads right up through the headlight bulb hole, factor in another 20-30 minutes assuming you don't have to make any adjustments to the cutoff line. That's assuming that the H4 adapter that these projector kits comes with works ideally. Sometimes you just have to leave it out and make adjustments with the headlights on the car. Once all the adjustments are finished and you have the parts and inside of the headlight cleaned up, probably take another 10-15 minutes to get it nice and dust-free, oven again to heat up the seal and get them headlights nice and sealed up. So probably 2-3 hours of labor involved and if you assume continental shop rates, budget about $250 on top of the cost of parts for the retrofit. With the MLED kit, TRS now includes shrouds to put on the lens holders at a discount versus buying them separately. So about $400 for the LEDs and about $350 for some proper HIDs with D2S projectors. I say proper, because I did this retrofit on my 2010 with the 2.0s and I was honestly disappointed with the performance of the LEDs. So probably about $650-$700 total for one of the most important upgrades you can make on your car. Well worth it and fun if you learn to do it yourself, but not everyone is mechanically inclined and wouldn't dare doing this job.